The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:15:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting 2 meter FM rig  (Read 14545 times)
WQ9E

« on: January 16, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »

With apologies to the "Church Lady" from SNL, could it be SATAN???

When I was a brand new young novice back in 1975 the oldest member of our local radio club had a couple of interesting rigs that were permanently burned into my memory; a Signal One CX-7A and a Brimstone 144.  The owner was Tom Braidwood W5BW who was very elderly by the time I knew him and he was full of interesting stories and had been a shipboard radio op including a stint on FDR's presidential yacht during WWII.  Tom traded his Signal One in on a much more reliable Yaesu FT-101B but he kept the Brimstone 2 meter rig.  A couple of years ago I picked up a CX-7A and recently I acquired a Brimstone 144.

The Brimstone 144 was one of the earliest synthesized rigs and appears to be well constructed.  This one had a flaky 5 volt regulator (apparently problematic even back then according to the service manual) but after replacement it works fine.  I need to find some matching front panel screws and then little Satan will be ready for action again.  It will make a fine companion for my Trio QR-666 general coverage receiver.

Does anyone know the back story on this rig?  Having a rig named Brimstone produced by Satan Electronics (complete with a pitch fork logo) with a synthesizer code named Warlock indicates the founder either had an odd sense of humor or some serious issues.

* brim1.JPG (240.41 KB, 1200x849 - viewed 1988 times.)

* B2.JPG (407.95 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 1421 times.)

* b3.JPG (339.33 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 1322 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Fred k2dx

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »

I saw one years ago but don't remember much about it - other than the owner had problems with it. I had a Clegg FM-27b at the time, also an early synthesized rig. What a POS that was! It would key up several repeaters at the same time the transmitted spurs were so bad (no PL back then)! Alignment/diddling would never get it clean. Using it today would be a worse disaster. I don't know if the Brimstone was cleaner or not but keep that in mind...

* fm27b.jpg (35.76 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1217 times.)
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »

Has that look like it was a kit or something. (crooked meter, off the shelf switch and knobs, etc.) I find it interesting that even for just an FM 2m rig, it used a mother/daughter socketed circuit board design.

The designer of that rig definitely listened to too much Ozzy.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »

Rodger I think it's great you want to spend time getting that old devil of a radio back up and running.
"runs like Hell," I guess you can honestly say.

Anyone remember the GLB synthesizer? The output frequencies for receive and transmit were tailored for whether it as a GE ProgLine or Motorola Motrac you had on the bench.

Among "HAM" transceivers, the earliest synthesized box I remember was the KDK FM 144. A 10 watt radio, it was like $400 or something crazy, and if I remember right, the value dropped through the floor when the FCC granted a new repeater sub-band in the 145.49 and downward area of the band.

By then, other synthesized rigs like the Clegg FM-28 had come out. It was made by Uniden and re-branded. I bought one in 1976 or 77 for the exorbitant price of $329 using summer-job money. I got a good ten years out of it and passed it along to HUZ who got another few years out of it before the T/R diodes gave out.

Cool stuff.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

I had a GLB synthesizer on a Wabco ex-railroad radio that I converted to 2 meters.   That thing was interesting, it ran off 64VDC or 12 neg or pos ground.  Pair of 6883s in the final.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »

Fred,
I will take a look at the output on my spectrum analyzer later.  I have heard about the horrors of trying to keep the Clegg 27B "crystalplex" system adjusted to minimize spurs.

Jared,
It was definitely not sold as a kit  but I am sure Satan was a small company.  The misaligned meter is probably due to it being around 35 years old.  I didn't notice that earlier but will correct the alignment next time I have the cover off.  The construction quality actually looks very good and is far better than the older Regency and other similar vintage stuff.  Hopefully I will be able to find more about the history of this odd product.  The included service manual is well written.

Paul,
I remember seeing the GLB synthesized rig.  My first synthesized 2 meter rig was the much later Icom IC-25H which I still have in a box somewhere.  Another oddball is a KLM Multi-2700 that followed me home from a hamfest several years ago.  It is an interesting all mode box with a VFO and switch selected synthesizer along with a built in 10 meter receive converter for the early OSCAR birds.  The synthesizer drifted horribly when I got it but a few replacement components and it settled down nicely.  Another interesting and nice looking setup from that time period is the Icom IC-21A with matching DV-21 digital VFO.  Repairing a DV-21 several years ago was my first in-depth experience with major PLL/VCO repair.  A week after I finished I finally acquired a schematic for it-that would have been really handy earlier!

Rodger WQ9E
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »

From discussions a couple years ago on other boards, I recall that Satan Electronics was located in Salina, Kansas, North of Wichita.   I can't even imagine that name flying today.  heh.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »

I still have a GLB Synthisizer!! Also have all of the BS needed to make it work, the manual, and a dual front end Motrac with the extended range transmitter that was fitted to use with the GLB. Got the whole kit and kaboodle as a package from WB3ARZ many years back. I never bothered to hook it all up and try it out, just had too many other projects in the fire at the time. It is still all around here somewhere.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »

Yo'

Perfect timeing OM,

http://www.arrl.org/news/aim-high-in-the-arrl-january-vhf-sweepstakes

IMD means nothing up there, Well to be honest, we try. but not too hard.

SSB ? Yeah, Put it up on 2m where there is room for it!

/Dan  EN91
K3ZS

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »

I still have a GLB Synthesizer connected to a Genave GTX-200.   When I first used it, I still had some transmit crystals installed.   It would transmit on whatever the synthesizer was set on, in addition to all the transmit crystal frequencies.   I used to drive all the repeater empire builders nuts until I removed the crystals.   I still have some old 2M FM rigs gathering dust.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »

I remember the GLB synthesizers, they were popular around the Rochester VHF crowd since we were just down the road from Buffalo. In fact, I remember that the VHF group had a group project of a GLB clone which I did join and build. I mated it up to a radio I built out of modules from an IEC Electronics HT and ran it mobile for a year. I think I still have the thing in the basement on a shelf someplace. Eventually got an S5 thumbwheel synthesized HT with 5 watts and moved on to that.

I also recall the KDK radios. I think KDK made aviation radios and tried to leverage their expertise in the VHF spectrum into the ham market.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015