The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 08:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G-50 picture  (Read 17156 times)
KB3RRX
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:50:25 AM »

I didn't see a specific place for pics on the board and the gonset is both receiver and transmitter in one.
So i will post my picture here
I think everything is correct except the rx tx knob

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »

thats a super clean example.  Cool
KB3RRX
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »

thanks Derb it's my first am tube rig I hope i did good Smiley
not a scratch on it and it works great.
would like to find the right knob for the tx rx switch
found it at a local hamfest while I was lookin for a power supply for a pair of heathkit
single banders that take the hp-23 type supply
did i do ok at 100$ for it?

Wayne
KB3RRX
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »

thats not for me to say.  Wink

do YOU think it was good? if so, thats the real deal.

Money is temporary, it comes and goes. a year from now you wont miss the hundred bucks, but the rig will still be there waiting for you.

Just like the song says, if it makes you happy, it cant be that bad.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:09:43 AM »

Wayne,

Getting on AM with a vintage rig in good shape for $100 is a bargain. Don't look back. So use that rig, enjoy it, and over time develop an opinion concerning it's performance. If you are looking for a little more performance with this rig, just search this forum. Many folks have commented on the G-50.

I would consider looking at replacing the electrolytic capacitors (if original) and replacing the power cord with a new 3 wire cord. If you decide to keep the original capacitors in there, then don't leave this rig turned on when you are not around. If yours has a fuse, make sure it is the correct amperage. Many a vintage rig will burn out a power transformer as something drags down the B+ like a leaky capacitor.

I have a G-50, and I went whole hog with modulator modifications. Keep in mind that a stock G-50 works. I just wanted to achieve close to 100% modulation over a wide frequency response with low distortion. The following posts on AM-FONE shows my "somewhat butchered" G-50 with revised schematics and pictures. If you are interested, by all means download the text and pictures for future reference. I will likely be removing those pictures from the net before too long.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=18961.msg137324#msg137324

I look forward to 6m propagation where AM on 50.4 is commonplace here in central Texas. For now my G-50 is on the shelf. :-(

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:29 AM »

That's a nice little box, excellent symmetry. Haven't seen many of those, though one as clean as that sold at the Milton VT hamfest a few years back for around $200 without batting an eye.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »

That is a very pretty G-50 and you don't see many around looking that nice.  I think you got a fine deal on a neat looking rig.  I am located far enough from major population areas that I am dependent upon 6 being open for AM operation although I hope that once I get a better beam and the Johnson 6 and 2 Thunderbolt on line I will be able to work into a group that is about 100 miles away.

My G-50 looks pretty nice but my G-28 is cosmetically challenged due to some rust on the lower panel.  I am tempted to try repairing the rusted area by removing the rust and airbrushing some paint in but I am afraid my repair won't be much of an improvement over the existing look.  Most of the panel is OK so I don't want to do a complete repaint.  I know my limitations as far as cosmetic repairs go but the G-28 is hard to find and the price on this one was right so I just try to avoid looking at the lower part of the panel while operating it Smiley 

* communicators.JPG (1350.01 KB, 3436x910 - viewed 769 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:19:58 AM »

Wow Rodger, a G-28?   Those are rare.  I also have a G-50 that is in pretty good shape.  I was able to find some replacements for a couple of missing knobs and, except for a couple of small chips in the paint, it looks great.  I have tried to fire it up on 50.4 on a couple of occasions during band openings, but not much heard on AM.  Until fairly recently, there was a lot of 6 M AM activity here in Ft Wayne.  We used to have a nightly net on 50.58 MHz(since the 50's), but most of the participants have passed on.  It would be fun to try and revive that activity.  Still loads of old G-50s, Communicators, and a myriad of other 6 M AM rigs around.  The G-50s still bring a fairly good price, but other stuff is available very very cheap.  6 Meters has always been a fun band.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »

Jack,

I am afraid we are too far apart for 6 meters although your 75 meter AM signal is always strong on the Saturday morning net.  There is an active group in the quad cities which is around 90 air miles away and I was able to copy some of them using my Drake 6 meter converter/R4C but that was with a 2 element quad mounted close to the ground.  I hope a better antenna makes a big difference and I hope to have one up in early fall.

