The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:39:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80M is HOT Sat nite  (Read 14464 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »

There's a delay of about 20 to 45 seconds from real time due to internet "propagation".  That's right internet streams "propagate" around the world through various routers and other superhighway centers.

I find the online recievers are nice for checking your own signals propagation.  I do listen to them from work since I don't have a receiver here.  I work in a large metal building so I otherwise wouldn't have a good chance at decent reception in here.

AMI#1684
K9ACT
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »

But do people actually use them now for 'working' AM? I mean, if you're using an online receiver to complete or claim a contact, wouldn't that basically be a simplex version of Skype? You might as well just make a phone call.

I don't think anyone is suggesting using GT in that way all though it happened to me that way once. I use GT for antenna, modulation and audio testing. There is a nice 10 second delay so you can talk for nine seconds, then unkey and listen to yourself without any distraction.

I did this once and someone came back to me that I could not hear in my local receiver.  This was just a fluke and not intended.

The real problem with GT is that most of them use "one size fits all" antennae or even worse so the signal strength is nothing you can take to the bank but is really likely to be better than what you hear.

The other thing you can do is to have your own DX contest. See how many countries you can work, give your self a sig report and GL in the contest.  Send your log to Santa and you will receive a very nice certificate.

Jack

js
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »

The online RXers are fun to use.  I never use them for on air contacts though.  I have sat in hotel rooms stripped of all my radios while on biz trips.  Then, I can logon and listen to the guys chat thousands of miles away. 

Another good use is to fine one way out where you have a good signal into. Then adjust mics and compressors ect.  I plug headphones into the laptop and key down and listen to myself. The delay allows me to really hear what I sound like over the air.

C
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

I guess I'm gonna have to fire up the FLEX and the Titan flamethrower and make some waves on 75M.

The remote receivers are a great use of the Internet. Don't need no radio check!!

I still enjoyed the YouTube vid of the distant end receiving K1JJ on his 40M stack and actually seeing the sig meter and hearing what happens to the radio signal thousands of miles away. The Huzmman was making schwangin the munkey too.

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015