The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:12:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM community site for Facebook users  (Read 36907 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: January 04, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »

I created an Amateur Radio AM community site for facebook.  It's there to promote the AM mode to other hams.  I know that I have many ham radio "friends" on facebook that might not be exposed to the AM stuff otherwise.

If you're a facebook user, please consider joining and liking this page and looking around.  If you are not a facebook user, you can still access some of the stuff there.  Be sure to look at the "Wall".

It's not a competition, it's just a place for AM on Facebook and should compliment this site and Steve's AMwindow site with links to them.  Any other internet resources / links /videos /photos /information is certainly welcome there.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amateur-Radio-AM-mode/167171563328186

Enjoy.

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:01:24 AM »

How would we behave in an UNmoderated environment??
Is it tech talk, or we just show pics of us and our stations and who has the biggest MAUL?Huh

I'll check it out
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »

At this point it is an experiment.  Obviously Facebook has a LOT of people and a lot of hams.  Let's try to make our AM community attractive and maybe we'll bring some good people into the fold.  At the very least it's something to "like".  Cool

AMI#1684
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »

no, thank you
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »

Steve, it's not for everyone I suppose.  But if you are someone with a facebook account, then it's a nice gesture to support with a "like".  It's gaining fans already and I see someone has posted a picture of their station!  Exactly what I was hoping for.

AMI#1684
KL7OF

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »

I believe facebook is evil....
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:17:55 PM »

'  I believe facebook is evil.... "

I'm very warry of joining a group that would have me as a member.

klc

What? Me worry?
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »

I am a member of FaceLook. I was dragged in kicking and biting all the way.

One of the things I thought was amusing was that other hams wanted me to be their friend on FaceLook? I couldn't understand why they wanted to be my friend when we don't Email one-another, we don't talk on the phone and seldom talk on the air? Now don't get me wrong, I like most who wanted to be my friend but I still wonder why or what they would have to talk to me about? I guess I'll never know.

Well anyhow, if it makes you feel good and no one is injured in the process, why not go for your adventure but I'll not be joining, at least not yet Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »

Facebook is addictive.  It is really a great tool for reconnecting with old friends, classmates and family.  I don't know if it is a needed or necessarily correct venue for radio amateurs because we have so many other outlets, including AM fone.  I, however, think that it is fine if you want to participate.  Any way we can get the word out and reach young potential radio amateurs has to be a good thing.  Certainly a lot of kids hang out on FB. As far as specialties within amateur radio....again we have many other ways to get together, but whatever works.

Enjoy!!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »

How would we behave in an UNmoderated environment??
Is it tech talk, or we just show pics of us and our stations and who has the biggest MAUL?Huh

I'll check it out
Fred

You know Fred I have been thinking for a very long time that I might create an AM Forum on my AM Forever site as well. I have unlimited bandwidth and storage, etc. Videos could also be posted.

I think having an unmoderated environment would be great. It could just be set it up to where is would scan and remove certain bads words and links etc. automatically. That way people could say what they want without have any political opposition and that would be very refreshing for once. More power to the unmoderated Facebook idea!

We've been there and done that.  Some of you might remember the late and unlamented AMInquirer section of AMFone.  It attracted people whose only interest in the site was to troll and engage in political arguments.  It spawned at least two short-lived separate forums, which attracted the same set of troublemakers.  Long-standing friendships were lost; hence, the rules of the road we have now.

Brian, if you have issues with the moderation policies here you need to address them directly with me via PM or email.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »

Unmoderated forums can be like the wild west. After awhile the bullies take over, the "good guys" finally give up devoting time to defending themselves and the remaining lurkers become too afraid to post. The climax is when people start threatening to sue each other for libel... Grin

Sure, they can work, but the several ham radio forum examples I've seen so far were stressful places to be...

A certain minimum level of moderation is a good thang for everyone.

That said, maybe Facebook could be a good media to showcase AM. It's worth a try.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »

Yeah, my 20 year old grandson said he was bored on Facebook.  I told him to try getting out and find a job so he wouldn't be so bored.  Now my daughters won't speak to me. Go figure! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »

I think having an unmoderated environment would be great. It could just be set it up to where is would scan and remove certain bads words and links etc. automatically. That way people could say what they want without have any political opposition and that would be very refreshing for once. More power to the unmoderated Facebook idea!

We've been there and done that.  Some of you might remember the late and unlamented AMInquirer section of AMFone.  It attracted people whose only interest in the site was to troll and engage in political arguments.  It spawned at least two short-lived separate forums, which attracted the same set of troublemakers.  Long-standing friendships were lost; hence, the rules of the road we have now.

Brian, if you have issues with the moderation policies here you need to address them directly with me via PM or email.

