The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:27:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Dealers  (Read 16488 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: September 11, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »

Hello all,
I have noticed in the last couple of ER mags that there has been a few Hams selling equipment that was restored to almost new condition by Howard W3HM.
Would they be trying to "flip" their investments trying to make a buck?
The prices are usualy 5 figures.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »

I bet there are fewer hams willing to pay 5 figures
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »

Hi Fred,

Just a few logical guesses and thoughts on your query:

Perhaps they need the cash from the sale of the equipment for unexpected retirement and medical expenses, etc., or other potentially emergency needs.

Or perhaps they have simply tired of the equipment, and are looking to convert the $$$ from the sale into something else of more interest, even an item completely unrelated to amateur radio. 1967 big-block Corvettes are nice, and so are 1955 Porsche Speedsters, or 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing coupes. I'd personally rather have one of those than a Collins 30K transmitter, but that's just me.

Another alternative may also be cutting their losses on some of this collectible gear, in that the market value for a lot of it peaked a few years ago, and they clearly see this downward trend as probably continuing for the long-term. In other words, getting out while the getting is good.

And is anyone buying any of those W3HM-restored 5-figure rigs as advertised in ER? Is $15K the correct current price for a W3HM-restored Collins 30K? What I am really suggesting here is do they sell at that price after being on the market for a reasonable period of time? I personally have no idea.  My guess is that the Collins KW-1 is probably one of the relatively few rigs that have been largely untouched by the classic/collectible amateur radio equipment price deflation we have been witnessing for the last several years.

Just my thoughts.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

Price high $$ and you have room to negotiate;  price low $$ and you have no place to go.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »

Mostly for the profit.

Jack.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 07:44:59 PM »

That's unfair Jack. To think that anyone could Profit from selling a Mills restoration is, well, foolish. Howard's work is perfection and his price tag reflects the skill and effort he spends on each and every rig he works on. Only those willing to pay the price of admission can enjoy the fruits of Howard's skill and craftsmanship. I doubt anybody has "made a profit" from a W3HM restoration but if somebody did, good on them. To paraphrase Bruce's comments, if I had a restored 1955 Porsche Speedster (my dream car) in my garage and I need cash because the economy sucks I might need to sell it.

I have noticed I'm getting hits on some unobtainimum stuff on eBay that I have in my wish list. Times are not the greatest right now and expensive toy's are for sale. The price is up to you. Profit is not yours to ponder.

Mike
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »

I can't help but wonder if some people know things we don't.  For example, there are jobs whose salary was very good but have now disappeared and won't come back .  Some people are saying we are in for a double dip recession soon (probably but don't know how deep the bottom will be), and the jobs that will come along after the so called recovery won't pay the same amount the ones we lost did.

So maybe some of these guys are selling short??  That is my guess as to part of it.  And how many times have you heard those rigs on the air?  Maybe they don't use them and want the space for something else like the Porsche Speedster, which has a wider market and won't depreciate in their eyes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »

I just hope that the prices of "vintage" equipment don't fall to the point that the stuff once again starts going to the dump. Audiophoolery probably saved many unobtainium triode tubes and audio transformers from being trashed.  Maybe some of the tubes and other stuff saved from the landfill wil be selling for realistic instead of ridiculously inflated prices.

I'm thinking that maybe this whole "economic crisis" is nothing more than an inevitable re-adjustment to reality.  The general public has been every bit as guilty of spending beyond its means as the government has.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »

Yeah I saw the 30K1 was listed again this month and I was mildly surprised.  Expected some well heeled ham to jump on it.

Me, for that kind of dough I'd try to build something and save a few kilobucks.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »

I'm curious, what was the asking price on the 30K?

I got one those going down at Amateur Radio Center AKA "Ernie's" in downtown baltimore the mid 80's. Complete setup, the A1 receiver, the matching exciter for the 30 K, probably all a 9 on the collins scale. It was down in the basement of the store. The original owner was W3LUE. he used gold duro decals and put his call on the window. looked kool as all hell. When Ernie died the tale was that he willed the rig to a long time technician (Eddie) who worked there for 25+ years. the rumor was that it went over to Japan for a high 4 figure sum. it had some nasty PCB HV cap problems, some of the small stuff was fried, but nothing major.

used to ride my 62 merc up to the store and operate in the daytime on 40 meters, then ride down to the other end of town and go to work at Golden Age Radio fixing BCL sets.  Cool  life was pretty good.

