The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:22:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G-50 picture  (Read 17022 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:35 PM »

Can't recall either of those amps Pete, only the ones with the little window and the 826 inside.

I've heard stories about Herman for years. A couple of the local guys are going to make sure we meet at Shelby next month, looking forward to it. Apparently not your typical collector who has one of everything, Herman has at least 5, or so the stories go. He's had a lot of gear in the CQ Classics calendars over the years, that's for sure.

I've known Herman for many years. Many of the pictures Joe shot for those calendars came from Herman's collection. I sold Herman at Dayton last year probably the only Squires Sanders UltraMonitor FM receiver to actually ever leave the factory. They only built a bunch of prototypes before killing the project. Besides Dayton, I've run into Herman at Shelby, Charlotte, and several hamfests in Maryland (Howard County, Gaithersburg, Timonium). He always stops by my tables to see what weird and/or unusual things I have for sale or to compare notes on the day's flea market table sights.

It would be great if he did a picture tour of his collection. I have no idea how big it actually is although I seem to remember him saying many years ago, he wanted to collect one of everything in amateur radio. That's a lot of stuff.
Here's Herman on the January 1998 cover of CQ.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »

Wowsers.....never saw that edition. One fellow mentioned an invitation to visit Herman while some project was going on with the house or garage and couldn't figure out why, then realized it was because a lot of stuff would be moved around, giving access to more of the collection. The tip I was given for identifying Herman at a hamfest was "he'll be the guy who appears out of nowhere to buy the interested piece of gear you just spotted one table over".

You can't help but admire a guy like that for shis enthusiasm and unwavering interest. Looking forward to meeting him.

And yes - you had some neat stuff at Dayton when we met, Pete. And other wonderful stuff from photos. Wonder if you'll make Shelby this year?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »

Wowsers.....never saw that edition. One fellow mentioned an invitation to visit Herman while some project was going on with the house or garage and couldn't figure out why, then realized it was because a lot of stuff would be moved around, giving access to more of the collection. The tip I was given for identifying Herman at a hamfest was "he'll be the guy who appears out of nowhere to buy the interested piece of gear you just spotted one table over".

You can't help but admire a guy like that for shis enthusiasm and unwavering interest. Looking forward to meeting him.

And yes - you had some neat stuff at Dayton when we met, Pete. And other wonderful stuff from photos. Wonder if you'll make Shelby this year?

Yep, he definitely has some great boatanchor radar at hamfests. Won't be heading to Shelby anytime soon. The only reason I was at Shelby a number of years ago at their old place was purely a "coincidence". I was still in the corporate world and we had a customer symposium at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville several days before Shelby. I had a factory I was dealing with in Charlotte so on Friday I took a short flight from Nashville to Charlotte and to help resolve some problems there. Stayed over till Sunday and on Saturday took a rented car for a drive over to Shelby. Lots of fun but it rained the night before, and off and on on Saturday, the place and the parking lot turned into a mud bowl. Wasn't a pleasant experience walking around.

Here's inside shot of the Gaylord Opryland. What a cool place!

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »

I just said best looking - I like chromy shine. Entirely subjective, ye know.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 05:23:56 PM »

Yep. This one is ready to boogie:

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »

nah. no pop up's. toaster ovens. but if ya gotta.....

* dualit.jpg (22.03 KB, 400x400 - viewed 320 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »

Which, like the Utica 650, looks fab in black as well...  Wink

* Toaster1.JPG (377.45 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 360 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015