The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:49:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Transmitter Rally Final Proposal based on all input - PLEASE COMMENT!  (Read 53201 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: January 06, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »

Hi !

After aggregating all of the input, comments, emails, etc. the following is proposed.  AMFONE is the primary sponsor.  I have yet to contact ER mag to see if they are interested.  Radio Engineering Associates will provide logistical support (handling logs, issuing certificates, etc.).  Anyone who wants to dontate an "award" for a particular category is encouraged to do !

The proposed date is Saturday 6-Feb-2010, 6:00AM Eastern to 2:00AM the next day.  PLEASE - if this is a bad date, say something.

We have a real shot at making a good splash for AM and having a lot of fun in the process!

The event info can be found in 3 forms as follows:

http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.pdf PDF format (the prettiest)

http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm HTML format

And, here is a graphic of the PDF:

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »

Hi !

After aggregating all of the input, comments, emails, etc. the following is proposed.  AMFONE is the primary sponsor.  I have yet to contact ER mag, but they are currently listed.  Radio Engineering Associates will provide logistical support (handling logs, issuing certificates, etc.).  Anyone who wants to dontate an "award" for a particular category is encouraged to do !

The proposed date is Saturday 6-Mar-2010, 6:00AM Eastern to 2:00AM the next day.  PLEASE - if this is a bad date, say something.

We have a real shot at making a good splash for AM and having a lot of fun in the process!

The event info can be found in 3 forms as follows:

http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.pdf PDF format (the prettiest)

http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm HTML format

And, here is a graphic of the PDF:

Hi Steve,

It looks good to me, but I see an inconsistency in the date of the event: is it Feb. 6th or March 6th, 2010?

Could you clarify or correct the date?

Thanks!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »

[Hi Steve,

It looks good to me, but I see an inconsistency in the date of the event: is it Feb. 6th or March 6th, 2010?

Thank you - good find !  The correct date is Saturday, 6-FEB-2010

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:35:02 AM »

If I were to post this around for placement on QRZ.com and elsewhere, there is NO reference to band(s) or frequency zones.

Did you want to include some open-ended wording to confirm it's an HF event (yes, I can tell by the gear examples), and perhaps some sort of guide as to where to look for stations ?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »

If I were to post this around for placement on QRZ.com and elsewhere, there is NO reference to band(s) or frequency zones.

Did you want to include some open-ended wording to confirm it's an HF event (yes, I can tell by the gear examples), and perhaps some sort of guide as to where to look for stations ?

Thank you - that is a definite oversite.  The intent is for this to be an HF event, and I will make the necessary changes.

Perhaps we should only use part of the bands, to make it easier to find us (and to allow sections of the bands to be free from those darn corntesters!).  Does this make sense?

1880-1950
3710-3900
7150-7295

-or should we just leave it open to the entire band.

You know, in thinking about this - maybe for the first one, we should just use 160, 80 and 40 meters...., and I made the changes.  Also, put in suggested segments of the bands, and popular AM frequencies  Cool

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »

Looks fine to me Steve.   I'm never a log sender so I like the part about appearing in others logs (as long as someone sends in a log).

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »

Steve, 

Looks good, but I wouldn't suggest limiting the top of 160M.  Lots of fellows work AM around 1975-1995.  Looks to be a fun event and I hope it stirs-up more thru the course of the year.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »

It looks great Steve! It should be a lot fun and might encourage many who don't press the AM button on their rigs to give it a try.

I would suggest one change of wording, just for grammar and clarity. The phrase could be used either with or without commas. I believe newer grammar books would go without commas. See the attached graphic.

Rob (retired English teacher)

* AMTR notation.jpg (74.14 KB, 700x232 - viewed 743 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »

It looks great Steve! It should be a lot fun and might encourage many who don't press the AM button on their rigs to give it a try.

I would suggest one change of wording, just for grammar and clarity. The phrase could be used either with or without commas. I believe newer grammar books would go without commas. See the attached graphic.

Rob (retired English teacher)

Hi Rob,

I can't read it the attachment.   There is an odd bug that comes about with some attachments to this forum, where the browser cannot obtain the "file information", and therefore can't download or open the file.  Some day, in my copious free time, I will try to debug the problem and determine whether it is a browser thing, or something with the forum software.... In the mean time, can you just type the line in question  Wink

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »

Hi Steve,

Sure. Currently it reads as:

Note:   Both you, are the station with whom you are QSOing must be using AM.

