The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:20:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor/ Gate adjustment.  (Read 45874 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »

Thanks to everyone and to Ted.

I just wanted a simple Compressor limiter. It appears I purchased the wrong unit. I am going to return it today and by the unit that has the adjustable limiter.  Then I can set a hard limit.  I dont like pushing the old King 500 to hard. The mod iron is known to fail.

Thanks for all the tips on the adjustment procedure!  I got a great report last night from some guys that know audio. So the compressor is helping. The gate is nice as nobody can hear the fans running in the room.

Shane, Thanks for the link. I will play around with that software!

Clark
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

Shane,

First of all I didn't Know The Flex Rigs are able to operate on Chicken Band...LOL....that's a piece of news to me.  

And this Direct Injection System.,,? that's feeding the Balanced Modulator Directly right, as I understand it I don't do it so I'm just working on a wim here. There are some benefits to that, ESSB..

Jack.
[/quote]

We started out using Kenwood radios, and feeding the BM directly.  Then we discovered it was MUCH cheaper to use a single pass transistor, a audio amp IC and modulate the final / driver of a 4 watt type radio.  At that point, HiFi became a reality, for about 80 dollars, complete.  3 total transistors, a 39 dollar radio, and an audio amp IC.  Add about 6 caps, a variable resistor, 2 diodes and you're about done.

The system I did up used a CB radio chassis, the 148.  It feeds the audio chain directly, into the BM for SSB hifi use (although you get a LOT better tonal quality, it is NOT HiFi, as the TX chain goes through a xtal filter on XMIT and RX) and directly into the audio amp for AM.  It is a high level transmitter (albeit at the 16 watt PEP level, it modulates the driver and final directly in one guys, mine runs the final in Class AB at full voltage, while the driver is modulated.  Mo PEP power this way).

You can't do SSB RX HiFi with that radio, since it's using a xtal filter on ssb as well, but the AM filtering is pretty wide...  Tapping the volume control will produce a LOT better rx, and if you tap the center detent, it's line level.

That's about it....  I'll answer anything else, but probably better off list, as this isn't a CB reflector.  It IS nice to be able to play with HiFi on 10, though, with nothing more than a 70 dollar EBay special Cobra, though Smiley  I can't wait for HiFi 10 meter playing... C'MON SUNSPOTS!!!!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »

If you'd like to hear a decent system, on 27.025 there is a gentleman called Prime Minister. 

That explains why we haven't heard Dale on 75m in a while - he's moved up the bands!   Grin

I'm not sure who Dale is.... BUT, here is a semi list of stations here on the west coast you can listen for.

Prime Minister (Mostly FLEX driven, with a 60 inch display!!, but also has every Johnson made)
Doc Adams (Johnson's and Barker N Williamson Xmitters, Collins rarely used)
Radio Station West Side (tube homebrew transmitter)
Radio Station MotorMouth Maul (His Homebrew modulator into a solid state Cobra 148)
1-800 Toll Free (My homebrew Modulator with Cobra 148)
GhettoWay Driver (My Homebrew Modulator with a Cobra 148)

Small list, for those on the east coast.  Doc Adams, Prime Minister and MotorMouth are all running ProTOOLS.  1-800 runs Adobe Audition or Reaper, Ghettoway Driver is using Reaper.   There is a MULTITUDE of others, but by listening to these guys, you can actually hear the differences in the computer software..  They are MINUTE, but there, even when you have Ghettoway Driver and 1-800 using the SAME plugin software (Izotope), but different "processing" software itself.  And every one here but the Flex driven station is running high level mod. 

On the West side, listen for 2112 in Georgia, he's running a Flex system, as well, with Reaper.  Most of the other guys over on that side of the US are using ProTOOLS, so 2112 can give you the biggest difference in software sound.

All these guys run tubes with handles, so QRM/N would not be a big problem Smiley

--Shane
W1GFH
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »

LMAO!!  Grin Grin Grin

http://www.circusmobile.com/waves/Prime_bump-it-down.wav

Very funny stuff!

Quote from: KD6VXI
If you'd like to hear a decent system, on 27.025 there is a gentleman called Prime Minister.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »

Look up his song about the Johnson Vikings.. 

