The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:28:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crown Vic Police Interceptor?  (Read 41212 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: June 07, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »

I'm looking at a 2000 ex-Colorado State Patrol Crown Vic for my son.

On an earlier thread here, it seemed that several of youse are happy Crown Vic owners...Any comments, pro or con, on the cop version?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »

Does he plan to stick a couple dozen mag-mount antennas all over the roof and trunk, and wear an orange vest while driving it?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »

No, my son is more or a Blues Brothers-Timtron type...Looking forward to freaking out his friends by pulling up at their homes in a police car.

His insurance is going to be affordable, too, compared to a Rice Rocket.

Interestingly, one of the options this cop Crown Vic has is a knife guard in the front seat backs..A sheet of steel in there. The driver can can lock all the doors and windows. Limited slip real axle, a calibrated 140 MPH speedo. Beefier transmission.Oil cooler..This one has a built-in roll bar. Big alternator and battery.

Eat your heart out, Volvo.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:01:25 PM »

I wouldn't even get in one of those turkey's. It's got to be one of the most dangerous cars on the road.
Check this link on some history:
http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:03:29 PM »

Very much pro.  Only problem I've had (184K mi, bought it with 45K) is the coils - I've replaced 6 of the 8.  A fan relay went out.  A headlight wire chafed against the frame and shorted intermittently.   And a wire that someone had spliced previously went intermittent.  That's it, and the last set of tires lasted 130K mi!   You can get the coils on eBay for pretty cheap - $40 or so each.  NAPA gets about $120 IIRC each.

A buddy (N9MC) has bought two ex-Colorado Crown Vic P71s and he's very pleased with 'em.

You'll get pretty much the same gas mileage as the stock CV.  Difference is that the P71 has an oil cooler, heavier duty this-n-that, conduit for running cables to the trunk, and a puke-in-it-and-hose-it-out interior.

The one thing I don't like about it is the seats, compared to my Suburban, or the Sebring my wife used to have.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »

I wouldn't even get in one of those turkey's. It's got to be one of the most dangerous cars on the road.

LOL  that's pretty funny...

From wkipedia

The reports that the cars were more prone to fires during a rear collision was a simple combination of four things. First, most law enforcement agencies rely heavily on the Crown Victoria as their primary vehicle, meaning that any police-related auto accident is very likely to involve a Crown Victoria. Second, the accidents occurred as the result of the officers intentionally parking their vehicles close to active traffic to shield a stopped motorist - something most civilians would never do. Third, the impacting vehicle was often traveling at, or above, the posted legal limit (70-75 mph in most jurisdictions).

The condition was exacerbated by police equipment installers drilling over the package tray in the luggage compartment. Due to the gas tank's orientation, drilling through the package tray may result in drilling into the gas tank. Installers also used screws set directly into the bulkhead and facing the fuel tank. In the event of a high-energy collision, these screws could be forced into the tank, both rupturing the tank and possibly acting as a spark source. Long bolts for mounting heavier equipment were also directly suspect. The manufacturer provided an aftermarket shield to help prevent these items from puncturing the tank during impact. Further, many investigations, both performed by federal/state agencies, and the police department themselves, have found that removable items in the trunk were improperly stowed. These items became tank-piercing projectiles during the rear-collision scenarios. Ford's second solution came in the form of a recall kit including patterns to mark unsafe areas (to drill) in the luggage compartment.
<snip>

Despite numerous court cases charging Ford with partial liability for fires caused in accidents, the company has never been found liable in a Crown Victoria accident.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »

This is even funnier:
From wkipedia

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 11:30:34 PM »

This is even funnier:
From wkipedia

Roll Eyes

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:35:35 AM »

I wouldn't even get in one of those turkey's.

I bet you would have no problem if it were an ARRL staff car.
AMroo
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 02:24:27 AM »

One trend I have found when buying many things from cars to Radio gear.

If you do research on the net- take into account that those who already won one will do any thing to defend it,
it's normal to try to justify a choice to yourself and others even if it was a totally bad one.

The worst offenders are the forums for a particular such item, were people with that particular item group together.
Ask them it's all good they never tell you the bad.

I find a good one is do do a search on - "product" problems - then you stand a chance of picking up the issues.
WZ1M

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 04:10:19 AM »

FORD, They will nickle dime you to death.........................
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:05:18 AM »

One trend I have found when buying many things from cars to Radio gear.

If you do research on the net- take into account that those who already won one will do any thing to defend it,
it's normal to try to justify a choice to yourself and others even if it was a totally bad one.

The worst offenders are the forums for a particular such item, were people with that particular item group together.
Ask them it's all good they never tell you the bad.

I find a good one is do do a search on - "product" problems - then you stand a chance of picking up the issues.

Not sure what your point is - I told all the bad there is to tell about mine.  Seeing as they made a bazillion of these things I'm sure others have had worse - and better - experiences than I.  If you compare two of the websites devoted to exposing vehicle problems (apparently run by the same people), Camry has "369 problems" vs Crown Vic "67 problems" (whatever that means).

The converse of your point is true as well - that being those dissatisfied for one reason or another band together and can't say a good word at all about the product.

W1GFH
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »

No, my son is more or a Blues Brothers-Timtron type...Looking forward to freaking out his friends by pulling up at their homes in a police car.

(Elwood Blues floors the pedal and jumps over an open drawbridge)

Jake: Car's got a lot of pickup.

