The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:55:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture of first Novice Station  (Read 18302 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: February 24, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »

It would be neat to see some of the AM'ers first Novice station. 

Here is my first novice station. For me it all started in 1966.  This picture was taken with my "Polaroid" camera in January of 1967. 

Notice the turntable  Wink along with an RK-810 Lafayette real to real tape recorder, Heathkit GR-64 and DX-60A.  I got a kick out of my flimsy desk top extension! 

Joe, W3GMS       

* scan0011.jpg (392.01 KB, 1700x2338 - viewed 696 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:48:47 AM »

I have a few of my old station, but I think they are now hanging in the Smithsonian!

I'll look around.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »

Gee My TX sat on top of my GR64. I should dig it out and scan it.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »

Not the first Novice station, but the first AM station...in 1960.  Was running Knight T-50 with screen modulator, JT-30 mike, and Heathkit AR-3 rcvr.  Note also the old Zenith rcvr that I used as a novice.  (the vise on the left is on the work bench next to the station)  Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT  (ex KN9UBF, K9UBF, N9GT)

* k9ubf1960.jpg (985.36 KB, 1292x899 - viewed 667 times.)

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »

Buddly JN station. The infamous Viking 1 before the 4CX250B convertion. S38C with homebrew Q multiplier. Checkout the 'ol Dumont Scope!

ps... I edited your pic a bit Joe!

* BuddlyJN.jpg (39.7 KB, 387x302 - viewed 600 times.)

* GMSnovice.jpg (128.95 KB, 815x675 - viewed 617 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »

Jack,

I like the vice next to the op position. Might as well be ready for repairs on the fly... Grin

The crew cut - interesting how it all came back again after swinging to long hair for a generation. What RX is that below the Q-multiplier?  Homebrew?

Buddly:  You look ready for serious CW action there - looking to do anything possible to add to that QSL collection on the wall.

Joe: The picture of a young WRL Leo I. Meyerson -  and the QSL cards on the wall are cool. That was a  very popular novice rig on the air in our day.   Heck, when I first got my Novice ticket in '64, I was so hard-up for QSLs I took some of the samples that Brownie sent me, put comments on them and pasted them up until real ones arrived!

Those days of rig dreaming and outrageous misconceptions were fun.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »

Hi Tom,

That receiver was a Heathkit AR-3.  It had the relative sensitivity of a cardboard box and it was even worse with the QF-1 attached. The crewcut was actually a flat-top...very popular at that time.  Also, the photo was taken by my Grandpa who made me put on my sportcoat for the picture.  I was Mr. Cool... Hi Hi FB OM.  All of 15 years old.
Also look at that ugly clock on top of the Zenith.  IIRC, I picked that up for $1 at the local used junk shop.  It was a WWII victory clock (at least that is what my Dad told me).  I built the table out of old scrap lumber that the neighbor gave me (he also gave me the Zenith) and my workbench was donated to me by a guy on my paper route.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »

I only wish I had photos of my original novice set-up from 1970. I only have a number of 35mm black & white prints from my General and up days.

I doubt if this photo counts, but this is the equipment I had when I was first licensed as WN2OGS (WN2 Oily, Greasy, and Slimey), less the RCA 77-D, the HM-11, and the AK-5. Sorry about the harsh lighting in this image.

But I still do have the same transmitter; the Apache in this image is the same one I purchased in January of 1970 in anticipation of getting my Novice-class license, which finally arrived two months later. I sold off the Mohawk and the SB-10 years ago, but bought the ones in the photo a few years back, as they provide the connection to my earliest days in amateur radio. The HM-11 VSWR Bridge and AK-5 Speaker were added later as well.

I obtained a Vibroplex Champion bug once my speed started coming up, but that was given away long ago to a fellow I used to work with. I subsequently replaced it with the Vibroplex Original, because I thought it looked so much cooler.

And no, I did not use the the VFO in the Apache as a Novice, although I admittedly was very tempted. I added the SB-10 whilst still a Novice, and purchased it when I passed my General in late May of 1970.

Bruce

* Vintage Heathkit Station of 8-8-09.jpg (323.2 KB, 1112x828 - viewed 521 times.)

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W1GFH
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »

* joeyshackrig1965.jpg (139.59 KB, 650x608 - viewed 544 times.)
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »

Here's a link to my first transmitter -- the Navy surplus TCS-12 with its "guaranteed RF burns" exposed output terminals right next to the output tank coupling control:

http://3950.net/2010/02/my-first-transmitter-the-tcs-12/

(Yes, I've been through hell recently and it's nice to be back and see that AM is alive and well!)

Kevin, WB4AIO

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »

Well, I never had a novice station, because I never had a novice ticket.  I started out as advanced, while I was in the USAF.  Here are a couple old pics taken in my third-floor barracks room at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ.  I was lucky to have a 30 foot tower on the roof, with CDR rotator and a 15M 3-EL Gotham beam, and inverted vees for 20 and 40/15.  Not enough room for 75 or 160.  The SB-200 was borrowed until I finshed building the dual 4-400 amp.  Later I had a model 15 teletype to get news and weather.

