The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:46:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Cape of Cod" - Antennas  (Read 3825 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: January 02, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »

The wife and I just got back from a couple of days up at the Cape.

Took a different route coming home which was a mistake.  Got slammed with the snow storm that is just off the coast. It was slow going but we made it home without to much trouble otherwise.  It's my first time using a 4WD vehicle so it was an easier drive on snow covered roadways. 

Anyway, while up at the cape just happened to notice some nice tower sites out along Rt 6A. I'm not sure what town it was, maybe Barnstable, there was a pretty tall tower with various arrays on it but the one thing that grabbed my attention was what looked like a capacitance hat on top of the tower. First time I've seen one of those on a commercial tower.

Coming back on the wrong route outside of Plymouth was a big tower site. Looked like a directional AMBC setup right around Rt 3/I-495.  It was hard to see with the heavy snow but the 4 maybe 5 towers in a straight line that were somewhat visible.  Saw several others while on our travels too. Some big stuff.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »

This website can probably help you ID the towers.

http://www.radio-locator.com/
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »

Did you pass by/pass under the old WCC receiving site antennas out on Rt. 28 (I think) heading north out of Chatham?

I have some pictures from a trip out there in September of what's left of their towers, rhombics, and a big LPDA that's now being used as an osprey's nest.  Will post a few here (just realized they are still on my camera's SD chip) when I get back home (now playing radio in the mobile and cruising the Net via WiFi hot spots of opportunity while wife Diane is shopping)

The good news is that the site, which appeared to me to be in the process of being converted to residential condos, is being restored as an educational science center by the town of Chatham and a non-profit foundation.  The site's radio heritage and ham radio apparently will play a big part in the programs there.  Here's the URL for their web site:  http://www.chathammarconi.org/

About ten years ago while driving home on Rt 6 through Chatham from a January VHF contest operation with my buddy Steve KL7JT, at the Wellfleet Marconi Station site (FN51), a spur response in my car radio set on WCBS 880 kc put on a nice beat note from one of the WCC transmitters' ID wheel...VVV VVV VVV DE WCC WCC WCC...and then faded away... a nice farewell from a grand old lady of a coastal station.  Never heard it again on subsequent trips, they probably had gone dark by then.  I believe their 600 meter transmit tower on the beach in Chatham has been taken down.  Not sure of what became of the transmitter site itself.  When I was a very young, we used to stay at a rental cottage just up the beach to the west from it.  Can still picture it in my mind's eye...made quite an impression on a 5 year old JN....I also vaguely remember from those days seeing some odd looking telephone poles with what may have been Beverage antennas running along the road for quite a long way near the receiving site....those are definitely gone from the scene.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »

YUP
Commercial A.M. radio definitely uses capacity hats. It was unusual, but what used to be 980 WRC radio in Washington DC has a beautiful tower with a capacity hat and the station has very nice coverage. Being in the middle of the A.M. band has benefits too.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1QWT

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »

K1WCC, a friend from the Cape, says: "He’s talking about microwave hill in Barnstable. WQRC has their big tower there along with all kinds of commercial towers, some old and odd looking."

Also along Rt 3 in Plymouth is WPLM. That might be the other towers you saw. They have 4 towers parallel to RT 3. It is a directional AM broadcast station.

Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »

K1WCC, a friend from the Cape, says: "He’s talking about microwave hill in Barnstable. WQRC has their big tower there along with all kinds of commercial towers, some old and odd looking."

Also along Rt 3 in Plymouth is WPLM. That might be the other towers you saw. They have 4 towers parallel to RT 3. It is a directional AM broadcast station.

Regards
Q

Thanks Q.  Those are the ones I saw.  Some interesting stuff mounted on the one in Barnstable.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »

I think it was 99 or shortly thereafter that the old WCC receiving site got turned over to the town and they promptly started dropping towers and poles except for a few in the marsh that were left for nesting Osprey or such. The sky around there use to be loaded with towers, poles, and wires galore. I vividly remember stumbling onto the place back in early 80s and visiting it several times throughout the years. Those Craftsman bungalows they rented out were once used by employees and their families who worked at the station.

Always hoped I'd find a CRM-6B sitting by the dumpster there, but it never happened.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015