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

- The Blues Brothers, 1980
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »

Round here the taxi companies eat them up. Trouble is the front set in this  taxi was fixed and you had about 8 inches of foot room in the back seat. Guess they build them that way so unruly people in the back would have less leg room to get into trouble with.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »

Elwood said, (via W1GFH):
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Jake: Fix the lighter!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2ZE
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »

I read it on the internet, it must be true.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »

Very much pro.  Only problem I've had (184K mi, bought it with 45K) is the coils - I've replaced 6 of the 8.  A fan relay went out.  A headlight wire chafed against the frame and shorted intermittently.   And a wire that someone had spliced previously went intermittent.  That's it, and the last set of tires lasted 130K mi!   You can get the coils on eBay for pretty cheap - $40 or so each.  NAPA gets about $120 IIRC each.

A buddy (N9MC) has bought two ex-Colorado Crown Vic P71s and he's very pleased with 'em.

You'll get pretty much the same gas mileage as the stock CV.  Difference is that the P71 has an oil cooler, heavier duty this-n-that, conduit for running cables to the trunk, and a puke-in-it-and-hose-it-out interior.

The one thing I don't like about it is the seats, compared to my Suburban, or the Sebring my wife used to have.

Thanks for the info..I once owned a 2000 F-150 with the same coil setup on a 5.4L.

What sort of mileage do you get?

One intangible is that everyone around here, including myself, seems to give a Crown Vic a long look and a wide berth. That's a safety plus, one would think.

The 20 year olds around here wouldn't be seen in a mini van, "crossover" or SUV- Totally uncool. They like the classic American full-sized cars now. OK, so be it. We looked at a Lincoln Town Car and a Cadaverlac last week, but they were too beat. Another criteria is his budget is < $4K.

He only needs to commute a short distance to work and school and to carry an amp and a couple of bass guitars in the trunk on weekends. I may disable the lighter...
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 11:11:50 AM »

If you ever find an LX model in good shape get it. It has the same motor and exhaust system as the cop car but none of the extra weight and complication of the radio/lights wiring and a superior air suspension. They usually have comfy seats too.
WB2YGF
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »

As a young HAM, I drove a 1973 Plymouth Fury III.  It was a popular cop car.  With all the ham antennas, I was asked more than once if I was undercover. Smiley

Lots of trunk room for the 10M FM GE Prog line.

* 1973_Plymouth_Fury.jpg (96.97 KB, 800x508 - viewed 603 times.)
Art
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »

Great vehicle, all the cop equipment gives it a good start. Then you get to the utilization of the individual vehicle. There's going to be a difference between those that have been primarily used on the highway and city use. You will also want to make sure the frame is straight. Mine was outstanding for 100K+ miles and relatively cheap to insure.
Just fix the lighter. . . .
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »

Well, it's a done deal. 2000 silver Crown Vic Police for $2,650. Frame straight, drives straight hands-off, pulls good and the tranny shifts solid. Excellent brakes and 75% rubber. A bit over 100K miles. Ex-Colorado State Patrol, Carfax verifies, so it's all highway miles and has had regular maintenance. Was last used in Craig, Colo., which is a rural area in the northwest corner of the state.

The lighter is missing- LOL.

One interesting feature is that there is a pair of brass posts in the trunk which are cabled to the battery up front.  Looks like for jump-starting other vehicles from the rear.

* crown vic 2.jpg (30.52 KB, 562x421 - viewed 608 times.)

* crown vic 1.jpg (28.45 KB, 562x421 - viewed 588 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »

Elwood said, (via W1GFH):
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Jake: Fix the lighter!

LOL

Good deal, Bill.  My '98 P71 is my 18 YO kid's favorite car to drive, of the 4 in the stable.  The only bad thing about having the P71 is people ahead of you slow WAY down which can be frustrating on a 2 lane road  Wink

I get 23 MPG winter/summer commuting to work (1/2 2 lane hwy with plenty of stoplights, 1/2 interstate/parkway, sometimes stop-n-go).

Regarding the jumper terminals, I had a '78 Plymouth Fury ex-MN State Patrol car that had a little hose reel under the hood, with a tee and valve off the fuel pump.  Just the thing for giving a stranded motorist a gallon or so of gas.  And Pete thinks the gas tank in the P71 is a fire hazard  Grin

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »

Tnx for info..My son is going to learn how to do an oil change this weekend. Just picked up a filter and 5 qts of oil. Tranny fluid and filter is next. Prolly similar to my Ford F-250 setup and the wife's Grand Cherokee- Drop the pan and oil, change the filter, and fill it up.

I don't know, but if there's a safer car for being rear-ended or hitting a tree at 75 MPH I'd like to know what it is. The thing has air bags, at least. You know what- If I was rear ended by a drunk at 75 MPH, i wouldn't be suing Ford for the consequences. That's the way I am. (If I survived)

There's a 1/2" hole in the roof where the wiring for the candles came through...I need to find out where you get those nice rubber plugs for ex-two-way antenna holes. Or I can hang a few Larsen VHF antennas on the top... Grin
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »

Changing the earl is a bit more of a PITA due to the oil cooler.  You needs ta do some gymnastics with the filter to get it in and out, which usually ends up with earl all over the driveway.

Good edumacation for the boy, though.  The thing is really easy to work on, relatively speaking, should it ever need it.  Only work I've done myself is brakes, tracking down those afore-mentioned electrical gremlins, and changing the Earl of Crankcase.  The coil packs I had done at a local shop.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »

That's where living on a farm with a gravel driveway comes in handy!
The more spilled earl, the better!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015