The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:07:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Im sure I will get flamed for this.......(not the first time!)  (Read 20643 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 11:25:04 AM »

Hi Bill,

That was a good QSO - then the band died.  Oh well, I suppose we could have moved it to 160 meters!

Maybe next time - now that this will become a pattern.

C.U. on 75 today (Turkey Day).

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »

Watt everyone should do is run two independent stations, one on 160 and another on 75 making sure that the exact people who you are talking with are on both bands. Soon as the band goes long you would have a seamless entry onto 160.

Problem solved  Grin Grin Grin

No need for payment, I like thinking up goofy ideas like this Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »

There's always 160.

Oh yeah, I second this--I'm spending most of my operating time on 1880 and 1885 where I set up my feedpoint tuner and worked Bill KD0HG tonight and he strapped almost as well as Don KYV.

Someone strapped DON?HuhHuh? Buzzardry is usally reserved for the folks running 25 watts of carrier.
And there should be time out timers on everyone's TX........HA!
80M is taking on the characteristics of 20??? Cant' chat too long there.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 09:19:44 PM »

Watt everyone should do is run two independent stations, one on 160 and another on 75 making sure that the exact people who you are talking with are on both bands. Soon as the band goes long you would have a seamless entry onto 160.

Problem solved  Grin Grin Grin

No need for payment, I like thinking up goofy ideas like this Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

No, stay on both bands, simul-transmission and reception.  It's called diversity  Grin Grin

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »

There's always 160.

Oh yeah, I second this--I'm spending most of my operating time on 1880 and 1885 where I set up my feedpoint tuner and worked Bill KD0HG tonight and he strapped almost as well as Don KYV.

Someone strapped DON?HuhHuh?

Fred, read it again--note "almost" in there  Cheesy

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 11:45:23 AM »

There's always 160.

Someone strapped DON?HuhHuh?

Fred, read it again--note "almost" in there  Cheesy

OK Rob, you got me on a technicality. I heard you in there too. Not as strapping but workable if it wasn't so busy that night.

FRED KC4MOP

Fred KC4MOP
K9ACT
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 11:53:52 PM »

FRED KC4MOP

[/quote]

Did I do that?  Blew your cover?

The upside is that now I can sleep at night knowing who you are.

Thanks Fred

js
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 11:54:47 PM »

Fred, today I added about 400 pF load cap to the amp tank that gets switched in on 160 so I can squeeze a bit more goo out of the rig to make up for antenna and tuner loss.   Before it wasn't adequately loading on 160 and I was limited to about 200 w.  Now running about 250.  A few watts here...a few watts there....and pretty soon ur running some power.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »

I was on 160 AM last night for the first time this year. I started out with the Viking I talking with Bill, K1BF. Don K4KYV started calling CQ on top of us because he couldn't hear Bill (who was only running 20 watts from Maine). Bill put a couple of 812's on the 'fire' and I lit off the HN-500. Don I guess didn't want to join us and moved up band. Bill KC2IFR came in and was quite strapping. Unfortunately, I had to disengaged to 'husbandly duties' when the XYL came home, (see what you are in for Tim! ;>)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »

Mikey i'm looking 4wrd to wrking u on 160

rob

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »

Good conditions on TNXgiving night with W2JBL, K1KBW and W1AEX. This was my first contacts on 160 in over 6 months.
KC2IFR
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 08:45:03 PM »

Man......I cant believe all the posts......the point I was TRYING to make had nothing to do with old buzzard transmissions buy themselves.......my point was if the person making the old buzzed knows the band is about to fold........keep it short!

Thanks all and Happy Turkey Day.

Bill  
wb1aij
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »

What amazes me is that they have nothing to say..........they just go on and on and on.........
Ok, now I don't feel so bad as I am not the only one that feels this way. That is the reason I haven't been on the air for the better part of a year.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 04:38:34 PM »

Dont get off, just be more selective.
I wont often jump into a large group with old buzzards talking about everything they did that day (nothing of any intrest) or people who MUST spend 10 minutes saying something that could have been said in 1....but then I might be guilty of that......never mind....

90% of my time is spent listening, the other 10% seems to be some really good, fun, informative qso's.

I find it more interesting asking the other people/person questions about almost anything, their town, their job, their crazy radio lash up...

I doubt they would be very interested to hear me go on for 10 minutes about my household chores or why one cup of coffee was good, but the 2nd was not so good, etc....

And you have to remember, its only ham radio, and that there are some very old buzzards around...

Brett
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »

Break-in type QSO's with more then 3 stations work for me. I also noticed that some amateurs have difficultly actually signing off. It takes, at times, many minutes to actually sign off, after they announce they're signing off. Probably contesting and chasing DX is becoming more popular because you don't have to deal with "old buzzard" and rambling type transmissions.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »

Break-in type QSO's with more then 3 stations work for me. I also noticed that some amateurs have difficultly actually signing off. I takes, at times, many minutes to actually sign off, after they announce they're signing off. Probably contesting and chasing DX is becoming more popular because you don't have to deal with "old buzzard" and rambling type transmissions.

I once built a 3 minute timer that automatically reset when I keyed up and then cut the PTT line after it timed out. Today, maybe even 3 minutes is too long. It worked and I learned to keep my transmissions much shorter after that. Gawd, I could be  a boring bastard at times 20 years ago from the self-recorded tapes I heard of myself.

Pete, you probably remember an article in QST - I think it was in the late 60's or early 70's. It talked of a survey done by a ham who listened to the content of any QSO he came across on the bands. He found that hams spent a high percentage of their QSO just saying hello and goodbye. I think the percentage was in the mid 70% area.

