The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:00:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Dealers  (Read 16487 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »

speaking of dumpsters...
Did'ja see where a couple of lovers were using a dumpster for romance the other day when a couple of more guys got in with them and robbed them?

Beware of excessive dumpster divin'.  -er, as Pete says, " know your local law."

RICK  *W3RSW*
John K5PRO

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »

I did the same. I remember getting a bunch of black telephones with chrome rotary dials, from the dumpster behind the General Telephone C.O. (GTE) in my hometown. Plus many feet of that really tough steel wire they strung.
Later I graduated from telephones to TV/radios by hanging out afternoons at a repair shop, I would load up whatever they tossed out back, into my bicycle basket and sneak it into my dad's garage, where I would take all the parts out and dump the chassis and CRT (after, of course, smashing it with a WOOSH). Eventually a radio guy gave me a Hallicrafters S36 that I could barely haul in my basket.

"Don't underestimate trash scavenging..
I got my first TV set by riding my bike up and down the alleys and finding old TVs, then coming back with a wagon and dragging them home. I did that a few times and then just started carying tools and a box, and I'd get all the tubes and the transformers right there.. "
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »

I'm Not much on SK chasers we have a couple around my area an as soon as somebody kicks the can they're knocking on the door.

I don't have a problem with Profit either or what somebody sells it's their biz, but SK chasers Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

You got that right. We around here used to call them "collins collectors" because they'd go in and pick off the meatballs for a few pennies and leave the widow with the spaghetti.. but that was demeaning to collectors of collins equipment most of which are decent people.

My parents are having a large involvement (along with some other neighbors of long standing on our street) in taking care of Frank's XYL. Even before, for several years, the good old neighbors would take turns taking her and Frank to the store, the doctors, etc. I told my dad about SK chasers and my mom said the poor lady didn't know what to do about all Frank's equipment, so they told her to not do a thing for 6 months, there is never any rush.

I was very happy to see several people from his ham radio club at the funeral service. Those are his long time friends and would never do anything wrong against his wife, so at least there is nothing to worry about in this case.

Frank didn't have any Collins stuff recently, but he used to work on it. He used to go on and on about autotune and slug racks and servos.. Because of that I bought three 618S-1's years later. A thing of beauty to watch, especially with a VFO jacked in.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »

I cant imagine wasting money on a HM or anyones else restoration. My stuff gets used and not stored in a enviromentally controlled chapel.

When I was a skinny 17 year old the 2 BC-610's from AF MARS came apart in the garage and into the basement in manageable sections. Once the first one was fired up and creamed every TV in the area they both got stripped for parts. That wound up as a PP 250TH amp using MARS 810's for audio and the mod iron from some local who was going SSB.

Never cooked either 610 PS using one for RF and the other for audio.

These days I lift weights (just enough to be usefull) as does my 22 year old son ( benches 300 #) so I had help getting both HT-9's out of the trunk and into the basement. The physical size is too much for one person and they are high on the lowest ouput per pound and weight list of the 40's and later. Maybe the Meissner 150B is the king but all I have of that is the VFO unit.  I still lug the Vikings, R-390A and similar dead weight by myself.

Carl
KM1H

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 02:04:57 AM »

Having one HT-9 that might be repairable and one for parts, it seems OK. Not sure how I will use it. Too wide for a 19" rack and space is at a premium.

w1vtp

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »

<snip>...
 So the QSO topic came up of how hams in the old days moved their gear around when damn near everything weighed at least 100 lbs.   Were they all in-shape muscle men back then? <snip>

Rob K5UJ

Yeah - I remember moving some pretty heavy stuff back in the 70's (100llbs+) and I had a serious back problem.  WHAT WAS I THINKING (NOT)?  I dunno, I just moved the stuff around the best I could and didn't have help doing it.  Maybe that's the reason in 1980, I finally had to have a bilateral fusion in my back.  Stupid of me, but I really was having fun! Grin

I have to agree that I never could abide pristine museum pieces in my shack.  I want a few nicks and scratches in it so I'm comfortable with it.

Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »

yeah. I am going to smoke in front of it, why ruin a pristine item..

And for the heavy stuff, if it is over 100-150 lbs I put it on a furniture dolly and wheel it to the block and tackle, then lift it to a cart. No more just picking it up. There is a pair of 200A GE Inductrol voltage regulators, each is 150 lbs. Each has two lifting rings, opposing corners. I remember putting a finger through each, and lifting the thing to carry it slowly across the shack 15 years ago. A year or so ago I needed to oil the bearings in the motor and tried that and no dice. The fingers still seemed willing but the back refused. what was I thinking?

Has anyone of some age who routinely builds and uses a lot of tools noticed their hands are still very good, or have people (maybe older than some) found they have arthritis or other issues that now get in the way of the pleasures of hand tools?

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »

Im pushing 69 and have always used my hands, arms, legs, and back fairly hard as my other hobby is messing around with many things automotive. I also climb my towers which are 60, 100, 100, and 180'. So far no problems. I also do modest weight lifting plus hand and wrist exercises....no, not that kind Cheesy. In HS I was active in many sports including track and cross country.

Dont know if it helps but I pop a triple strength Glusosamine/Chondroiton every AM. Doc says its benefits are unknown but doesnt seem to have any downside.

The last thing I want is to become a couch potato so hopefully I'll be active until I reach room temperature.

Now, if I could only lose 10 damn pounds around the middle! That is really bugging me.

Carl
ka3zlr
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »

Gotaa Firm Grip huh Carl,.. Grin.. what's the Glusosamine for if nobody knows what it does..?

Jack.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 11:27:21 AM »

Sometimes I cant let go Grin

Glucosamine (corrected spelling) is supposed to lubricate the joints (non smoking variety) and is a standard OTC supplement.

Carl
KM1H
ka3zlr
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »

Very Good Carl, as long as you feel Good and Healthy That's all that matters to me..

Jack.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »

Thanks for the ideas for lifting heavy stuff.  Sounds like I got to get back to lifting weights again and maybe get one of those belts movers wear and buy some heavy four wheel carts.  I priced those things new.  Jeez, one decent cart for a shop is 400 to 500 bucks. 

Rob K5UJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »

Find a surplus shop that cleans out belly up industrial outfits. Good used carts are $50-100 here.

Now. in my younger days we used to make 4 wheel V-8 engine carts from wayward supermarket carts, a bit of angle iron and welding. Grin

Carl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015