The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 11:59:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making enemies with FedEx  (Read 5304 times)
N8UH
Contributing

« on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »

I was startled today with a frantic ringing of the doorbell. A moment later, I heard a huge THUD followed by more ringing. I opened the door to be greeted by a huge crate and a smaller box. The sweating, panting FedEx guy didn't look particularly happy... Ah well, that's what they get paid for...

About 600 screws later, a 9000# beast emerged (ok, perhaps a bit of an exaggeration). It's the plate transformer I'm going to use for my 813 rig build. I think it might be big enough. Grin

The other box contained a 16Hy 300ma choke that cost all of $0.88. Not too shabby!

This stuff is really heavy. Add almost throwing your back out to list of dangers of working with HV stuff!

* bigbox.jpg (88.92 KB, 405x720 - viewed 377 times.)

* BigIron.jpg (65.25 KB, 405x720 - viewed 388 times.)

-Tim
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 05:50:41 AM »

WHEW
I thought we would see pics of demolished equipment. The crating for iron is very important!
I sent a Titan and its PS through a packer/shipper. I asked the seller if he wanted me to remove the transformer.............he said no...........The amplifier deck made it ok, even though the box was soaked..........no sure what happened there. But the transformer b roke loose from the mounts and bent the case. I think he charged FEDEX $200 for repairs. He is a body repairman and was able to re-bend the ps case to like-new and even had it painted. Looked brand new. He proudly took a pic of the amp making 2500 watts outpoot.
Your seller did a good job

Fred 

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »

...even though the box was soaked..........no sure what happened there.

What did it smell like ?
Be specific.

We found a "new" Heathkit Apache at Deerfield one year, with opened parts bags and odd liquid stains on the outer box.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »

I quit FedEx forever when I had a hell of a time getting delivery on my 75A3.  No time for the details but they have seemingly begun to insist that you be there to sign for a box if it's value is declared over some small amount.  It makes taking delivery a major hassle if you are normally gone in the day at a job somewhere.  I shipped a box to Derb and put in writing on the shipping form that I did not want to require the addressee to be there to take delivery and they went ahead and did the signature requirement thing anyway without even telling me.  I'm done with them.  UPS and USPS only now.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »

Hi Rob,

I DO think that FedEx does lsee trashing of packages.  BUT do agree the signature required policy sucks !

One day,  waited for FedEx to deliver.   Heard nothing ... NO dorbell.  Went out to get the mail and there was an FX sticker on the door ..."no one home".

So waited the ENTIRE next day ... did not even take a shower for fear of missing them.  They did re-deliver at 7:05 PM that day.   So guess that is their way of trying to deliver to a working person ... WHINE ! ...   It IS kinna inconvenient.  FX will not even accept a note on the door (with a signature) saying that it is OK to leave the package.

UPS cares so little about the packages they handle,  that they seem  willing to leave ANYTHING,  ANYWHERE without a sig.  OH,  more WHINEs.

72  Good Weekend        Vic
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »

Vic,  I had some of those same experiences.   I got the attempt deliv sticker on a Thursday.  Okay fine, I call them up and eventually speak with someone who said they'd deliver again Sat. afternoon, between 2 and 6.  okay fine.   I go out at 12:30 and on door find another sticker.  What?  I was at home!  I call and find out A.  they only tap lightly so as to not wake anyone up.  B.  No more deliveries that day.  C.  whoever promised a time window was lying they do not commit to a time frame.  I had to take a day off and wait around with the front door open to be sure to catch the guy.  If it had been a $20,000 diamond encrusted wrist watch or a rare coin or stamp collection I would have been okay with all the security, but this blanket policy is ridiculous.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »

I detest FedWrex for the same reasons PLUS they have destroyed more incoming packages than UPS and USPS combined. I tell customers to NOT ship FedWrex but they do what they damn please then get pissed when their claim is denied.

Carl

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »

I heard that Federal Express and United Parcel Service were going to merge. They would hence forth be known as "FedUp!"  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:48:56 AM »

Almost without fail if I am waiting for something (FedEx or UPS) and I really want and it was not delivered for some BS reason as above I just find out which station it returned to and go there and pick it up when the truck gets back.  Then, after I have the item I call the main number to complain if someone left a tried to deliver sticker and I was home.

David, K3TUE
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 04:23:52 AM »

WHEW
I thought we would see pics of demolished equipment. The crating for iron is very important!
I sent a Titan and its PS through a packer/shipper. I asked the seller if he wanted me to remove the transformer.............he said no...........The amplifier deck made it ok, even though the box was soaked..........no sure what happened there. But the transformer b roke loose from the mounts and bent the case. I think he charged FEDEX $200 for repairs. He is a body repairman and was able to re-bend the ps case to like-new and even had it painted. Looked brand new. He proudly took a pic of the amp making 2500 watts outpoot.
Your seller did a good job

Fred 

Yup, the seller did a good job of crating this beast. 3/4" plywood, 2X4s... There was just no way this monster could have been damaged short of being dropped from a C-140. I guess it helped that the seller was also an experienced AM'er Wink

I'm with the others on here though. I despise both United Package Smashers and Federal  EXploders. I am absolutely convinced that they hide in the bushes and wait until I leave for work to try and deliver a package, just so they can leave the note. I have also noticed here that they will leave a package at your door (in Las Vegas, where theft is rampant) without getting a delivery confirmation.

Just great I tell ya! Roll Eyes

-Tim
w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »

Did anyone know that Greyhound ships freight?

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Anyone have experience with them.  They do NOT deliver.  You have to go to the nearest depot and pick it up.  That might be a plus considering the knuckle draggers who deliver at the other shipping outfits.  There is a 100 lb limit so heavier units that can be -- need to be broken up and shipped separately

Al
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 01:32:49 PM »

Ive had a few wooden console radios come that way without damage. The problem is usually finding a terminal at the sellers end....they dont like driving far.

Carl
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »

Almost without fail if I am waiting for something (FedEx or UPS) and I really want and it was not delivered for some BS reason as above I just find out which station it returned to and go there and pick it up when the truck gets back.  Then, after I have the item I call the main number to complain if someone left a tried to deliver sticker and I was home.

That only works if you are able to get to the facility during the weird hours they are open.  The one here lets you come and pickup only from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. weekday mornings.  

Al, I have never used Greyhound but I have heard good things about them.  I wonder what the container size limits are with them.   The big prob. with UPS and FedEx is they don't take anything longer than 8 feet.  So if you want something that's 10 feet long like a collapsed push up mast or some aluminum tubing you are s.o.l.

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »

My GF (at the time) had bid and one a small antique desk from eBay last year and the shipper used Greyhound.  It was well packed and arrived at our local terminal without incident.  Seems to be a pretty decent way to go.  I'd consider using them if the weight can be kept below 100 lbs.  I don't think there's conveyor belts that drop the items... if it has to transfer buses along the way I imagine it's all hand carted.

AMI#1684
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015