The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:01:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do in Boston?  (Read 10576 times)
Ed WA4NJY

« on: July 29, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »

I will be in and around Boston (Brookline) starting Wednesday the 4th.  Are there any radio/electronics stores in the area worth going to?

Would like to know of any museums with early american theme, apart from the
ones on the tourist routes.

Any input or info would be appreciated.

thanks,  Ed WA4NJY
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »

Not sure if there's anything radio-related around Boston/Brookline Ed, but up the road a half hour or so in Salem NH is the HRO outlet. Once upon a time they had a sometimes-interesting used gear area but the last few times I was there they had nothing but their new stuff. Just north of Salem in Manchester is a good electronics surplus place called EEG. Mainly newer test gear and parts, though they had a big box of tubes back in the 90s.

Check Google for museums. A stroll through Boston proper is almost like a trip to a museum with the old buildings and historic places like the Old North Church, Faneuil Hall, etc. The Union Oyster House is worth a visit, you might even get to sit in the booth JFK used upstairs. It's the oldest restaurant in continuous operation in the U.S.

Now, if you're looking for some good Irish pubs, I can point you to a few....  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »

Go to a Sox game and wear a Yankees hat.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »

Grin Grin Grin      Yankee fans are people too.... Cry

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »

<snip>

Just north of Salem in Manchester is a good electronics surplus place called EEG. <snip>
Now, if you're looking for some good Irish pubs, I can point you to a few....  Grin

That's be ESS, Electronic Surplus Services

http://esssurplus.com/

Peter who runs the store is a piece of work  Grin It's sort of second stop after Near-Fester

No tubes any more but good collection of ss stuff along with the junque
W1JS

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »

A few suggestions:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/

http://www.mfa.org/

http://www.mos.org/

http://www.icaboston.org/

http://www.neaq.org/index.php

All reachable by walking or "Charlie's" MTA.

Have fun.

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »

Don't say that to a Sox fan!

Grin Grin Grin      Yankee fans are people too.... Cry
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »

<snip>
 Just north of Salem in Manchester is a good electronics surplus place called EEG. <snip>

That's be ESS, Electronic Surplus Services

http://esssurplus.com/

Ah, good catch Al. Brainfart on my part, looks like some neurons from the days of EGE down that way got involved. EGE was a HRO/Rivendell type retailer down there back in the early-mid 80s.

Last time I was at ESS they were in one of the big mill buildings along the river. I seem to recall a section of roof caved in and caused a mess, but they made it through.

There was also another guy down near HRO, straight at the intersection instead of turning left. The place always looked like a hurricane had just passed through but he had a lot of stuff. Also one in Hudson, much smaller. I remember having to walk past office workers at their desks to get to the surplus room.

Wonder where they all went to?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »

I liked

http://web.mit.edu/museum/

Used to be a rather nice computer history museum there but it pulled up stakes and moved west.  ( http://www.computerhistory.org/ )

The Science & Tech museum seemed like a kid.s place.  At least it was overrun by youngsters last time I was there.

Eat sea food.  If tired, take a tour.  I did that last year even though I've been to Boston more times than I can count.  I enjoyed the tour nonetheless.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:59:44 PM »

Go hang out at Cheers on Beacon Street. Mention you are a Yankee fan.  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 06:25:39 PM »

Have some Cream Pie,  kick a Boston Bull dog on a sidewalk... *shrug*  Wink

(just kidding, but not about the pie).

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

Avast ... It'd be down to the docks with you Matey an let us know what be tied up down thar...

An yaas could be taken some pictures we hear about what's moored an up into the halyards with
ya an see some real rigging on that camera of yours.

We be Obliged in yer Debt Sir.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »

1.) pay a lot of money for everything.

2.) go in a diner and notice how small the breakfasts are.
2a.) get dirty looks because you had to order two to make one decent breakfast.

3.) get honked at in traffic by fast talking yankees.

4.) see if you can find some Boston Baked Beans

5.) attend a random wedding and see if there is anything unusual about it.

6.) find out how much air conditioning they don't use up there.