The G-28 took very little work to get it going and I have made several contacts with it but I am afraid it will never look as nice as the G-50.  I tried some panel repair on a Central Electronics 20A several years ago and given the results I have been gun shy of trying something like that again.  Another reason I love National is those engraved panels are so easy to refinish; I wish more companies had used that technique.

The little Gonsets are neat rigs and one of the memorable magazine covers (Radio and TV News) pictured a classic 50's picnic scene with mom setting out the lunch, the two kids playing, and dad happily smoking his pipe while operating his communicator 2.  Those most have been the days!

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
W9GT

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »

The little Gonsets are neat rigs and one of the memorable magazine covers (Radio and TV News) pictured a classic 50's picnic scene with mom setting out the lunch, the two kids playing, and dad happily smoking his pipe while operating his communicator 2.  Those most have been the days!

Rodger WQ9E
Hi Rodger,
Yes, I have also had several 6 M. Communicators over the years.  They were pretty expensive back in the 50's though.  They had their problems, as well.  Receivers were pretty broad and certainly mediocre in sensitivity, but the rigs were nice and compact for the day and much better than a lot of the hay-wired home brew rigs that many used.  Most people used communications receivers with converters and home brew xmtrs.  I first got on six in 1960, with such an arrangement.  Later got a Lafayette HE-45B xcvr with the matching VFO.  It left much to be desired by today's standards, but it was my first real mobile rig.  Had lots of fun on 6 AM, including monthly xmtr hunts that we had on 6M.  Those were the days! There was a tremendous amount of local interest in 6 AM here locally then.....before the advent of 2 M FM and repeaters.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »

Jack,

I think the HE-45B is a very classy looking 6 meter rig.

When I got my general in 1975 2 meter FM was taking off and it was enjoyable for trips; I still have my Regency HR-2B packed away somewhere.  There were some interesting rigs back then-one local was using an FM modulator with the old Heath AM/CW mobile while his more well-to-do brother bought one of the first Brimstone 144 synthesized rigs (from Satan electronics no less).  One of the AM radio pastors could sure do a sermon on that.

I recall driving through Chattanooga in 1979 during road construction and asking for directions on the local repeater; a local popped up and asked me to drive slowly until he caught up from a mile away and then he led me on a short cut through the construction zone.  Now cell phones, GPS, OnStar, etc. is taking the place and I think in most areas unless you are a "local" most stations will ignore your presence on 2 meter FM.  The only time I throw the 2 meter rig in the car or truck anymore is when I am heading to the eastern TN mountains; the locals on 2 there are still very friendly and fun to talk with while down there. 

After yesterday's heavy rain, instead of finishing up the RME-9D (just needs final alignment) I will be spending the afternoon on the tractor mowing 4.5 acres of fast growing grass.  If we didn't have friends coming in from out of town I would let the grass grow and play radio instead!  I just have to make sure I don't daydream about Gonsets and drive into the creek while mowing.

73, Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
AF9J
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »

Hi Wayne,

That's a nice looking G50!   Smiley   The last Gonset Communicaotr I saw (abot 3 years ago), didn't look half as good.  6m AM is fun, when the band's open. 

I'd like to get some 2m AM going around here, but the only 2m AM net nearby (about 30 miles south of the WI - IL state line) is very low level in nature (it's geared towards a local club).  I was told they just use verticals, instead of the traditional horizontal polarization, that AM, SSB, & CW use.  I'd probably be better able to hear them with my Yaesu FT-221R (it has AM), than they'd hear me.  But then again, maybe not, since the cross polarization losses from my horizontally polarized 2m log periodic wold be at least 25-30 dB.

Ellen - AF9J
KB3RRX
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »

Thanks for all the comments folks Smiley

I am eagerly awaiting my 6m beam that must first come down off my Friends tower before it can move to it's new home on mine.
And i fear the bug has bitten me good i am going on a trip this weekend to pick up a gonset 2m rig that needs put back together and got running again
not sure of model but it's mine for the effort of going to get it so soon my g-50 won't be so lonely. Grin

Wayne
KB3RRX
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »

This is the only Gonset kicking around here these days. Just happens to be a 6m model. The XYL claimed it for her Cold War collection due to the custom paint job and groovy stickers. Wink

The Cushcraft 617-6B used to be a nice yagi for 6, long boom and you could modify it for hot rod performance.

