The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:50:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Im sure I will get flamed for this.......(not the first time!)  (Read 20661 times)
KC2IFR
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »

75 meters starts to fold up at about 5 to 6 PM here at my QTH. Today there was a big group in the "window". Most all folks acknowledged that they knew the band would go long.....but a few stations rambled on for at least 10 minutes before they stopped. By the time they stopped transmitting the band folded up.
PLEASE folks get u head together and limit u transmitter time...........IS THIS SO HARD?

Bill 
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »

75 meters starts to fold up at about 5 to 6 PM here at my QTH. Today there was a big group in the "window". Most all folks acknowledged that they knew the band would go long.....but a few stations rambled on for at least 10 minutes before they stopped. By the time they stopped transmitting the band folded up.
PLEASE folks get u head together and limit u transmitter time...........IS THIS SO HARD?

Bill 

For some it is Bill.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »

Very true. With the way the band changes, it only takes a minute for someone to just disappear, and no one will hear them anyway. Save the old buzzard trnsmissions for when the band is in great shape and you can be heard.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KC2IFR
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »

What amazes me is that they have nothing to say..........they just go on and on and on.........
kb3ouk

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »

And even when the band is in good shape you shouldn't ramble on that long if it is a big group and if you want to keep those in the group's attention. (edited it I put should instead of shouldn't)

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KC2IFR
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »

exactly...........
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:41 PM »

Next time move down a little lower and start a new QSO. There were 2 people having a nice QSO there until the hola holas zero beated. Those guys needed a little help from their friends.
KC2IFR
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »

I can move down but the folks I want to talk to are on the freq. in question. The band will still fold up when I move down.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 07:22:42 PM »

Your friends were going to fade out anyway. When the band goes long you can make some new friends in Idaho.
KC2IFR
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »

True.......but at least I can talk to my friends before the the band folds.
Tough crowd......... Tongue
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »

There's always 160.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »

I always call my friends on the phone. No need to worry about propagation or QRM.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »

Next time move down a little lower and start a new QSO. There were 2 people having a nice QSO there until the hola holas zero beated. Those guys needed a little help from their friends.

Bill,
That was me and KA1CU on 3873.  I was listening to you guys (QIX, Stu and VTP) on 3880 but the group got too big too fast for my tastes, so I started another qso a little lower.  Checked out around 5;30pm....I don't care much for huge roundtables, reminds me of a rush hour traffic jam....(like the Northway at 5pm)   Wink

By the way Happy Thanksgiving... Grin
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »

This a shot at anyone

What I find interesting is some of the longest AM buzzard transmissions are from 75 mtr stations that espoused break in and cursed "buzzards" in the 60s.
I guess we all change with time Grin

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
kb3ouk

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 08:59:41 PM »

Has anyone ever heard what they would call the longest old buzzard transmission ever? The average seems to be ten minutes. I remember hearing the Tron around 7300 in the afternoon about 2 years ago and i timed him, it took him 10 minutes to get his point across.

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »

Has anyone ever heard what they would call the longest old buzzard transmission ever? The average seems to be ten minutes. I remember hearing the Tron around 7300 in the afternoon about 2 years ago and i timed him, it took him 10 minutes to get his point across.

Too bad you never heard W5PYT.  He was the king.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »

I remember a few years back a guy would get on 40 meters and go at it for 45 minutes straight without coming up for air. I forgot his call but I don't know how he did it Huh Huh One time when he was done I went PHEW! He said thank you Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
kb3ouk

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 10:24:12 PM »

I can imagine his transmitter felt the same way.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »

I remember a few years back a guy would get on 40 meters and go at it for 45 minutes straight without coming up for air. I forgot his call but I don't know how he did it Huh Huh One time when he was done I went PHEW! He said thank you Grin Grin

These guys go on to become broadcast talk radio hosts.  In Chicago the buzzard kings can be heard on 890 KHz.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »

There's always 160.

Oh yeah, I second this--I'm spending most of my operating time on 1880 and 1885 where I set up my feedpoint tuner and worked Bill KD0HG tonight and he strapped almost as well as Don KYV.

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »

10 minutes ?
I know several people, tron included that have to give their callsigns at least 2 if not 3 times during one transmission.

And Bill , IFR  , if  they are your friends... I'm sure you can tell them next time you talk with them.
Seems a rather pointless thing to complain about on here.

That's MY opinion on that.
 Smiley

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 11:50:48 PM »

Bob
BTW- Nice sig into CT tonight on 1.885 at 04:45 UTC talking about visiting no  ham relatives for Thanksgiving. Steady S8 on the SDR-IQ with an75 mtr G5RV

* Screen.jpg (132.44 KB, 1024x674 - viewed 438 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K9PNP

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:01 AM »

I think he went to SSB and moved to 7250 more or less.  Gotta be the same one.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »

Bob
BTW- Nice sig into CT tonight on 1.885 at 04:45 UTC talking about visiting no  ham relatives for Thanksgiving. Steady S8 on the SDR-IQ with an75 mtr G5RV
Hey Carl THANX good to know I'm putting any kind of sig. into CT on 160 with my 200 w.!  in ur direction the inv. L has ground clutter--aluminum sided garage and house in the way and worse, ground rising up out of the river valley, so most of the 50 ft. vertical part of the L is looking into the bank of the fox river valley (I'm about 100 feet from the east bank of the river).  I've toyed with the idea of strapping the aluminum siding into the radial ground system.  Got to download and save that plot.

73 & Happy Tgvg

Rob
K5UJ

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »

Too bad you never heard W5PYT.  He was the king.

Yes Bob was king. I once tuned him in while doing car work in the garage. This was about 1984, in Texas (yes I know, the NE folks are already yawning). Bob was all fired up and on 3880. I had a engine problem where the car would backfire. I checked my plugs one at a time (V8), then set the timing, test drive. Bob was still talking. Then I changed the carburetor from  carter AVS 4 barrel to a Carter AFB. Had to deal with linkage and choke issues. Bob was still talking. Another test drive, come back. Bob was still talking. I put my tools away. Bob was still talking. I'm getting ready to go in the house, and Bob turns it over to whoever was next, and there was dead air. Nobody was there. Bob must have been going for about 3-4 hours!!

Another Ham that aggravated BOB was Rick K8MLV. Rick is in the video about W8VYZ on www.amforever.com.
Rick (SK) was famous for PW signals on 7160, and extremely long and uninteresting transmissions. There would be 3-4 big guns standing by in a roundtable with BC-610's..Who would key up every few minutes to fight off invading SSB QRM. Rick would ramble on, signal barely copyable. Bob, W5PYT, would break in and say, "The weaker they are the longer they talk".

I miss hearing BOB.. Brian has a good post of Bob on his website with a audio link to Bob on 20m:

http://www.amforever.com/

Jim
WD5JKO

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015