Of course this would vary depending on if he monitored established groups, CQer's  or contesters, but it was a startling discovery to me.

So, Pete, nice to meet you and hope to catch ya down the log and I'll be looking for you on the bands forever now that I've met you, and... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »

hi Tom, you have a more updated pic of Yaz? that would
be cool to see him now. we lost our pooch a cpl yrs ago.
I usually stay out of old buzzard qsos...

am forever!
KL7OF

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »

The weaker they are............................The longer they talk...................So very true
KC2IFR
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »

How true....how true......
The weaker they are............................The longer they talk

But also if u guys could have heard this qso.......the offending station had nothing to say that was relevant.

Bill
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »

hi Tom, you have a more updated pic of Yaz? that would
be cool to see him now. we lost our pooch a cpl yrs ago.
I usually stay out of old buzzard qsos...

Hi Dino,

So sorry to hear about your buddy there. Maybe it's time to get another?

Well, here's a coupla pics of Yaz III. I got my first Yaz when I was 21 years old and have had one ever since. I just love these guys.

I know you like to kayak. Here's Yaz's "Excellent Sailing Adventure."  You'll get a kick outa this:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=21375.0

Maybe catch ya on the air soon.  I plan on some serious activity soon. Been working too hard lately.

T

* YazPic.jpg (266.16 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 415 times.)

* YAZ-b.jpg (65.98 KB, 640x480 - viewed 362 times.)

* Yaz-Sailing.jpg (329.86 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 347 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

wb1aij
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »

Here's Yaz's "Excellent Sailing Adventure."  

[/quote] I like the doggie pics; there is no better buddy to "do stuff" with. I always took my dogs in the canoe & just like in your 3rd picture they would periodically look back to make sure I was still there on the back seat. Who did they think was paddling the canoe if I wasn't there?HuhHuhHuh?? Dogs are like your own personal clowns; they always find a way to make you laugh & then they repeat it over & over & over. Cute in dogs but not in people.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »

Break-in type QSO's with more then 3 stations work for me. I also noticed that some amateurs have difficultly actually signing off. I takes, at times, many minutes to actually sign off, after they announce they're signing off. Probably contesting and chasing DX is becoming more popular because you don't have to deal with "old buzzard" and rambling type transmissions.

I once built a 3 minute timer that automatically reset when I keyed up and then cut the PTT line after it timed out. Today, maybe even 3 minutes is too long. It worked and I learned to keep my transmissions much shorter after that. Gawd, I could be  a boring bastard at times 20 years ago from the self-recorded tapes I heard of myself.

Pete, you probably remember an article in QST - I think it was in the late 60's or early 70's. It talked of a survey done by a ham who listened to the content of any QSO he came across on the bands. He found that hams spent a high percentage of their QSO just saying hello and goodbye. I think the percentage was in the mid 70% area.

Of course this would vary depending on if he monitored established groups, CQer's  or contesters, but it was a startling discovery to me.

So, Pete, nice to meet you and hope to catch ya down the log and I'll be looking for you on the bands forever now that I've met you, and... Grin

T

Don't remember the article but I would bet it made some interesting reading. I don't think that generally most contest operators and DX hunters have much problem making the contact, exchanging prevalent information, and then quickly moving on to the next contact. They're on a mission and have goals to achieve. One on one contacts, with reasonably short transmissions work for me and larger groups that operate break-in style are also fine. Groups that use a rotation method generally are the most boring, since many transmissions sometimes tend to become directed to only one or more participants, causing the rest to maybe become bored and disinterested. Then there are those, when its their turn, repeat everything that everyone said in the prior transmissions without ever adding to the conversation. Then there are those who only embrace the "ramble" or "PYT" style of transmission which, if it could be marketed, would be an excellent remedy for insomniacs.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »

I like the doggie pics; there is no better buddy to "do stuff" with. I always took my dogs in the canoe & just like in your 3rd picture they would periodically look back to make sure I was still there on the back seat. Who did they think was paddling the canoe if I wasn't there?HuhHuhHuh?? Dogs are like your own personal clowns; they always find a way to make you laugh & then they repeat it over & over & over. Cute in dogs but not in people.

heheheh  - I never thought of that -  maybe they look back at us as a habit taken from the trail walks.  Yaz looks back about every 18-21 steps he makes to be sure I'm still following. He was trained early on that I could sometimes disappear behind a tree.  I made him panic a few times so he wud stick with me... at least within sight all the time.

Another thing that surprises people - did you ever wonder why they like to be the leader on a trail? Nose/sniffing dogs like Yaz, want a non-contaminated trail to sniff. If I get ahead of him, he will quickly run past me, then slow down to sniff as he walks.... Grin

I feel bad I can't take him sailing in the winter. Last year the random thin ice formed last Dec 1st and was our last sail.  I almost got trapped out there when a breeze suddenly froze the surface. I couldn't believe how hard it was to move using a paddle.

Yaz always moves from the back to front of the boat for different views - with my permission first. Once in a while he'll fall off and I'll have to turn around to rescue him. He walks on the thin gunwales... funny stuf.

Bet you enjoyed your canoeing with your buddy too.

T

WA3VJB
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »

Wet dogs are having the most fun.

* IMG_0104~30.JPG (119.92 KB, 922x692 - viewed 384 times.)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »

Another thing that surprises people - did you ever wonder why they like to be the leader on a trail? Nose/sniffing dogs like Yaz, want a non-contaminated trail to sniff. If I get ahead of him, he will quickly run past me, then slow down to sniff as he walks.... Grin

T

I learn something every day!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015