The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:48:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor/ Gate adjustment.  (Read 45447 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 12:16:51 AM »

Funny raps. They were doing that stuff back in the 70's, long before the so-called music rappers of recent years. What's old is new again.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 12:31:44 AM »

Funny raps. They were doing that stuff back in the 70's, long before the so-called music rappers of recent years. What's old is new again.

I like listening to that style rap.

This whole "I can kill you, your family, and everything around it, because I'm hard, and I've done more drugs than you.... All my homies are badder than you, foo" stuff has to go.

I mean, HOW many times do I have to hear what a bad ass you are, riding around in your Mother's Lexus while wearing your A & F 'gear'.

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »

Don.. I just heard you on 3885 in arizona. Nice audio.  30 DB over.  Could not come back as the king was set on 40 meters and I was listening on an ICom Pro.. 

Clark

Rumour has it that the Prime Minister has/had only "Basic" Qualification.  He always seemed technically knowledgeable enough to qualify for the "Advanced" Qualification, though.  Maybe this was before the code test was eliminated, which I think occurred before the US did it.

I haven't heard Miss Piggy on the air in a coon's age.
W1GFH
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »

http://www.circusmobile.com/waves/Prime_bump-it-down.wav

Man, that's a great rap!

"Look at that swing - Prime Minister's bumping that thang."

"And I put a choke chain on the mud ducks...."

"I put a 25K slug deep in the corner."

"And try to get me in-between keys and I'll bury your ass..."

(I think we might hear some of these riffs on the air soon)

T

Same guy. Very prolific. Very funny. He likes big butts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE3SkiYqlU&feature=related
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

http://www.circusmobile.com/waves/Prime_bump-it-down.wav

Man, that's a great rap!

"Look at that swing - Prime Minister's bumping that thang."

"And I put a choke chain on the mud ducks...."

"I put a 25K slug deep in the corner."

"And try to get me in-between keys and I'll bury your ass..."

(I think we might hear some of these riffs on the air soon)

T

Same guy. Very prolific. Very funny. He likes big butts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE3SkiYqlU&feature=related

The whole "big butts" thing was in response to covermodels of the late 80s and early 90s.....  And the way the "black posterior" was NOT getting it's ample "airtime", so to speak.

He is now the man behind the music, so to speak, in anything Microsoft.

--Shane
ka3zlr
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »

Yea,.. it's always been a thing on the Forum,,... Lack of Big Black Butts, Rapen it up.... Cool

Man what a rip....lol

Jack.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »

The whole "big butts" thing was in response to covermodels of the late 80s and early 90s.....  And the way the "black posterior" was NOT getting it's ample "airtime", so to speak.

WTF?  Isn't this the Technical forum?  For a moment I was thinking maybe I was in a state of confusion and had erroneously clicked on QRZ.com.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »

Just an update after using the Compressor limiter for a few days. I have a big increase in audio with out overmodulating or splattering. 

I have had very good comments on the air.  Most say my Audio is much louder and cleaner then my signal would normaly have. I am enjoying this.

Last night I listened on 3885 for a hour. Don and some guys where talking.  Don had 40 DB carrier but audio so low that it was hard copy. Some QRM but not much. The Tone is great.. But NO punch and NO clearity for DX. I am sure if he was in town it would have sounded nice and smooth. The other station had a 30DB carrier but could not copy any audio as the bass was so boosted on his signal so much.

A little later, A station with a Valiant and a D104 came on with less over all signal but CLEAR audio in the speech pass band so I could hear every word he said even when he faded down in the noise.  Remarkable.

This means alot to me because when a 150 watt station running 10DB to 20DB over is twice as inteligable over stations with 30 to 40DB over I wonder what the point of the big stations are?  Rag chewing with a focus on Great Wide band audio? OR Communications over DX.  I am starting to realize that alot of these mods and lack of COmpression, and or Speech passband limiting is probably a big negative for any kind of dx. 

Thoughts?