* Communicator2.JPG (388.64 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 570 times.)

WQ9E

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

Todd,

Do you have one of these to go with you CD model communicator?:  http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/dept_55.html

My wife gave me one as a humorous birthday gift a couple of years ago.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »

As a matter of fact Rodger - I still have my complete kit issued to me back during the Reagan era, complete with both the Victoreen and Lionel detectors and their straps, standard charger, 6 dosimeter pens, and the gun-type charger - all in the original box. Obviously a late kit as the pens were polished brass or gold alodined to dispense with the chipped yellow paint issues. Even found my Auxiliary State Police badge, Vermont's version of the Junior G-man badge. Needless to say, none of it is 'mine' anymore. She even scarfed up my CONELRAD rigs!  Shocked

Myself and the former State Radiological officer who also happened to be a ham used to visit radio clubs and other groups to discuss radiation and demonstrate the equipment. It was always amusing to see the looks on the smokers' faces when we passed a cigarette under the wand and the detector went off. The other good trick was to have a bunch of chocolate-chip cookies on an old orange Fiesta-ware platter which one of us would munch on during the talk and offer to others. The speaker would then wand the crumbs left on the platter, which would set off the detector, then wand the other guy's shirt in the area of his stomach, which would also set it off. About this time, folks who ate the cookies were getting nervous, so we had to explain that the glaze used for the orange Fiesta-ware dishes was 'hot' (which is why you don't see much of it around these days), and that the 'victim' actually had an old Coleman lantern mantle behind his tie, which also used to be made with a mild radioactive process.

Today we'd get sued by some bleeding heart group for having the gall to pull such a stunt. But back in the day, it sure made for cheap entertainment!  Grin

* CDkit1.JPG (391.46 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 491 times.)

* CDkit2.JPG (372.99 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 499 times.)

* CDsign.JPG (401.22 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 489 times.)

W9GT

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »

I have one of those geiger counters, as well.  Someone was selling them very cheap on eBay some time back and I got one as a curiosity.  The problem that I found was coming up with a radioactive source to test the thing.  Tried to use the meter scales on my R390A receiver, but didn't seem to work.

Todd, those are interesting things for the XYL to collect.  That cold war stuff is a curiosity, but unfortunately it was part of our reality while growing-up during the 50's and 60's.  I remember having frequent "air raid" drills at school and having to go out of the classroom into the hallways and hunker down and cover our heads....probably wouldn't have done us much good in the event of a nuclear attack!  I also remember that we were able to purchase dog tags for 25 cents and most of the kids wore them.  I also remember in the late 50's, having to have a Conelrad monitor in the ham station.  Most stations filled that requirement by just having an AM radio available, but the real monitors had an alert device like a light or a buzzer that would actuate when there was an alert.  Heathkit even made one...kinda rare now.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »

the coolest looking 6 meter rig evar : the utica 650 wit da chrome covers.

Aint got a thing if it aint got that bling.

* Utica_collection_023.jpg (168.1 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 623 times.)
WQ9E

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 12:29:32 PM »

Todd,

Neat story and thanks for sharing!  I remember the Coleman mantles having trace radioactivity but I didn't know about the Fiesta ware.  On the topic of radiation, when I was 6 the Denver Museum of Natural History had a case of radioactive ore and museum staff would turn off the light so you could see it glow.  When I took my daughter there last year that cool display was no longer was present.

It is better to have your wife covet your stuff instead of despise it!  The only thing Maureen has lifted from my collection so far is a coin operated hotel radio that came from her home state of N. Dakota.  Daughter Anna is another story with the most commonly heard phrase in the radio room, "can I have that one?"

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »

Money is temporary, it comes and goes. a year from now you wont miss the hundred bucks, but the rig will still be there waiting for you.

That's exactly why I would much rather trade for another piece of radio gear or for some non-radio item equally unobtainable on the "new" market, than to sell something for cash, even at going market price or more.

This is also why I am still kicking myself, years later on more than one occasion, for passing up some piece of "unobtainium" I really wanted, because the seller and I couldn't come to an agreement over a few lousy bucks that I wouldn't have missed, probably even a week later.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »

the coolest looking 6 meter rig evar : the utica 650 wit da chrome covers.

