The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:41:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crown Vic Police Interceptor?  (Read 41114 times)
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »

That's where living on a farm with a gravel driveway comes in handy!
The more spilled earl, the better!

Helps keep the dust down!

Also helps to keep those pesky enviro-mentals on the edge of a stroke too   Grin

Many benefits.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »

And Pete thinks the gas tank in the P71 is a fire hazard  Grin

I just posted a link http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/ on what has been reported around the country over the years with the police and fleet versions of this car. You can draw your own conclusions on how you value the safety of anyone getting into one of these turkeys. Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a 50 foot pole. And, of course, they don't need lighters, since some of them can light up themselves if you rub them the wrong way. This car must be a "big momma" relation to the Ford Pinto.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »

Changing the earl is a bit more of a PITA due to the oil cooler.  You needs ta do some gymnastics with the filter to get it in and out, which usually ends up with earl all over the driveway.

The earl filter comes out easy if you cut the wheels all the way to one side. I forget which.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

And Pete thinks the gas tank in the P71 is a fire hazard  Grin

I just posted a link http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/ on what has been reported around the country over the years with the police and fleet versions of this car. You can draw your own conclusions on how you value the safety of anyone getting into one of these turkeys. Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a 50 foot pole. And, of course, they don't need lighters, since some of them can light up themselves if you rub them the wrong way. This car must be a "big momma" relation to the Ford Pinto.

OMG I better run, not walk, down to the car RIGHT NOW and make sure it hasn't caught on fire  Shocked Shocked

In reality, 26 fires involving rear-end collisions out of a population of several million CV, Town Car, and Grand Marquis.  NHTSA concluded:

ODI Findings:

* The crash energy levels associated with post rear impact fuel tank failures in the CVPI vehicles are significantly greater than the levels in FMVSS 301 tests.
    * Fuel tank failures during high-speed rear impacts can result from numerous causes in addition to the hex-headed bolt and U-brackets identified in the Ford TSB.� Crash reports identify many causes for loss of fuel system integrity during a high-energy rear crash, such as puncture from a deformed frame rail, lower shock absorber supports, or stowed items in the trunk, hydrostatic rupture, and other causes.
    * Based on analysis of FARS data, the risk of fire per fatal rear crash in the subject vehicles is comparable to that of the GM B-body vehicle (Caprice).
    * The vast majority of reported post rear crash fires in the subject vehicles (over 80%) occurred in CVPI vehicles, even though they constitute less than 15% of the total Panther vehicle production.
    * The Florida Highway Patrol Study did not identify a difference between the post rear impact fire risk in CVPI vehicles and that of the Caprice police vehicles.
    * Ford-sponsored testing indicates that the subject vehicles are not unique in their inability to maintain fuel tank integrity in at least one example of a severe rear impact crash.�
    * There have been numerous high-energy rear crashes involving CVPI vehicles within the scope of Ford�s TSB that exhibited little or no fuel loss and no fire.

I think your hysteria is a bit misplaced, Pete.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »

One more time:

What vehicle out there is safest in a 75 MPH rear-ender?

Pete, do you know?
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »

If I understood what I read in all those posts, there is a not-very-expensive shield kit available to provide extra protection for the fuel tank. 

"The board met in special session Friday and voted to buy 18 protective Kevlar shields designed for the trunks of Ford Crown Victoria police vehicles. The shields cost about $271 each and will be purchased from Donnell Ford, Boardman."

It might be reasonable to add one (if it doesn't already have it) for additional peace of mind or simply rely on the statistics of teen drivers:  a) they aren't likely to have much gas in the tank anyway b) they are more likely to hit something than to be hit by someone else. 

That car is such a good deal I feel like looking for one myself although I don't need one, don't know what I'd do with it, but what a lot of car for such a modest price.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »

" This car must be a "big momma" relation to the Ford Pinto. "

Gee, I wonder where I can  find a replacement for my old '73 Pinto Squire?

Just checked EPay Motors and there is one out there  @  $2400 buy it now
or best offer...Guess the CV is a better buy. Roll Eyes

Actually, I have had 4 Pintos in the last 37 years and all things considered they
were great little rides...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »

I think your hysteria is a bit misplaced, Pete.

Sorry, no hysteria here. I only reported or linked to documented news items. Someone once said, "In short, the truth often hurts, but failure to acknowledge the truth can hurt even more." (ed. but maybe not today)

And another tidbit I found from autosafety.org:
"Ford Admits Crown Vic Failed Crash Test - Ford announced Sept. 27, it would install fuel tank shields on some 350,000 Crown Vic police cars, touting a crash test it claimed showed the shields effective at speeds up to 75 miles per hour. However, a Ford official acknowledged in a deposition taken last month that the crash-tested tank actually leaked more than 40 ounces of a fuel substitute known as Stoddard. Federal standards limit fuel tank leaks in crash tests to no more than one ounce."