I've had a major desire to revisit my old haunts for a long time but not driving puts a crimp in those plans.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

Derbmeister,
The ad from Orange County, NY  N2WXJ2Yahoo.com  (the 2 is an '@' sign ?)
$15k for
30K-1 & 310A exciter S/N 133
completely refurbished by Mills
845-323-1113 for info or pix.

Guess you really have to want one.
What with SDR and us'n's getting older, big gear like this you need a ROOM with overhead crane  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 08:13:05 PM »

but you know, thats like buying a brand new one. How much did that setup cost when it was made? with todays dollerette, how much are you paying for it now vs when it was new?

I used to rail against such stuff, but I dont feel that bad about it now. Life is short and the time clock is always running. You got to do what makes you happy while you can enjoy it. I wouldnt spend 15K on it, but if someone wants to, who am I to care?

new life experiences bring new perspectives.  Wink

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »

Yeah Tim,
Those were some pretty nice days in the early 90's and A.M. I remember the Christmas party at a store(?) and in the basement was this very large big powerful looking TX box. BIG! 
Radio drool that was what I saw and still remember your great deal for MOP radio and two virgin new 810's, for a modulator I had completed. Those tubes really perked that modulator up.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 06:25:22 PM »

I apologize for not getting back here sooner since I think I was the one who mentioned the 30K1 was listed a second month in ER. 

>What with SDR and us'n's getting older, big gear like this you need a ROOM with overhead crane

I was in a QSO a couple nights ago and we were talking about moving bc rigs into basements and I mentioned needing help from a friend to get the HT20 into my basement where I could work on it.  This is a rig that weighs more than most linear amps sold these days.  I managed to pull it up out of the car trunk, where I turned and lowered it onto a furniture dolly so I could roll it into my garage and just doing that I felt it in my back and abs.   When he and I schlepped it into the basement and got it up on a table my friend asked how much it weighed and I told him 100 lbs. and I was glad there were rack handles on the f.p.  So the QSO topic came up of how hams in the old days moved their gear around when damn near everything weighed at least 100 lbs.   Were they all in-shape muscle men back then?  How did a couch potato fat old ham in 1951 get a KW1 into and out of his shack?   Hire some high school kids?  That's a no-go these days.  Guess I need to start working out again.   What do you all do?  Have the truck back into the empty lot, set the rig down then build the house around it?  Grin  Rig up an overhead gantry in your shack? 

Rob K5UJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
ka3zlr
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »

Pieces.....alot went down my steps in Pieces ....SMALL Pieces....LOL....

Jack.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 01:43:24 AM »

I'll never have to worry about the $15K restored like new radio set. If I had that one, I'd be loathe to use it lest there be a problem and its value diminished. And what would happen if I scratched it? and so on. Owning perfect museum pieces is not for everyone.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »

When did profit become a 4 letter word in our society?

Those who point the finger at the profiteers are the first in line at the MegaBucks window.

Go figure!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 10:12:47 AM »

Further to your point Buddly, if someone one else wants to sell THEIR radio it's THEIR business not mine. This is true, regardless of the price.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »

The boyz got off track Rob Shocked

What do you all do?  Have the truck back into the empty lot, set the rig down then build the house around it?    Rig up an overhead gantry in your shack? 

When I picked up my 32V2 from '3HM some years ago, I just carried it out to the car ... well, rolled it on a wheeled stool that Howard used for sitting down while repairing.   Carried it up second floor in farmhouse, no sweat. Last move to WV in'95, the movers carried it to basement; I still move it arouind on benches.

But, have to admit,  when I worked on audio section last time, I just slid it out over bench and worked on it from 'underneath the front' just like a car lift.