Has anyone had this experience? 
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »

Spent ALL day fixing the Mic preamp stage Steve.  Your post bugged me.. so I set aside the day to fix it.  I found a cathode resistor that was supposed to be 2.2 that measured 500K. I replaced it. I found a short on the Grid pin to ground. I also found the Suppressor grid was hot hooked up correctly.. Due to me not following instructions. I found my mistake and fixed it.

Now, the D104 works and sounds well.. Like a D104.  I can get 80% mod out before the 6Sj7 starts distorting. Typical GK500 fashion..  I need more gain to go higher.  But, Its fixed, I can run the D104 now. Or, I can run the outboard audio and run 100%.

Clark

Then why not fix that mic preamp stage and save all the hassle?    Cheesy

That's good info to know about the mic amp stage. Wonder why World Radio messed up on that one? I would have guess the driver stage first. I just bypassed all the internal audio stages on my Globe Champ and went straight to the grids of the modulators. But that was because I was lazy.  Wink

Any king owners should consider this route. That first Preamp tube is pissweak and will never run the ring up to its potential.

This setup is just for the globe king.  I run a hand mic on the Icom pro or deck mic on the 1000d for the limited amount of SSB. 

I run a D104 on the Globe Champion.  Nice and simple and probably sounds better or as good as the outboard audio Globe king.. LOL

If I ever redo the room, I will set this gear up in the middle and run cables out to each radio. It would really clear out the clutter.. I have about 8 microphones setup here.. LOL

Clark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2009, 09:50:25 PM »

Cool. Now you have the best of both worlds. Just don't squeeze the D-104 too hard.   Wink

Spent ALL day fixing the Mic preamp stage Steve.  Your post bugged me.. so I set aside the day to fix it.  I found a cathode resistor that was supposed to be 2.2 that measured 500K. I replaced it. I found a short on the Grid pin to ground. I also found the Suppressor grid was hot hooked up correctly.. Due to me not following instructions. I found my mistake and fixed it.

Now, the D104 works and sounds well.. Like a D104.  I can get 80% mod out before the 6Sj7 starts distorting. Typical GK500 fashion..  I need more gain to go higher.  But, Its fixed, I can run the D104 now. Or, I can run the outboard audio and run 100%.

Clark

Then why not fix that mic preamp stage and save all the hassle?    Cheesy

That's good info to know about the mic amp stage. Wonder why World Radio messed up on that one? I would have guess the driver stage first. I just bypassed all the internal audio stages on my Globe Champ and went straight to the grids of the modulators. But that was because I was lazy.  Wink

Any king owners should consider this route. That first Preamp tube is pissweak and will never run the ring up to its potential.

This setup is just for the globe king.  I run a hand mic on the Icom pro or deck mic on the 1000d for the limited amount of SSB. 

I run a D104 on the Globe Champion.  Nice and simple and probably sounds better or as good as the outboard audio Globe king.. LOL

If I ever redo the room, I will set this gear up in the middle and run cables out to each radio. It would really clear out the clutter.. I have about 8 microphones setup here.. LOL

Clark
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »

Steve.. Found that If I run a Powered D104, I can run the king down at 2 on the mic gain control. Then run the D104 preamp up a bit. The result is clear D104 sound with 100% mod.  Why this radio wont modulate a non powered D104 to full out is something I dont know.

Clark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »

I never like the 6SJ7 mic amps. Two stages of a 12AX7 alway seems to work better. That pentode should have a lot of gain, but I guess it doesn't have enough.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »

Yeah... Not enough..  But when you put the powered D104 in, You have plenty.  Just spent an hour talking on 7293AM. right at 100% audio. Great reports.  Nice D104 sound.  I wonder if there is another tube that would drop in with more gain?

Clark
ka3zlr
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

Steve.. Found that If I run a Powered D104, I can run the king down at 2 on the mic gain control. Then run the D104 preamp up a bit. The result is clear D104 sound with 100% mod.  Why this radio wont modulate a non powered D104 to full out is something I dont know.