Ya want more, try this:
http://www.autosafety.org/campaigns/26

Fred k2dx

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 10:17:11 PM »

Well, whatever it is... we can bet it is a full sized American V8 sedan or SUV with rear wheel drive and a real frame under it LOL.

JN that's real respectable mileage too. I consider the money spent on fuel in my full size vehicles cheap insurance. I was rear ended once in my full size K5 Blazer, some lower back compression for me and a tailgate and quarter panel for the truck. The other car, a 70's Cutlass was totalled. The front bumper, grille, header panel and one fender were completely ripped off. The frame was bent. My frame was fine. That's why I always remember the truism; Big vehicle always wins. It's physics.

Bill that's a fine choice for your boy, he will like it. It's a safe car too. It's no accident cops like them. Those power points in the truck could be used for jumper cables, but that's the main battery B+ connection for the trunk mounted electronics as well. BTW what is the main statewide radio sytem out there? Have they gone trunking exclusively or is there still high power vhf or low band with 100 watt radios?  

The Crown Vics/Mercury Grand Marquis are the last decent sedans. The tree huggers can go you know where!

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »

One more time:

What vehicle out there is safest in a 75 MPH rear-ender?

Pete, do you know?

Don't know. Do they even test for this type of impact for fuel tank explosion?

According to this news item:
"Ford's Panther line of cars, which consists of the Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car and Grand Marquis, is the oldest auto platform in North America. They are the only cars still designed with the fuel tank located outside the protection of the rear axle and within the car's "crush zone." No other passenger cars manufactured on this continent have retained this fuel tank position because it has been considered too dangerous."

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:11 PM »

Couple of comments after a day-
My son loves driving it. So do I. It handles a lot like a smaller car, firm and precise rack-n-pinon steering. Lot of guts and the trans shifts like a rock when you put your foot in it. Great roar out of the tail pipe-wham-shift.. Very comfortable ride, great back seat. Cavernous trunk.

Got a few things to fix, the rear windows won't operate except from the driver's position. The radio stinks.

Yes, there is a built-in roll bar and knife-proof steel in the backs of the front seats.

A lot of other vehicles stay w-a-a-y away from you, thinking it's a cop car. I went down the interstate with the cruise locked down at the speed limit and no one passed me for 10 miles. I guess that's a safety feature..? Except for the 140 MPH speedo which impressed the boy.

Extremely comfortable, front seats and rear. Very similar ride to a Volvo 850 or large Beemer. Tight shocks and springs. Haven't tried a bootlegger's turn in it yet.

Seems to be getting around 22-23 MPG so far.

Fred: The city of Denver is on a 800 MHz GE trunked system, the Colorado State Patrol and everyone else is still on 150 MHz VHF. The CSP still uses the 100 watt VHF Motorola rigs. Probably better than using a trunked system in our rough terrain. Some of the rural electric utilities are still on low-band.

Now I need to get a Smokey Bear hat to totally freak people out.

Where can I find a good Motrac?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 12:18:45 AM »

I had an '02 civilian one. It was just fine. I can only imagine the cop one would be a little better. The horsepower is low on them (200 something) for such a big car, but then what HP isn't low today.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 08:02:37 AM »

Sorry, no hysteria here. I only reported or linked to documented news items. Someone once said, "In short, the truth often hurts, but failure to acknowledge the truth can hurt even more." (ed. but maybe not today)

And another tidbit I found from autosafety.org:
"Ford Admits Crown Vic Failed Crash Test - Ford announced Sept. 27, it would install fuel tank shields on some 350,000 Crown Vic police cars, touting a crash test it claimed showed the shields effective at speeds up to 75 miles per hour. However, a Ford official acknowledged in a deposition taken last month that the crash-tested tank actually leaked more than 40 ounces of a fuel substitute known as Stoddard. Federal standards limit fuel tank leaks in crash tests to no more than one ounce."

Ya want more, try this:
http://www.autosafety.org/campaigns/26

No hysteria, Pete?  Physician, heal thyself:

Quote from: WA2CWA
You can draw your own conclusions on how you value the safety of anyone getting into one of these turkeys. Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a 50 foot pole. And, of course, they don't need lighters, since some of them can light up themselves if you rub them the wrong way. This car must be a "big momma" relation to the Ford Pinto.

Uhh.... where's the evidence of *that*??

Also, the NHTSA has no standards for 75-MPH rear-end collisions.   This is all a bunch of BS, and NHTSA said as much in their conclusion.

Quote from: NHTSA
* The crash energy levels associated with post rear impact fuel tank failures in the CVPI vehicles are significantly greater than the levels in FMVSS 301 tests.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »

I'm looking at a 2000 ex-Colorado State Patrol Crown Vic for my son.

On an earlier thread here, it seemed that several of youse are happy Crown Vic owners...Any comments, pro or con, on the cop version?

My brother KC4CMR has had two of them over the years, a 1992 and his 1999. Both have been excellent.