* WB2HKXstation1.jpg (134.44 KB, 1305x858 - viewed 540 times.)

* WB2HKXstation2.jpg (159.95 KB, 1305x858 - viewed 550 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »

Mine's been up for a while in my Gallery...

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=214

full description is there... how about that hair? Cheesy

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »

What great pictures you guys posted.  Hopefully we will see some more. 

Buddly, thanks for re-sizing my picture.  Mine always show up as tiny pictures!  Send me an email sometime if you wish and tell me how I can fix that problem. 

Joe, GFH....I enjoyed your Ameco AC-1 Rig!  I just got an AC-1 and will be matching it up with a Knight Ocean Hopper for a simple novice station. 

Jack, 9GT....Your pictured looked like those I remember when Popular Electronics.  Great shot!

Kevin, Welcome back from you journey from the other side!  I always tell people you had the best sounding T-368 I ever heard on the air!!!  I bought a T-3 several years back and the cosmetic restoration has been completed but I have yet to do any mod's to it.  When I do, I will pull that old Press Exchange article out and do your documented mods.

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS     

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »

Joe, use the crop feature in your scanner software. It appears you are scanning the entire platen of your scanner.
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »

Kevin, Welcome back from you journey from the other side!  I always tell people you had the best sounding T-368 I ever heard on the air!!!  I bought a T-3 several years back and the cosmetic restoration has been completed but I have yet to do any mod's to it.  When I do, I will pull that old Press Exchange article out and do your documented mods.

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS    

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the kudos on the modified T-368 modulator. I never did get around to perfecting it, though. To do that, if I recall correctly, you have to change the RF coupling cap position so that the loading cap is not in parallel with the audio. Tim HLR wrote something about that somewhere.

Although I don't have an antenna at my current QTH, I do listen online and on my portable Eton E1 -- and you have some kind of magic in your audio that makes any halfway decent speaker sound like the original Advent loudspeaker. Deep, rich, round, clean sound...

All the best,

Kevin.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »

Huzman wrote:
Joe, use the crop feature in your scanner software. It appears you are scanning the entire platen of your scanner.

Exactly Joe. I simply saved your picture, opened it up in MS Photoeditor, used the select button to highlight the picture then right click and select "crop". After that hit "save" or "save as" and ur done.
W1GFH
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »

Is that a model of a 55' Chevy atop the DX-60?  Grin
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »

As a novice starting in 1982, my first station was a HW-101, sorry no picture of the setup.  It was a very frustrating rig for a novice running CW only. That damn 6EA8 relay tube would leave the rig keyed after prolonged transmitting when going back to receive.  Dumped the HW-101 for an FT102.  Still have both rigs thought the HW101 has never been fired up since going to th FT-102. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 05:16:42 PM »

Steve and Buddly,
Thanks for the help with the "crop" function.  That should help future postings.

Kevin,
Thanks for the "kudos" on my audio! 

Lets keep those Novice pictures coming! 

Joe, W3GMS

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 05:42:45 PM »

Joe,

An excellent pic from 1965. That rig was all ya needed then.  What was your novice call and where were you located?  The pic says "Apr/1965."  I was on 3716 and 3744 (Novice) from Dec 1964 to June 1965, right when your shot was taken...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W1GFH
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »

Tom...built the AC-1 but couldn't buckle down w/the code so never took the test. Didn't actually get my license til the 70s (learned to love the code then) and went right to General as WB1GFH.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »

Joe,
I thought I answered your question but I don't see my post.  I believe the Chevy on top of my DX-60A was a 1957.  I think it had the tail fins. 
Joe, W3GMS 

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »

Bob wrote:
Still have both rigs thought the HW101 has never been fired up since going to th FT-102. 

Well Bob, ifn you ever need a place to store the HW101 I have room on my OP desk.
I'm good in QRZ Grin
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »

It's cool seeing the old B&W shots of actual Novice stations from years past, great thread Joe! I'm not sure I ever took any of my station, will have to look. It was located in several places in two homes, including a tiny closet with a sloping ceiling that nailed me in the noggin if I stood up too fast. Many fond memories of listening to W1AW code practice in that cramped space, which warmed up quickly thanks to the tube gear.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »

It was located in several places in two homes, including a tiny closet with a sloping ceiling that nailed me in the noggin if I stood up too fast. Many fond memories of listening to W1AW code practice in that cramped space, which warmed up quickly thanks to the tube gear.

heheheh -  Nothing like a cozy little shack.

When the time came to buy some coax, I didn't know about the cheaper RG-59/U. I could only afford 3 feet of RG/8U.  The stub of coax ran out my bedroom window to the Gotham vertical standing right next to the house. It was December and the window closed down on the coax leaving a big gap. The room was always cold after that. But I kept warm by calling CQ for the next 3 days - with no answers.  

Talk about PW - a General 5 miles away listened for me and heard nothing.

T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015