Clark

Hello,

Speaking for the D104's non-amplified have you tried different heads on the unamplified stand. Not all heads are equal...and those elements can be tuned by simply changing the type of gluing arrangement whether plastic rubber or synthetic was used on the crystal element..it's fun to experiment on the heads to see the responses change..

On Older Heads the glue breaks loose at points output drops tone changes etc. need to get better involved with your D104's there's alot to learn about them and it's fun .....

Jack.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »

I tried 7 different D104 heads.  New and old.  I agree. That they all have a different sound. The one I selected has the most midrange and bass. 

Clark
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2009, 10:43:48 PM »

Speaking for the D104's non-amplified have you tried different heads on the unamplified stand. Not all heads are equal...and those elements can be tuned by simply changing the type of gluing arrangement whether plastic rubber or synthetic was used on the crystal element..it's fun to experiment on the heads to see the responses change..

On Older Heads the glue breaks loose at points output drops tone changes etc. need to get better involved with your D104's there's alot to learn about them and it's fun .....

I have a couple of "vintage" heads, that are a full 1" thick instead of the more common 13/16".  I can swear the thicker heads have better sounding bass than the thin ones, using otherwise identical elements and mounting hardware.

But I'm not sure how much I am being fooled by the placebo effect, the same effect that makes "hospital grade" power cords, wooden volume control knobs and "broken in" speaker cables improve the quality of sound from home stereo systems.

I use pieces of adhesive foam insulation strips to mount my D-104 crystal elements.  It looks to be about the same stuff as what the factory used originally.  I am afraid that hearing discernible differences between types of glue used for adhesive between the foam pads and the bakelite case of the crystal microphone element may be veering dangerously close to the realm of audiophoolery.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »

I was worried about the sound from my D104 so I Stapled Acoustic Foam all over the walls, Ceiling, Floor and tables.  Then I suspended the Globe king, reciever and tuner from the ceiling with Bungee cords.  Finaly, I hung myself from the ceiling with a harness.  This way, There can be no resonance anywhere in the room.

Seriously though.. Good point don.  Its is interesting on how the elements have a distict sound.

Clark
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2009, 10:10:41 PM »

" Finaly, I hung myself from the ceiling with a harness."

Oxygen free harness???

klc

What? Me worry?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »

More modifications.. I deciede the Spring coil that held my harness up was imparting some resonance in the 2.25k range.  After 8 hours with a real time analyzer, we got the room flat!

Clark
ka3zlr
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »

I have a couple of "vintage" heads, that are a full 1" thick instead of the more common 13/16".  I can swear the thicker heads have better sounding bass than the thin ones, using otherwise identical elements and mounting hardware.

But I'm not sure how much I am being fooled by the placebo effect, the same effect that makes "hospital grade" power cords, wooden volume control knobs and "broken in" speaker cables improve the quality of sound from home stereo systems.

I use pieces of adhesive foam insulation strips to mount my D-104 crystal elements.  It looks to be about the same stuff as what the factory used originally.  I am afraid that hearing discernible differences between types of glue used for adhesive between the foam pads and the bakelite case of the crystal microphone element may be veering dangerously close to the realm of audiophoolery.

No, I mentioned nothing about the foam pads Don, I am referring to the different glues that were used in different periods of time with the D104 on the metallic surfaces.

Jack.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:47 AM »

The very early elements must have been screw mounted instead of using the foam pads.  My old 1" thick heads each have a big screw centrally located right in the middle of the rear plate.  The only thing attached to the screw inside the head is a nut holding the screw in place.  I suspect the original design used that screw to secure the element, and when the element was replaced with one of the later design with the foam pads, a nut was attached to maintain the screw in place and fill the unused hole.

The two smaller screws under the big one hold the bracket that secures the mic cord.  The early D-104's had no plug at the bottom of the head.  The cord was permanently attached internally.

* D-104 front view.JPG (1144.75 KB, 2576x1716 - viewed 455 times.)

* D-104 rear view.JPG (1145.82 KB, 2576x1716 - viewed 459 times.)

- - -
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015