The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:55:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice, tower  (Read 3490 times)
Burt
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »

I did get a call from XX towers and it would cost about $3000 to move my tower. I have had good things about them.
Am I better off trying to sell my tower and beam? Then getting another one?
What is it worth?

* IMG_1929.JPG (532.34 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 341 times.)

* IMG_1933.JPG (585.56 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 328 times.)

* IMG_1934.JPG (489.77 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 324 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 03:10:12 PM »

I didn't see any previous posts on this topic. Moving the tower, several feet, several miles ?? I you sell it, unless the house comes with it, it's got to be taken down and moved anyway. Is there something wrong with the tower that you want another one? Selling price of tower is probably dependent on what it is, age, overall condition (joints, welds, etc.), what it can handle as far as antennas.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »

You would need the price for the new tower and installation to do a comparison.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »

$1500 to take it down and $1500 to put it all back up - not too bad.

But considering the price of the specialized labor needed to safely take down that installation and what you will end up with, it is probably not a good way to go.   But some amateur may offer to take it down for free to have the tower and beam and get it outa your hair. There are many estate sales that end up this way. Heck, Arnold/W2HCW had an array of monoband Yagis on a 200' tower and the owners PAID to have it dropped and hauled away. 

Unfortunately a used crank-up tower with a trap tri-bander is not worth much these days, even disassembled on the ground.  If you're moving and depending upon your finances, I would opt to take down the tribander and tower with the help of friends, try to sell it for a G-note, or whatever you can get, and start over with a new system.  A crank up is a good idea - but you will do far better with a log periodic or some other non-trap beam.

BTW, back about 15 years when I felt lazy, I axed XX how much it wud cost to take down my 150' Rohn 45, and what the tower was worth. He said $1000 for removal and the tower was worthless.  I still have the tower up today and it still looks FB.

As we get older, we are at the mercy of our big antennna ideas and diminishing ability to climb ourselves, to put them into reality... Cry

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »

I had a 60' 3 section Triasto crank up that I sold 2-3 years ago. I got $1K for it and consider myself lucky. Then again, it was already down and only required loading. There have been a couple listed in the last 2 years repeatedly as 'free for removal' that didn't get any takers.

Last tri-bander I bought was a used A3 or A4 that had only been up a year or so. Think I paid $50 for it. Still have my old 45' EZ-Way crank up/tilt over tower with the Wonder Post siting on the hill behind my folks place in VT. Traded it off to a guy along the original 'KAQ ATB-34 tri-bander and my Drake 4 Line but he never came to get the tower. Simple to move since you just dig up the base and drop it into the next hole, and mount the tower back onto the hinge.

If you're looking to keep using something Burt, I'd strongly suggest you put a crew of fellow hams together and move it yourself. Crank ups are a cinch. Might cost you lunch or dinner and some beer, but replacement cost if you have to buy new will be steep. With more hams signing off each day, used examples should become more plentiful.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Burt
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »

I didn't see any previous posts on this topic. Moving the tower, several feet, several miles ?? I you sell it, unless the house comes with it, it's got to be taken down and moved anyway. Is there something wrong with the tower that you want another one? Selling price of tower is probably dependent on what it is, age, overall condition (joints, welds, etc.), what it can handle as far as antennas.

I am moving 25 miles. The tower binds when cranked but nothing else wrong.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:43:47 PM »

Say you cut two legs and let it fall to the ground would you save enough to buy a new tower after selling it for scrap. Or offer it free to anyone who would take it away. I would never own a beam with traps after owning a quad and LPDA.
Or how about cutting two legs and dropping it with a big come-along
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015