The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:49:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F connectors for transmitting  (Read 8361 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »

I've started using 75 ohm coax and nice, compression F connectors on my receive antennas.  What a pleasure it is to put one of those on with the correct tool instead of soldering on a PL-259.   They are waterproof and cheap.  DX Engineering actually recommends this now for receive antennas so I don't feel like a hammy hambone when I do it.

But can you transmit using them?  I assume not but why not?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »

The only thing I'd worry about is the spacing for voltage insulation. If you are real picky, the tought of a 75 Ohm connector might bother you but at HF it is likely not an issue. I'd bet it would do 100W levels without trouble.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »

My Heathkit HW-101 and HW-16 both had RCA connectors for an antenna jack. Needless to say, I changed them to SO-239's.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »

100 watts max is the most I'd ever try.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »

I will admit to running 100 watts through about 200 feet of RG-6, with F connectors on both ends, to a 10 meter vertical antenna mounted up in a tree. I used "F" to "PL-259" adapters at both ends. It worked fine for years on 10 meter FM and never gave me a bit of trouble. In fact, the same length of RG-6, which is out in the woods and buried under about 6 inches of soil, is currently used to feed one of my receive loops. As others have indicated, I don't think I would trust a setup like that at anything higher than 100 watts, and on AM, I might de-rate things a bit more.

I have to agree about the simplicity of installing F connectors. They crank on easily, and crimp perfectly every time. On top of that, RG-6 is very cheap and very low loss at HF-VHF. I use that stuff for all my receive-only HF antennas and scanner antennas.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:17 AM »

if you want decent 75 ohm coax you can get heliax with that impedance and 75 ohm andrew N connectors.  MaxGain sells N to F adapters (someone does, I think it is MaxGain but don't hold me to that).  I hate to be the one to say it but if DX Engineering sells something, that's more likely to make it hammy hambone  Cheesy  These are the guys who sell little radial kits,  a bunch of wires cut to some length with lugs crimped on them so Hammy doesn't have to do any lug crimping himself.  They go with the radial plate.  Full disclosure:  I have and use one of those radial plates so I am something of a self-identified hammy hambone myself  Huh

But anyway, if you are worried about power and AM duty, 75 ohm heliax and the Andrew 75 ohm N connectors will handle it.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »

I have seen the better connctors the cable and Sat people use and they are much better for waterproofing. They have a little more meat to them. Spacing might still be a problem for higher power.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »

I have seen the better connctors the cable and Sat people use and they are much better for waterproofing. They have a little more meat to them. Spacing might still be a problem for higher power.

Fred

Some of the ones the Sat guys use actually have gel inside them as well to seal against water.  Looks like petroleum jelly.

F connectors CAN get somewhat pricey, if you get the GOOD ones.

I do NOT think they are constant impedance, though... Like the PL259, they ain't 75 ohms......  It seems I read that somewhere years ago, talking about using them in stations.

--Shane
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:43:07 AM »

I just found a site by VK1OD about using RG-6/U for transmitting.  He doesn't recommend F connectors but he does make a case for using RG-6/U for transmitting.

I noticed this sentence:

The breakdown voltage of RG−6/U is typically around 2.7kV, which would be reached at a power level of nearly 50kW in a matched 75Ω system.

Heck I don't run that even on my good days.

http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/RG6/index.htm
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:39:01 PM »

R,

" Full disclosure:  I have and use one of those radial plates so I am something of a self-identified hammy hambone myself  Huh "

The first step to recovery is to admit that one has a problem. We are here to help.

klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »

pl259 isn't 50 ohms
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:53 PM »

pl259 isn't 50 ohms

Roger, Roger 4-10 good buddy.
PL259 not 50 ohms
Type-N is

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:28:06 PM »

pl259 isn't 50 ohms

Neither is my antenna  Huh  Huh  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »

pl259 isn't 50 ohms

I agree.  It's not 75, either.

My point was, the F connector, LIKE THE RCA and PL connector are not 'constant impedance' devices.

After breakfast, and rereading it, I can see how it was taken to mean unlike the PL.

--Shane
w1vtp

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »

I have been using a technique for decades that W6SAI recommended.  Works perfectly and I have cables that are still in good condition after 20+ years.  It involves a BIG iron, a tubing cutter and DON'T use foam RG-8 style cable.  Those interested, I'd be happy to share the info.

That aside, I ran across what I think is an excellent web page on connectorizing cables with PL-259s.

http://www.bcdxc.org/pl259_crimp_on_connectors.htm

I'm going to look into this method mostly because it offers some sort of wx proofing.  I do NOT  recommending using F connectors - but that's just my $0.02 worth. 

I like doing my own BNC (non-crimp) connectors for RF power applications under 100 watts, "N" connectors for UHF applications (again, non-crimp).  Once learned, connectorizing with BNC and N connectors is not difficult.  I still have BNC cables that I made 30+ years ago.  It's worth the effort to learn how to put these connectors on correctly.  I have accidentally removed equipment still connected with my BNC cables and caught the equipment with the sheer strength of the cable to connector connection from hitting the floor.

Al
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »

Ive run 1200W CW/SSB on 80/75 thru RG-6 using F to UHF adaptors at both ends for about 15 years with no problems. This is a sloper off the 100' tower and is used as an angle filler for the high inverted V when chasing DX. Ive run up to around 150W carrier on AM to it also.

Carl
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »

Ive run 1200W CW/SSB on 80/75 thru RG-6 using F to UHF adaptors at both ends for about 15 years with no problems. This is a sloper off the 100' tower and is used as an angle filler for the high inverted V when chasing DX. Ive run up to around 150W carrier on AM to it also.

Carl

People would be amazed at what a connector will take.

I've shoved 10 grand through a BNC at 10 meters before...  Same thing as an N connector...  But it sure doesn't LOOK like it would take that!

--Shane
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »

The original OP was aware of impedance, but was concerned for the skimpy design and running legal limit through it.
I was surprised that Carl pushed 1500 watts through one. Musta been a flat line.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »

Just 1200W Fred Grin

VSWR got up to 2.5:1 at 3900. It is actually parallel elements cut for the CW and SSB DX segments where the VSWR was quite low. With such a low RF voltage and low duty cycle modes it survives well.  I wouldnt want to try the 250TH's on 3885 Cool

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015