I can say all of these things because I am from there. And I have been back, once. Both times I left as soon as I could.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »

I just got back from two weeks in the Beverly area, just north of Boston. Lots of good eating up there. The roads are something else. I spent 6 weeks once in Catania Sicily, and the drivers, and roads are very similar to the Boston area. I think both areas laid out the roads for Roman Chariots.

Bring a GPS, and be prepared for it to be wrong at least 30% of the time. Without it you'll be wrong a lot more. I really like highway 128 entrance and exit ramps where you must go from 70-5, or 5-70 in about 30 feet at most. To make it even more fun, those 30' are often part of a dead mans curve. Also there are portions of highway 1 (or is it 1A?) where the turnarounds occur about once every 30 miles. if you miss one, better fill up the gas tank. Going to be a while!

Boston drivers have absolutely no patients for someone who is undecided, or driving a little slow.  Cheesy

Edit: I did enjoy the Red Sox series with the Texas Rangers. Now if only the Rangers could defeat the Yankees..

Jim
WD5JKO
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »

go down to Rhode Island to the Steam & Wireless museum. I lived near there for almost eight years and I regret that I didn't go there. Cry Cry Cry

http://www.newsm.org/

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ed WA4NJY

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the great information and the entertaining banter.  The main reason for going is my wife and I are going to take care of two grandsons.  Our daughter-in-law gets to take a well deserved 8 day trip to Italy to see parents.

Our son works at Harvard Medical.  We get to kick around there also.

Thanks again, Ed
W1QWT

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 08:10:52 AM »

I second the recommendation of the Union Oyster House. I eat there often and it is good, also it is located in the Faneuil Hall area which is loaded with early American architecture and historic places. It is also near the North End (Italian neighborhood) where there are many Italian restaurants that are excellent. Paul Revere's house is in the North End.
I am biased since I was sworn into the Navy onboard the USS Constitution but a visit to this ship, which is the oldest commissioned ship in the Navy, is worth the effort. It is at the old Charlestown Navy Yard just across the bridge from the North End. Everything is so close, even the State House on Beacon hill is close.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »

The USS Constitution is a must see (and the price is right). My kids love the place. The USS CASSIN YOUNG is on the other side of the pier. You can peek into her radio room for a quick BA fix. Drop by Mike's Pastries on Hanover St for a world class canolli. Have fun!

I think therefore AM
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »

You-Do-It Electronics in Needham. Good store.
40 Franklin St. Needham, MA 02494
http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/directions.html

All kinds of general electronics.   
http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/index.html

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »

I have heard that the drivers in Boston are absolute maniacs, more agressive than in most other big cities. Is that urban legend or true?
K3ZS

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »

Lunch at Legal's Seafood
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »

I have heard that the drivers in Boston are absolute maniacs, more agressive than in most other big cities. Is that urban legend or true?

New York City cab drivers would be considered tame as compared to drivers in Boston. But, after a short period of driving in Boston, you will become one of them, or you'll just park the car and take the "T" everywhere you can. I always found it fun to drive in Boston. Lots of interesting traffic rules, strange roads and signs, and mind-boggling traffic lights. If you try to use a GPS in the Boston area, most likely you will get lost. Even flying into Boston, can be a fun experience.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »

No worse than some other big US cities and mild compared to big cities overseas.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »

Tnx, Steve.

One of these days the XYL and I are going to visit her sister and husband in Orono, ME. They suggested that we fly to Boston, rent a car and cruise through New England on the way up there. They've been here several times, but it's a 4-day minimum drive for them. They shortcut across Canada. I've never been much east of the Ohio River, so it would be quite the experience. That would require a full two weeks off the job for me, and I would enjoy an eyeball with the Tron once I get there.

They really have lobsters walking around the kitchen floor? I've got T-Bones wandering around in the pasture. LOL
W1UJR
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »

Orono Bill?

Don't miss Gary WZ1M right there, also W1UJR and NE1S.
It would Nancy's and I pleasure to buy dinner, a lobster dinner if you wish.
Just stop by the "Prettiest Village In Maine".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015