The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:39:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a 75A4  (Read 12470 times)
K4ELO
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »

Wow, reading all this price stuff makes me think I got a pretty reasonable deal on eBay when I bought the Drake R4B, T4XB/supply, MS4 speaker and a D-104 with all the cables for $500.  All they needed was a little tune up.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »

Todd, the reason why I asked about the glow in the dark Super Pro was that if one of the Manhattan Project engineers owned it, maybe it was supercharged with a little enriched uranium. That is an intersting background on that rx though. I have several Hammarlunds and have had quite a many others, but never had the pleasure to own a SP. Hopefully, maybe someday!
Figured it was related to that, Phil.  Grin Doc's A-4 has a few tubes switched with hotter versions, no major mods but it sure works well. He was a pretty interesting guy who took safaris to Africa with his chef and gun bearer, lived in a Frank Lloyd Wright house, and was a big contester. His A-4 and a nice HQ-150 I recently sold came out of those stations. Neither of them glowed, though. Fortunately for me!

You will LOVE the old Super Pro once you get one and have it dialed in. They're kinda hard to find today in nice shape since so many were war-weary to start with and then got hacked up with miniature tubes substituted in the front end. Te pre-war models are the best looking, with their black wrinkle, engraved panels. They painted the panels first, then engraved them so the lettering is bare aluminum. Cleaned up, they really look nice. And the push-pull audio is great to listen to.

BTW, I picked up (what I think) is a pretty interesting rx the other day at Spartanburg. While I was there, I met Chuck Teeters, W4MEW, and got a Wilcox F-3 from him. He wrote an article on it for ER, number 218, July 2007. I Plan to refinish it the best I can and have been juggling around a few ideas for mods; non-destructive of course. Really cool background info on that one.

You got to meet one of the true masters, Phil. Chuck is a wealth of knowledge from his many decades of radio work, a true radioman. I hope he attends Shelby this year. Do you make that one?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KC4VWU

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »

You didn't get hurt there, Wayne. Did you get any extra xtals with the rx? I just recently (within the last 6 months) acquired two R4B's; one in pretty nice shape, one slightly modded and needs a little help. I may keep an eye out for a tx. I've had a couple TR3's and TR4's over the years, but never a set of "twins". Good catch! Light 'em up and let's QSO! I should (hope to) have something running by this weekend that will put out a decent sig.

Todd, I'll definately be at Shelby unless some unforseen problem may arise. I haven't missed but 2 in the last 20 years. Hopefully, I'm going to get another 10x10 easy up and some extra chairs so everyone who needs a break from all the fun can have a rest and QSO for a bit. I won't have a lot to sell, I just bring enough to justify having a space and raise enough cash to cover the expenses. Hopefully there will be a little extra to supply some 'dogs and cold drinks too.

Phil 
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »

I agree completely with Phil assessment, Wayne - you got a decent deal on that Drake station. From the first time I used Drake gear back in the 80s until now, I've been impressed, Without a doubt, it is still one of the most under-priced values out there for the performance. In some ways, it exceeds the respected Collins S-Line in performance since it was developed later with newer tube technology. AM is a bit thin on it, but the S-Line doesn't even do AM. Many feel that the B is the best of the line, before they went to plastic gears and made other changes.

Phil, we'll have to catch up before Shelby to find out where you'll be set up. Several of us went down last year for the first time and had a blast, can't wait for the next one. It's a great event, plenty of good stuff and a lot of interesting people. The cotton gin was pretty cool, too! We'll be setting up in boatanchor row with Nick, JP, Wilson and the rest of the gang.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015