The 813's rig was built in sections, the rack mounted on 4" dolly wheels.  Rolls around nicely, but I've never removed it from this room yet.....  going to be interesting if I want to take it off site, say to Dobbins Island  Grin

I guess we just help each other or enlist kids when they visit, etc.
-Stuff we never thought of when we were strappin' nerds. 

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »

Further to your point Buddly, if someone one else wants to sell THEIR radio it's THEIR business not mine. This is true, regardless of the price.

Even if they think it has zero value, as long as they don't throw it in the dumpster or lay it out kerbside (now abandoned property), then pitch a shit-fit and call the cops when they see me pulling it out of the dumpster or lifting it off the street and hauling it home.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »

Even if they think it has zero value, as long as they don't throw it in the dumpster or lay it out kerbside (now abandoned property), then pitch a shit-fit and call the cops when they see me pulling it out of the dumpster or lifting it off the street and hauling it home.

If I owned the dumpster, and you were crawling around inside and pulling things out, I  would call the police. In our town, you have to call for a "heavy trash" pickup and only put it out the night before. It can't sit at the curb for days or weeks. When they arrive, and if it's not there, they are not happy.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »

Now we can't be nosen around peoples dumpsters.. Cheesy...it's Funny to think alot of members here still do it,..after all these years in my 50's just like being Big kids...I Do...I'll look Neb an Snatch....LOL Grin

Jack.

K7NCR
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »

Now we can't be nosen around peoples dumpsters.. Cheesy...it's Funny to think alot of members here still do it,..after all these years in my 50's just like being Big kids...I Do...I'll look Neb an Snatch....LOL Grin

Jack.

Dumpster diving saved me mucho $$ on a new microwave, 1 dead one for free at a yard sale, only 2 years old, and a magnatron from a dumpster unit at the local drop place. Total cost: $0.00!!  Grin
Norm K7NCR
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 01:40:52 AM »

Don't underestimate trash scavenging..

I got my first TV set by riding my bike up and down the alleys and finding old TVs, then coming back with a wagon and dragging them home. I did that a few times and then just started carying tools and a box, and I'd get all the tubes and the transformers right there.. My first TV set was monochrome 21" and made up of at least three sets that were no relation to each other. It also eventually had a couple of switches that could be thrown to fire up an old public address amp and switch the yoke leads to the amp via a crosover network and also switch the chassis to a "spare" yoke so it would keep making high voltage. I would play ELP and Yes albums and watch the music and play with L and C values for the crossover to "optimize" the patterns. I was warned (by my elmer, Frank Miller W5PBN) that I should not leave a TV set electron beam undeflected on the CRT face as it could eventually drilll a hole in the glass. He didn't get upset when I deviously asked how long that would take.. In spite of his very conservative old-timer nature, and the fact he knew I was listening to "noise" instead of "music" while watching my "scope", he did not condemn these strange projects but rather gave me stern safety warnings and good circuit advice.

Mr. Miller gave me a photocopy of an article on building a 3" scope, seeing as I had built one from a TV set, albeit a crappy one. I was poring over it for so long, and trying to find the parts. After a few months, I had only a few of the parts, and no CRT at all, but I always had the article close at hand. My father took pity on me and for my birthday drove me to Nortex and let me pick out a refurbished scope. The cheapest was a choice between a 3" military portable and a 5" Dumont 304-A, both were $40. I chose the DuMont because it had more controls and seemed more versatile. To this day I still have it. $40 was alot of money in those days.

My second TV was a 21" round color set of mixed ancestry and my father was both amazed and horrified at the thing sitting there on a table in my room, CRT and metal bezel supported by wood brackets and every last high voltage point exposed and corona hissing.. 24KV I believe. I was given a choice to build a plywood cover for it or dismantle it.

But back to radio dealers, selling and buying, any willing seller and buyer - it is their biz. Will that Collins fetch $15K? Not while hams are the cheapest people alive.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka3zlr
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

I'm thinking my First Scope was a Heath I had a Eico early on too I can't remember which one was first prolly the Eico.

I'm Not much on SK chasers we have a couple around my area an as soon as somebody kicks the can they're knocking on the door.

I don't have a problem with Profit either or what somebody sells it's their biz, but SK chasers Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Jack.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015