Clark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »

If their audio is clear enough to understand what they are saying, they are not real CBers!   Wink  What's this world coming to.

That explains why we haven't heard Dale on 75m in a while - he's moved up the bands!   Grin

I'm not sure who Dale is.... BUT, here is a semi list of stations here on the west coast you can listen for.

Prime Minister (Mostly FLEX driven, with a 60 inch display!!, but also has every Johnson made)
Doc Adams (Johnson's and Barker N Williamson Xmitters, Collins rarely used)
Radio Station West Side (tube homebrew transmitter)
Radio Station MotorMouth Maul (His Homebrew modulator into a solid state Cobra 148)
1-800 Toll Free (My homebrew Modulator with Cobra 148)
GhettoWay Driver (My Homebrew Modulator with a Cobra 148)

Small list, for those on the east coast.  Doc Adams, Prime Minister and MotorMouth are all running ProTOOLS.  1-800 runs Adobe Audition or Reaper, Ghettoway Driver is using Reaper.   There is a MULTITUDE of others, but by listening to these guys, you can actually hear the differences in the computer software..  They are MINUTE, but there, even when you have Ghettoway Driver and 1-800 using the SAME plugin software (Izotope), but different "processing" software itself.  And every one here but the Flex driven station is running high level mod. 

On the West side, listen for 2112 in Georgia, he's running a Flex system, as well, with Reaper.  Most of the other guys over on that side of the US are using ProTOOLS, so 2112 can give you the biggest difference in software sound.

All these guys run tubes with handles, so QRM/N would not be a big problem Smiley

--Shane

ka3zlr
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »

Well seemingly there's quite a bit of use of Computer Audio Software, and to me that would be somewhat more cheaper than buying up these audio processors, much more ease of use, more choices on Audio Processing, an Less cabling issues, I could be wrong.

Jack.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »

Dale is/was a VE3 station who identified himself as the Prime Minister and had access to a lot of big iron. He actually ran a business for a while dealing in old BC transmitters and the like, but the prices tended to be outta this world, getting an email response was unheard of, and he eventually went out of business and disappeared. Last time I heard him was a year or two back, pissweak on 75m one night, getting laughed at by the guys on the air because he was running a 706 mobile as his primary (and only) station.

He and Irb were inseparable.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »

LMAO!!  Grin Grin Grin

Very funny stuff!

Quote from: KD6VXI

That's the first tape.  Circa 1999, released at a big break in Arkansas.

Since then, he's also released "Great Big Johnson"...  "Cuz a woman loves a man with a great big Johnson", "I need an 18 wheeler to haul this great big ol johnson...  Armed and Dangerous Gettin on down" (running a valiant in his 18 wheeler into a 16 transistor amplifier), etc.  He released another song in between, "Ain't no 'Scuses on the SuperBowl", lastly followed by "The Hammah Hits Hard".  The last two songs where released to help recover the costs of nationwide breaks the 'cb club' he belongs to administers...

--Shane
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »

Dale is/was a VE3 station who identified himself as the Prime Minister and had access to a lot of big iron. He actually ran a business for a while dealing in old BC transmitters and the like, but the prices tended to be outta this world, getting an email response was unheard of, and he eventually went out of business and disappeared. Last time I heard him was a year or two back, pissweak on 75m one night, getting laughed at by the guys on the air because he was running a 706 mobile as his primary (and only) station.

He and Irb were inseparable.  Grin

AHHHH

I know exactly who that >>clown<< is.

I have one of a pair of Harris RF-103's he sold to, actually, the guy Ghettoway Driver, mentioned above.

Both where supposedly 100 percent working when they left, as advertised.

When the new owner in San Diego got his amplifiers, one didn't even have a tube and chimney in it.  He ran it for about 2 months, and one of the diode stacks in it blew (K2AW style).  He called me up and gave it to me..  I couldn't make the trip to San Diego fast enough!

Prime Minister on CB is NOT named Dale...  I know him personally....  Funny, though, Prime Minister ALSO runs an equipment company Smiley

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »

I got the 166Xl from DBX. This has an adjustable hard or soft peak limiter, expander/gate and compressor. It is a much nicer unit than the 266.  