I would propose changing that to something similar to either of these:

Note: You and the station you are in QSO with must be using AM.
Note: You, and the station you are in QSO with, must be using AM.

Rob

WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 02:13:11 PM »

Steve,

Thanks for your work on this!  It looks like a lot of fun and I hope to have a couple more rigs off the bench and air ready by then.

New Years Resolution:  Don't buy any more projects until the current queue is cleared.  So far I haven't broken it-but the year is young  Smiley

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »

Hi Steve,

Sure. Currently it reads as:

Note:   Both you, are the station with whom you are QSOing must be using AM.

I would propose changing that to something similar to either of these:

Note: You and the station you are in QSO with must be using AM.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I found it before I read your reply.  Obvious typo !    Anyway, I changed the language (although I didn't use what you suggested because I hadn't seen it)....

Also, changed the 160 meter band segments and popular AM frequencies.

Check it out!

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »

Maybe the term AM itself could be specified a little better to avoid all the rocket scientists who will argue ssb is AM.

Maybe DSB full carrier AM?

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »

That looks fine now. The wording of the document is very positive and encouraging to anyone who has tuned into AM activity but hasn't joined in. If it encourages a few more stations out there to give it a shot then we all come out ahead.

Nicely done!

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »

I would suggest including the list of commonly-used AM frequencies, but eliminate the "suggested band segments". Listing only the former would imply that most of the activity would be expected to take place on the commonly-used AM frequencies, but the use of other frequencies would be permitted if, for example, one were limited by available xtals, antennas, etc. The dual listing of frequency segments is bound to be confusing to someone.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »

Maybe I missed it in some earlier discussion, but why isn't 20, 15, or 10 meters included, or any amateur band where phone is allowed? Many AM'ers operate on 20 meters, and if 10 opens up, like it did last weekend, there could be AM activity there. Why limit the bands?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »

Steve I like it!!

Pete read the thread.

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »

I like it too and the date works for me at least.  Thanks Steve for doing the leg work.  If there's any thing I can help with, please let me know.

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KL7OF

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »

....I made 2 contacts on 20 AM for the Heavy metal Rally...I won't be able to participate If it is held in Feb...  Thanks for your efforts Steve!  Have Fun!!
Steve KL7OF
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »

Steve I like it!!

Pete read the thread.

G

All I found; Steve said:
"You know, in thinking about this - maybe for the first one, we should just use 160, 80 and 40 meters...., and I made the changes.  Also, put in suggested segments of the bands, and popular AM frequencies"

But no reason! Something wrong with the rest of the bands where phone is allowed. If prospective participants have no room for 160 or 80 meter wire antennas, they may have antennas for other bands. Plus lower power participants may have a better chance of working the higher HF bands and making AM contacts without trying to fight through the high power crud that sometimes prevails on 160, 80, or 40 meters.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KC2IFR
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »

Steve.......
I also like it........thanks for your time in thinking this out.

Bill
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »

I love everything but the DATE.  I work every other weekend, 7pm to 7am and naturally Murphy scheduled me for the proposed weekend.  But that's my problem and I have to sacrafice quite a bit of activities due to my particular job.

All that being said, otoh, I will be off the 3 weekends in Jan/Feb and March for the hamfests that will be nearby, Jackson, MS - Orange, TX and Rayne, LA so I hope to see some AMers attending those!  I'll be wearing my callsign tag!

73 and you guys have fun with this event!  Maybe we can do it a couple times a year even!

John KX5JT

AMI#1684
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.  This has come about due to lots of thinking, discussing and hashing by the membership here, and it really works !

Ok, bands - please give some guidance here with respect to the other HF bands outside of 160-40.

The only reasons I was thinking of 160-40 was to prevent possible backlash from "other" groups if we step on a bunch of aligators up on 20 meters (where they're not used to lots of AMers).  But that may be a misguided thought.

I think that's the last item for which we need to reach consensus before we can go "public"  Wink

You guys who operate 20, 15 and 10 a lot - what do you think about this?  Pete, you and probably several others have a lot more experience operating up there.  If you (all) think it's not going to cause any fallout.......

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »

It's winter and short notice. The sunspots are minimal. Why not concentrate on the low bands and leave well enough alone this time?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »

Or why not just have it be an all-band thing, and not worry about it?

Not like it's any more work, one way or the other.

If people want to work 20, 15, 10 meters... fine....

If for some reason the higher bands open up, great!

If not, everyone will be on 160, 75, and 40 anyway.
------

I still think it ought to be a week-end long event  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015