The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:36:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do in Boston?  (Read 10537 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »

Orono Bill?

Don't miss Gary WZ1M right there, also W1UJR and NE1S.
It would Nancy's and I pleasure to buy dinner, a lobster dinner if you wish.
Just stop by the "Prettiest Village In Maine".

Thank you very much, Bruce. We'll see next year, God willing.
W1UJR
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »

Look forward to it Bill!
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 07:37:41 AM »

I have heard that the drivers in Boston are absolute maniacs, more agressive than in most other big cities. Is that urban legend or true?

New York City cab drivers would be considered tame as compared to drivers in Boston. But, after a short period of driving in Boston, you will become one of them, or you'll just park the car and take the "T" everywhere you can. I always found it fun to drive in Boston. Lots of interesting traffic rules, strange roads and signs, and mind-boggling traffic lights. If you try to use a GPS in the Boston area, most likely you will get lost. Even flying into Boston, can be a fun experience.

Went to Quincy area last August to visit a vendor for work.  Was driving a tad slow for the locals as I was unfamiliar to the area.  Was promptly showed the middle finger and honked at a few times.   Grin  Defintely concur with Pete's assesment above.  Driving in Boston can be a "interesting".  There is always the T.  Years ago some friends and I took the T all over the city and did a brewpub crawl.  Twas a treat. 
 Tongue
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »

I stayed in the Brookline area overnight a month ago.  I was at the Coolidge Corner area which is Beacon St. and Harvard St.  There are a lot of ethnic restaurants in that area, take your pick.  The area is crawling with co-eds too.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W4EWH

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

I will be in and around Boston (Brookline) starting Wednesday the 4th.  Are there any radio/electronics stores in the area worth going to?

Would like to know of any museums with early american theme, apart from the
ones on the tourist routes.

Ed, there are three things you must know about Boston before you arrive:

• Route 128 is not always the same as Interstate 95
  • The best view of the city is not from the top of the Hancock tower or the Prudential tower. It's at the Customhouse.
  • The girls you see walking on Harrison Ave after dark are not girls!

I hope this helps. If you have time, take the commuter rail to Sharon and I'll treat you to dinner.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »

Go to a Sox game and wear a Yankees hat.

Grin Grin Grin      Yankee fans are people too.... Cry

Better for bait. Grin  Go to the new House Of Blues on Lansdown St next to Fenway Park and watch great bands and get loaded.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »

Go to a Sox game and wear a Yankees hat.

Grin Grin Grin      Yankee fans are people too.... Cry

Since when? Roll Eyes
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »

Agree, Old Ironsides is a must visit and also see if any tall masted training ships are in port. A walk thru the Harvard facility is always interesting, from historic and eye candy reasons plus all the weirdos.

Boston is easy driving, I was trained by my uncle, a NYC cabbie. I commuted to downtown for almost 3 years and lived to tell it. Boston is just bad for a short time of the day and for a pretty short distance. Outside of commuting hours I can be downtown in 35-40 minutes from NH. In the greater NYC area its like gridlock a full day in all directions for 30-50 miles Grin Roll Eyes

ESS is a strange place and you never know whats going to be there. Thats where I picked up that new 3CW20000A7 for $90. Complete with socket, filament blower and ductwork and filament transformer all mounted on a sub assembly. The tube still had its foam shipping collar. I showed pix on here when I got it. They have a huge variety of wire and cable (Peter will deal on a reel size load as in for radials), shrink tubing, AC plugs (120 and 240V), Variacs, some interesting test equipment (thats where my TEK curve tracer came from). I wander in about weekly as Im usually heading to Manchester for something. Sometimes I just exchange insults with Peter. Wink

Carl

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015