Now, have the King set exactly at 100% and no matter what I do with gain or even screaming into the mic, I cant go over 100%. I actualy backed it down a bit more to go easy on the old girl.

I have about 6DB of compression set it with a peak of 10DB.  I can drive the input up and my voice rides the soft peak limiter. No sign of distortion but I am now very loud on the air. The difference is amazing really. My RMS Bird meter is going forward when I talk slightly.

Talk power and a wide full sound is what I gained.  Finally.. A Globe king with AUDIO.

Any king owners should consider this route. That first Preamp tube is pissweak and will never run the ring up to its potential.

Thanks to all that have helped me!

Clark
ka3zlr
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »

I Actually Like the DBX 286A
http://www.dbxpro.com/286A/286A.php

and it has RF Proofing built in nice little plus there.

Jack.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »

Rumour has it that the Prime Minister has/had only "Basic" Qualification.  He always seemed technically knowledgeable enough to qualify for the "Advanced" Qualification, though.  Maybe this was before the code test was eliminated, which I think occurred before the US did it.

I haven't heard Miss Piggy on the air in a coon's age.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

I did not care for that one jack.. It has no adjustable Peak limiter. 

I have learned something very important today.  You should start with NO EQ settings into the compressor/limiter.  Then set the amount of compression you want.. Then set the output and peak limter.  After this you should use the EQ to CUT freqs you dont want rather then BOOST freqs you want.  Otherwise, the boosted freq might activate the compressor way before other freqs in the range.

ONce my EQ was flat, I got a tremendous about of talk power while staying under 100% peak mod. 

Clark
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »

I did not care for that one jack.. It has no adjustable Peak limiter. 

I have learned something very important today.  You should start with NO EQ settings into the compressor/limiter.  Then set the amount of compression you want.. Then set the output and peak limter.  After this you should use the EQ to CUT freqs you dont want rather then BOOST freqs you want.  Otherwise, the boosted freq might activate the compressor way before other freqs in the range.

ONce my EQ was flat, I got a tremendous about of talk power while staying under 100% peak mod. 

Clark

And then give yourself a 3 or so dB bump from 1 to 3.5 kC for slopbucket.  Simple to make that adjustment, and will be about the same as going to the Heil DX HC element.

You're right, start with the EQ VERY limited.  With processing, until you learn what EACH control will do to the overall tonal quality of your TX signal, LESS IS BETTER!  After you get the hang of them, then you can REALLY get that sound quality you want.

--Shane

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »

This setup is just for the globe king.  I run a hand mic on the Icom pro or deck mic on the 1000d for the limited amount of SSB. 

I run a D104 on the Globe Champion.  Nice and simple and probably sounds better or as good as the outboard audio Globe king.. LOL

If I ever redo the room, I will set this gear up in the middle and run cables out to each radio. It would really clear out the clutter.. I have about 8 microphones setup here.. LOL

Clark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »

Then why not fix that mic preamp stage and save all the hassle?    Cheesy

That's good info to know about the mic amp stage. Wonder why World Radio messed up on that one? I would have guess the driver stage first. I just bypassed all the internal audio stages on my Globe Champ and went straight to the grids of the modulators. But that was because I was lazy.  Wink

Any king owners should consider this route. That first Preamp tube is pissweak and will never run the ring up to its potential.

This setup is just for the globe king.  I run a hand mic on the Icom pro or deck mic on the 1000d for the limited amount of SSB. 

I run a D104 on the Globe Champion.  Nice and simple and probably sounds better or as good as the outboard audio Globe king.. LOL

If I ever redo the room, I will set this gear up in the middle and run cables out to each radio. It would really clear out the clutter.. I have about 8 microphones setup here.. LOL

Clark
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »

Rumour has it that the Prime Minister has/had only "Basic" Qualification. 

No rumor involved Don, all true from what the guys up north of the border tell. IIRC, he upgraded later when requirements changed, but disappeared in recent years. Last time I heard him on, he was using a 706 in his car, was pissweak, and said something about going back to nature. Maybe Tim the flying squirrel will chime in with better info.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »

Rumour has it that the Prime Minister has/had only "Basic" Qualification. 