I had two over the years. Got rid of them both. Receiver and VFO drifted all over the place. You had to constantly diddle with room lighting or sit perfectly still (with minimal movement) so that the glare and reflections off the front panel or case wouldn't blind you. Made it difficult to see the dial and panel markings. Several Courier CB's also came with a chrome case. Very dumb physical design aesthetics.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:41 PM »

Yeah Derb! It's a great looking rig, though Pete is right - they do tend to dance around a bit. Shots below of the blackface version that certainly addressed and panel glare issues while accenting the chrome cases and polished aluminum knobs more. They also added a separate crystal socket for the VFO. This one has a bit of history behind it as it belonged to 'Big Al' K1JCL, well-known 6m AMer from CT who ran a 6m AM repeater. Got this from him back in the late 90s for the museum collection. Had it turned on for the shots and could hear the BFO wiggle with every step. Has a really cool red glowing pointed on the VFO though, which makes up for it a bit. Wink

Todd, those are interesting things for the XYL to collect.  That cold war stuff is a curiosity, but unfortunately it was part of our reality while growing-up during the 50's and 60's.  I remember having frequent "air raid" drills at school and having to go out of the classroom into the hallways and hunker down and cover our heads....probably wouldn't have done us much good in the event of a nuclear attack!  I also remember that we were able to purchase dog tags for 25 cents and most of the kids wore them.  I also remember in the late 50's, having to have a Conelrad monitor in the ham station.  Most stations filled that requirement by just having an AM radio available, but the real monitors had an alert device like a light or a buzzer that would actuate when there was an alert.  Heathkit even made one...kinda rare now.

I agree Jack, and I count my blessings every day for having a wife who is not only a wonderful person, but also interested in some of my old junk! She got her Masters in history before getting the one she uses now for education admin, modern history always being her primary interest. Specifically she is most interested in the Cuban Missile Crisis/Cold War era despite being born a decade late for the party. She knew all about CONELRAD and CD when we met, amateur radio being more of a mystery to her. I suppose the Cold War fascination for her is a lot like my interest in WWII and before: not having lived through it and all it represented then, it's more interesting and less frightening. I do still remember the 'air raid' tests of the local siren in my hometown and the chills that thing sent down my spine.

I remember the Coleman mantles having trace radioactivity but I didn't know about the Fiesta ware. 

It was a surprise to me too, Rodger. I can't remember the full story now, but something to do with uranium in the orange glaze, dishes being recalled, with a few still surviving to this day. Still have the platter, it's great fun at parties.

Here's a youtube video showing the effect. Imagine seeing this test performed on 'cookie crumbs' of cookies you just ate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJf-VpR7foM

* Utica650_1.JPG (399.46 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 563 times.)

* Utica650_2.JPG (376.66 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 527 times.)

* HeathkitCA1.JPG (333.58 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 492 times.)

W9GT

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »

The Heathkit Conelrad monitor is cool.  That's one thing that I don't have yet in my Heathkit "gray-line" collection.  I also need to find one of the VOX units, think they were in a similar looking cabinet.

As for the yellow Gonset "CD" Communicators.  I have seen several of them, but never owned one.  I guess they must have had a contract with the government to provide those for shelters and/or emergency operations centers.  I have also seen several Viking II CD models.....same vintage...probably a special contract to provide them.

Gonsets were always considered to be high quality VHF rigs.  They were more expensive than most of the other 6 M transceivers that were available in the 50s-60s time frame.  Ouite a few of them around...must have been many made.  From the old original Communcators with the gray hammertone finish to the newer white models that included the higher power G-50s and the amplifiers that had 826 tubes in them.  Neat rigs and still fun to own and operate.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »

I brought several Gonset Communicator III CD's to Dayton several years ago and Herman, N4CH, gobbled them up. Those amps with the 826's were real TV trash boxes. The better Gonset VHF amps would be the 903 and 913. Both run a single 4X150 and take minimal drive for full output.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 10:27:14 PM »

Can't recall either of those amps Pete, only the ones with the little window and the 826 inside.

I've heard stories about Herman for years. A couple of the local guys are going to make sure we meet at Shelby next month, looking forward to it. Apparently not your typical collector who has one of everything, Herman has at least 5, or so the stories go. He's had a lot of gear in the CQ Classics calendars over the years, that's for sure.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015