The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:14:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Transmitter Rally Final Proposal based on all input - PLEASE COMMENT!  (Read 53135 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.  This has come about due to lots of thinking, discussing and hashing by the membership here, and it really works !

Ok, bands - please give some guidance here with respect to the other HF bands outside of 160-40.

The only reasons I was thinking of 160-40 was to prevent possible backlash from "other" groups if we step on a bunch of aligators up on 20 meters (where they're not used to lots of AMers).  But that may be a misguided thought.

I think that's the last item for which we need to reach consensus before we can go "public"  Wink

You guys who operate 20, 15 and 10 a lot - what do you think about this?  Pete, you and probably several others have a lot more experience operating up there.  If you (all) think it's not going to cause any fallout.......

As Bruce just mentioned, why limit it to 160, 80 and 40 meters. If folks want to participate on the higher bands, great, if they don't, or the bands are dead, they will either move down to the lower frequencies if they can, or just go watch the tube. I'm not sure what other "groups" you are referring to on bands like 20, 15, or 10 meters.
"Man" should know "his" limitations whether operating the AM or SSB modes. This is also a perfect opportunity to generate some AM activity on those bands where, especially on 15 and 10 meters, your "alligators" generally are not a problem as normally can be experienced on 160, 80, and 40 meters.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KL7OF

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »

I operate 20 AM several times a week in the afternoon on 14286 kc...I would welcome the activity and don't worry about offending any "groups"  A" first come" basis is in effect there just like the rest of the phone bands..
K9ACT
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »

Ditto on 20 meters.  It's a must!

Jack
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 01:36:55 AM »

Done  Cheesy    Please check my work!  I made changes to the first portion of the document - the commonly used frequency section in particular.  I believe the 20 meter frequency is 14285, and the 10 meter freq is 28800.  Please let me know if this is in error.

If all checks out, we're ready to ship it as we used to say at Digital  Grin

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 01:53:11 AM »

Steve,

20 meters is 14286  and 10 is just above 29 megs but don't remember exactly ...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 03:47:37 AM »

10 meters is AM active from 29000 to 29200.

From the AM Window:
http://www.amwindow.org/freq.htm

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:32 AM »

10 meters is AM active from 29000 to 29200.

From the AM Window:
http://www.amwindow.org/freq.htm

Thanks !!!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 07:41:50 AM »

I like it and hopefully by that time my station will be in FB enuff shape to just be able to sit down and operate and have a good time being fresh on the mic.  Cool
KB1IAW

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

Thanks, Steve. Nice work!
W1QWT

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:35 AM »

Ok, bands - please give some guidance here with respect to the other HF bands outside of 160-40.

Some of us south of Boston went to 6 meter AM so the locals with Tech licenses could join us.
Gave these, mostly new hams, a taste of AM.
Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
KB1IAW

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »

Some of us south of Boston went to 6 meter AM so the locals with Tech licenses could join us.
Gave these, mostly new hams, a taste of AM.
Regards
Q

We have a fairly active group on 6 meters AM in southern Maine too. Most seem to enjoy operating some inexpensive old tube gear. I view it as a gateway drug. Smiley
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »

THANKS for all of the feedback and comments.   Cheesy   This has been very collaborative.

I have made revisions to the documents, including the addition of a log format sample and pointers to template logs.  Please review and comment if I missed or botched something  Grin

My suggestion is to see how this one goes, and make adjustments (if necessary) for subsequent events.

Since we have such a large critical mass with the board membership, this event has great potential for success.  We could easily do a 6 meter event at some point (that would be VERY interesting, particularly in summer !), etc.

Posting the event information on reflectors, QRZ.com, QTH.com, etc. should really generate some attention (positive, I hope!).

WA3VJB
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »

OK, if the collective body approves, let's start handing out the flyers.

Volunteers?  There are plenty of reflectors and websites where this event will be of interest. Please step up, here, and say where you can post and distribute.

Here's what I will do:

I will handle distribution of the announcement to the news pages of QRZ.com, eham.net, and to the following email reflectors to which I subscribe: "AMRadio," and "bcast_xmtr_4ham."

Do we want to alert the people in Newington, Pete? I nominate you.,

Who's handling Electric Radio ?  

Some publishing deadlines for hardcopy outlets may have already passed.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »

OK, if the collective body approves, let's start handing out the flyers.

Do we want to alert the people in Newington, Pete? I nominate you.,

Frank WA1GFZ's cousin WORKS at W1AW (apparently he's the chief op or chief engineer or something good like that!).  So that's another possibility.  Seriously, someone who lives nearby should go to W1AW and operate AM during the event.  We do have the "Vintage AM" station set up there.....although I believe it needs some minor attention (check with Frank) - otherwise, I think it's operational.  They have a Flex 5000, and I know that functions correctly.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »

Thanks for doing this guys!  Going to be alot of fun!

I vote for all Bands!  160 through 10. You never know what band is going to be hot that day and during the time you are on.  I think it would be a blast to make some 10 meter AM contacts. I have a 5/8ths wave Vert at 86 ft.  My neighbors will really hate this though Smiley

Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »

Hi: Steve

Here is my comment I like the Idea any time we can have a AM contect that is the thing to do. I will be there, I just hope someone talks to me on 7295Kc.

John W9BFO
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »

Don't restrict it to just lower HF.  I say AM on all bands, even beyond 6m.  I may try 2m AM and see what happens. It's an AM contact and should be considered in the scheme.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »

Ok, I think we're ready to ship !  Please check the updated information (refresh the page with the flyer, if necessary to see the latest version).

It's 160-10, Saturday Feb 6, 0600EST to 0200EST the following day.

A formal announcement is already in the works !

This is going to be great!

Thanks to everyone for helping make this a reality.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »

One minor issue, if one does not own or use a computer and thus lacks internet access how will they know about this event?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »

One minor issue, if one does not own or use a computer and thus lacks internet access how will they know about this event?

Start talking about it on the air now!!

Maybe next year it'll make print.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »

Someone please make an email about this or a Document.   This way, I can forward it to AMI and other large AM groups. The photo format is large in size and not the best to email around.

C
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »

Someone please make an email about this or a Document.   This way, I can forward it to AMI and other large AM groups. The photo format is large in size and not the best to email around.

C

Use the PDF file Steve posted the link to.....

http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.pdf

WA3VJB
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »

Someone please make an email about this or a Document.   This way, I can forward it to AMI and other large AM groups.

Steve has provided a link that ends in "PDF"

If you download this file, and save it to your local drive, it can become the attachment that you can subsequently email around.

Not all reflectors and lists accept attachments.

So you might want to stick with using the URL that Steve has supplied. Just copy the link, and paste the string in the text-only body of the email that you send around.

The other one may download faster for people on slow connections:
http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm

Either of his links can be copied and pasted into your email.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »

I have created a version using very simple HTML, suitable for emailing.

Anyone who wants this, please email me, and I will email this to you.

My mail is: cloutier@radioassociates.com

cloutier@radioassociates.com

A simple HTML (no fancy fonts, styles or microsoft-isms) is here: http://www.classeradio.com/amtrmail.htm

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »

I will be there and make contacts, but I don't think I'm going to submit an official log. I'm not into contesting, not since a 1967 all-nighter on theARRL Sweepstakes party.

Hey, Steve, change the name of the event to the "05K00A3E Rally".
Or whatever the correct FCC designation is for 5 KC bandwidth DSB AM on HF is...

LOL

-Bill
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015