But things can go too far the other way.  Like that other site we are all famaliar with, that has a "ragchew" forum similar to the QSO forum here.  They are so paranoid that something might turn political, or that someone might start a flame war, that as soon as the least bit of controversy shows up in a thread, it gets locked or deleted altogether.  The result is that the whole thing has become boring and for the most part, pointless.  I rarely post anything there any more.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »

Nice idea but not for me sorry to say. I'm happy with AMFone. I don't think anything can beat it.

Family members urged my wife and I to sign onto Facebook so we did. It lasted about 2 weeks. Then I was asked to sign up for LinkedIn by  a coworker which is similar to Facebook but more oriented to jobs and so forth.  I did that briefly as well then after thinking about the nature of my job I pulled the plug on it. I figured a resourceful and unscrupulous type could cause problems so no for me.  I suppose I should change my username (not use callsign) to something more innocuous if to remain as private as possible on the net. I thought about doing that here.  Still contemplating.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

Unmoderated forums can be like the wild west. After awhile the bullies take over, the "good guys" finally give up devoting time to defending themselves and the remaining lurkers become too afraid to post. The climax is when people start threatening to sue each other for libel... Grin

T

Ya just gotta have thick skin Grin  If you cant take the heat then get out of the fire, am I right?

The problem is that the more timid posters (and there are a lot of them on any forum) start dropping out and we lose their input completely. Many times the aggressive folks have little substance and the quiet ones are the real thinkers - esp in engineering.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »

Facebook is not unmoderated, and the people or person(s) who set up the group page can delete posts...

Fwiw.

_-_-bear

PS. Imo it's not that different than what we do here, except that everything goes away faster and less exposition on a topic is possible (limit on the number of chars you can post...)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »

I'd like to thank all the facebook users that have come in and supported the Amateur radio AM mode community page with a "like".  

The idea came about after my place of employment sent me to a "social networking for business" class.  It seems facebook is being used by millions now and it is a great tool for business, hobbies and organizations.  The class talked about tying into other websites and services, so why not use facebook to do that for our great A.M. community.  After realizing how many ham radio people have become part of my social network it seems like a no brainer to have a page about AM operations for those that might wanna know more.  It's certainly a place where the average user can see related media very easily since it's built into the environment.  Some users have already started posting station photos and small video clips of AM in action.  My hope is to funnel those with new interest in AM over to this forum and to the other A.M. sites out there.  It's really a great *networking* tool.

The facebook page is moderated.  Posts can be deleted by the admins.  It's not so much about discussion forums however, because we have that here.  It's more a place where people can post media, events and links and other stuff to showcase what we do as AM operators. 

John

AMI#1684
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »

Thanks for getting the word out and spreading the net (no pun intended) wider. Great idea!
W1UJR
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

Great idea!
Just "liked"!
KE6DF

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:28 AM »

I think an AM facebook page is a good idea. Anyone who doesn't like the idea can ignore it.

Facebook takes a while for some of us to "get".

I created my face book page a couple years ago.

Within about 10 minutes I had a post by the computer engineer son of one of my college friends saying "aren't you too old to be using facebook".

I'm 61, and now, a couple years later, I'm finding more and more of our friends of similar ages on facebook also.

So it takes a while for us "old" guys to find uses for something that was started by college age kids for other college age kids.

BTW, most businesses have facebook presences now days.

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »

The last AM facebook page went away due to lack of interest... I assume...
Had "liked" it...  but now it's no longer there..

Who knows....

Been said before.... if you don't like facebook... don't use it...

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:32 PM »

Well it's not something setup to just "go away".  It's simply a place to archive and showcase.  Sure, at first people will add more stuff to it, as in station photos and videos.  It's also the job of the admin of the page to keep things going and add more content.  I'll try to do that but of course it all depends on the fans themselves adding stuff and supporting the page.  We have 41 fans already and a few have already started utilizing the possibilities.  For instance, Bruce, W1UJR has posted and linked to his iPod streams and quicktime videos.  I have enjoyed that and I'm certain others have and will.  I've linked some of the classic AM videos out there on youtube.  It's nice to have a place with them all linked where one can sit and watch through quite a few of them.

Those who care to use it will likely enjoy it very much.

AMI#1684
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:33 AM »

I think maintaining a AM presence on FACEBOOK is okay but as far as I am concerned AMFONE is only place on the Web I will visit for information and an exchange of ideas due to serious time constraints.  It's kinda like "one-stop" shopping.

Thanks Steve, Todd, Johnny et al for "carrying on the Grand Tradition!"

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W1UJR
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »

I think I still have that website backed up onto a safe and secure floppy disc...re, hard drive.

Ah, the 1990s, the cutting edge of internet ugly!
Lots of colors, shapes, fonts, and odd animated images!

I kept the "AM Glossary" but out of a sense of politeness moved it to a "hidden" spot on
the W1UJR page....http://www.w1ujr.net/glossary.htm
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »

Darnit Brian!  I kept trying to click on the posts in the pic.  Cool

AMI#1684
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015