It's true about the equipment mounting -- a municipal radio shop that he's familiar with told a story about how the chief installer put a sheet metal screw right through the trunk and into the gas tank of a brand new Crown Vic that had just come off the truck.

First sign of a problem was a little puddle at first fill up.  A new gas tank and lots of red faces later, they went through and checked the whole fleet. 
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »

http://www.qmuniforms.com/product.asp?category=200301403&status=P4&sku=P2228

or

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=HW257

or best of all (scroll down a little to the felt one)

http://www.reddiamondonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=39
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »

I manufacture and install graphic packages for several counties and municipalities on their police vehicles and the majority are crown vics.  I have always wondered what the hole in the rear door is for.  It is located underneath the side molding on all crown vics.
W4EWH

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »

I'm looking at a 2000 ex-Colorado State Patrol Crown Vic for my son.

On an earlier thread here, it seemed that several of youse are happy Crown Vic owners...Any comments, pro or con, on the cop version?

My wife's car used to be a Taurus SHO, which we bought from the GSA auction. It had been a FPS "cop" car, with oil cooler, heavy-duty alternator, knife shield, and dual exhausts. Every mechanic that saw it remarked on how nicely it was outfitted.

There are intangible benefits to driving an ex-cop car: I was on 495 once, doing ~75, when a state police cruiser came up behind me and turned on his alternating headlights instead of the blue lights. I took the hint; he obviously assumed I was driving an unmarked police car.

If the siren/howler/etc electronics come with it, that's a big plus: you can lock the setting to "Horn", and connect it to your horn button, so that anyone you beep at will straighten up as if they'd been tassered. However, you must relocate the unit to the engine compartment so that it can't be changed to siren mode. Real cops won't like the sound, but they'll let you slide if you can prove it used to be a police car.

If the one you're looking at has the searchlight in the driver's-side post (the one you aim with a handle inside the car), then you'll be amazed at how quickly people get out of your way when you're behind them in the passing lane. The 2 meter antenna helps a little, but everyone "knows" what the searchlight means!

Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Fred k2dx

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

We had two loaded Grand Marquis (cousins of CV) and they were excellant cars, the ex still has the last one. I had the occasion to drive many types of cop vehicles thru work for the last 23 years, and none compared IMHO to the CV's. The Chargers sucked even, at least the ones with the package around here in that they were geared WAY to high. With the OD no need for it and no hole shot at all. The rear visibility was poor for parking. The Caprices were fair, lively but the amount of glass was like a fishbowl - great for solar heating! - and funky looking. The FWD Chevy Impala's were very uncomfortable, and a V-6? Ha. FWD is crap for handling.

Here's a question:    Who knows what was the fastest stock cop car - both 1/4 mile time AND top end, for over 20 years, from around 1970 into the 1990's? Not sure but also probably the heaviest/biggest and certainly intimidating?
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »

I Googled up the 1969 Dodge Polara 440, 375 HP that the California Highway Patrol had ordered.

Don't know about the 1/4 mile, but a claimed 140 MPH top end.

* CHP Polara.JPG (93.11 KB, 496x375 - viewed 466 times.)
Fred k2dx

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »

Yeah, that was a deceiving 375 hp, the torque was like 490 ft/lbs @ ~2500 rpm. The 1/4 mile time was in the low 14's, 0-60 six seconds... nothing tested faster for cop cars until Chevy put the Corvette engine in the smaller and lighter Caprice! I think the '440 Magnum' tested at 145 (147 another source) mph , that could be influenced by altitude, temp, etc. Chrysler put the engine into 300's as well. Those are respectable numbers for a true land yacht!

Single 4bbl, high compression heads, dual points, dual snorkle air cleaner, special cam, steel crank, cast iron headers...

"Hit it Jake!"

Here's a link : http://www.allpar.com/squads/history.html

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »

The '78 Fury and Monaco were a bit smaller than the full size Polara and older Furies.  The A38 police package topped out with a 440/4barrel.  I once buried the 140 MPH certified speedometer in mine - yeah, I was young and dumb.  Was rock stable til about 130 or so, then the front end started lifting.  It'd do 0-60-0 in less than a city block... That thing had NASCAR stiff suspension, too

It wasn't nearly as reliable as my CV - carburetor etc - but was a LOT more fun to drive  Grin

Mine was very much like this one, except no decals...

W2JTD

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »

Maggie and I have a Vic. Run it to Deerfield every year. Nice ride, but with the ass-end drive, you gotta accept the fishtailing on a wet road. Non-cop version - old lady version. Not bad for shaggin' in the back seat, if you leave one door open.

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »

How many times did your CV catch fire, Paul  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »

Not bad for shaggin' in the back seat, if you leave one door open.

If youse guys werent 12' tall, that wouldnt be a problem!!  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1GFH
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »

The only cop car I was ever interested in was the Ozzie Ford police "Interceptor" in Mad Max. I especially thought the jump seat for the German Shepherd was cool...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015