The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 03:33:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miracle Antenna. What is it?  (Read 16972 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 12:41:39 AM »

Dunno about all that Clark.

I have a 10 meter antenna on top of my tower.  It's an elevated vertical.  The tower itself is also fed from the base via a remote tuner to tune all bands.

It's interesting in that the antenna on the TOP of the tower is also DC grounded.  Someday I'd like to model it, but I have no idea how....  Not THAT into NEC.

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 01:09:25 AM »

We are going way off topic.  Shane, Post in my vertical antenna thread... I will answer there.

C
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »

On that truck is the AS-3684/VRC (I found the files), similar to the '1729? The matcher in there is a mystery, I do not dare disassemble the 3684. There are different size threads on the bottom sections, and the top sections are also slightly different lengths. So one is forced to put the correct bottom section on the base, but could accidentally put the wrong top section on.

Here is the SWR curve, perhaps it will be useful.

Also the curve if the AT-677/VRC which is for high band VHF and looks electrically like the same dipole design.

Some decades ago I bought a cracked  base /tuning unit that looked like that.  It had been full of water due to the crack. The threads on top of the spring are a coaxial connector to the antenna whip. Below the spring in the plastic cylinder above the mounting flange was a ferrite rod with a number of turns of coax around it to form the decoupling choke.  It was mounted in foam.
In the bottom part of the unit was a solinoid operated rotary switch to select the frequency range.  I assume it selected different matching networks, I cant remember what the matching networks consisted of.

Most of the unit is long gone, but the spring lives on in the base of my mobile whip!
                                                                                           Ian VK3KRI
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 08:10:23 PM »

Those inductors in the base are carefully tuned. Trust me I've done a few.
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »

I made up a 10 meter vertical version of this with a decoupler consisting of a few turns of the coax wrapped in a loop through a ferrite split doughnut. Works very well, easy to build and hang from a tree. Tuned it by adjusting the vertical element length and stretching or compressing the braid. The braid was not from the coax, just braid that you can buy by the roll. Easier than messing around with braid from a piece of coax.

Larry
ka3zlr
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

I have a Double Bazooka Vertical for 10 works great cancels alot of noise  Smiley

Jack.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015