No rumor involved Don, all true from what the guys up north of the border tell. IIRC, he upgraded later when requirements changed, but disappeared in recent years. Last time I heard him on, he was using a 706 in his car, was pissweak, and said something about going back to nature. Maybe Tim the flying squirrel will chime in with better info.

If it's the person that sold this pair of Harris amplifiers, then yeah, he only had a basic qualification license.

He disappeared, actually, pretty much right after these amplifiers where shipped.  When they arrived, one missing a tube, chimney, plate cap, and a couple other things, he tried to call "Minister"...

No answer.  The call that ordered these amps was the last time my friend was able to get ahold of anyone at that number.

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »

And I will steve.. But for right now, This is my Big radio.. LOL.   When the big transmitter is done, I will move the audio gear to that rig and I can figure out a tube replacement for the Kings preamp. SOME modulators had TWO second tubes.. Mine has ONE.  So maybe the saw this and fixed it..But currently if you use that first tube, The audio is weak at best.

Clark

That's good info to know about the mic amp stage. Wonder why World Radio messed up on that one? I would have guess the driver stage first. I just bypassed all the internal audio stages on my Globe Champ and went straight to the grids of the modulators. But that was because I was lazy.  Wink

Clark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 09:32:01 PM »

I hear ya. Once you have something working, you wanna use it.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »

Interesting about the mic preamp stage.  I would have  guessed it to be due to the modulator.  They run 1800 volts on the 4-250 (or is it 4-400?), but only about 1000 volts on the modulator stage.  The mod xfmr has a step-down ratio of about 1.2:1.  So, in the best of all worlds, it would be a wonder to get 100% modulation out of the thing.

My suggestion would be to beef up the modulator power supply voltage and perhaps replace the 811A's with 572B's, along with a better audio driver stage - maybe a pair of 6B4's or 2A3's, or as Derb said, a quad of 12B4A's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »

Man, that's a great rap!

"Look at that swing - Prime Minister's bumping that thang."

"And I put a choke chain on the duck pluckers...."

"I put a 25K slug deep in the corner."

"And try to get me in-between keys and I'll bury your ass..."

(I think we might hear some of these riffs on the air soon)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 10:33:08 PM »

Its a 4-400.  Mine runs about 2000 volts. Solid state diodes, 14MF worth of cap.
My mod deck has 10MF of cap and 1550 volts. Preamp stages are running 450 volts or so. 

I get 125% mod out easy.

The trouble Don is the FIRST preamp tube.   If I use it, I get 80% max and crapy peaky audio.  Here is the schematic.

Clark

Interesting about the mic preamp stage.  I would have  guessed it to be due to the modulator.  They run 1800 volts on the 4-250 (or is it 4-400?), but only about 1000 volts on the modulator stage.  The mod xfmr has a step-down ratio of about 1.2:1.  So, in the best of all worlds, it would be a wonder to get 100% modulation out of the thing.

My suggestion would be to beef up the modulator power supply voltage and perhaps replace the 811A's with 572B's, along with a better audio driver stage - maybe a pair of 6B4's or 2A3's, or as Derb said, a quad of 12B4A's.

* Globe kong 500 001.jpg (239.25 KB, 1755x1275 - viewed 635 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »

Man, that's a great rap!

"Look at that swing - Prime Minister's bumping that thang."

"And I put a choke chain on the mud ducks...."

"I put a 25K slug deep in the corner."

"And try to get me in-between keys and I'll bury your ass..."

(I think we might hear some of these riffs on the air soon)

T

Jussa buncha dum CBers Smiley

Keep listening...  On one of the tapes, you hear Mr.  Toll_Free on the "watergate".

"Cuz when I put this maul down, around your Seattle Town, Minister, Can't NOBODY else get down.......  And yo Toll_Free Hi Fidelity Injected Modulation Base station down around these killin fields got down".

Small tubes that day, but it's there, on the last tape.

Blah blah blah... My claim to fame, making it on a rap tape about CBers, because I ran clean audio and a tube with some handles on it.  Smiley

--Shane
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015