The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:13:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vent  (Read 37632 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »

Corky was on the rag and had Ward give me my test. He made me take the code test twice. I used to drive my mother crazy for a ride to Hartford when my Dad got home at 4:00. She was into electronics so usually gave in. She busted my butt for years when we drove in traffic to get a mic when my General came and I was into CW soon after that.
I used to buy a few 4 inch spreaders every time we went. They were 55 cents each. I dreamed of the 6 inchers but cost was too high.
Imagine how crappy Hatry pay was back then. Corky must have been paying for years.
I bought my first BC610 plate transformer from them around 1974 after getting my first 4-1000A at HRO near S.F. Ca. while visiting friends around New Years 1974.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2009, 04:12:18 PM »

My first attempt at radio was when I was in elementary school. A friend of mine had this neat crystal radio set he and his father built.  His father was an engineer and radio man for the Coast Guard. Back then I was fascinated with my friends crystal set.

My father collected all sorts of parts for fixing the old b&w TV. I had no idea what most of his parts were but had a rough idea.  I wanted to duplicate my friends crystal radio set because I thought it was so neat to hear radio without power or amplification.

Granted I wasn't dealing with any type of voltage. I breadboarded the parts I had to duplicate the crystal set using a piece of a split log (the closest I could get to a flat piece of wood), used 2 inductors as the coil and used the sheet metal screws to connect the wires.  Suffice it to say it did not work.

It was quite the abortion.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »

I wish I still had the galena holder my Dad made me from a hunk of 1/2 inch copper tubing. I think it came out of an old Cub Scouts manual.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:24 PM »

Yep, "Hatry pay" and buying a Collins S-line.... HA!  Corky was a REEAAL ham.

Hey Bob -  Back to your rig... You fixed at least one problem. What's the bottom line now - after stablizing the screens, what is left to do? Are you happy with the performance at this point?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »

Hi Tom,
Yes, Overall I'm happy with the rig.

The bottom line is I think I'm close to a maiden voyage.  Screens are stabilized for the most part but do waver no more than 5% under modulation.  The scope looks good when tuned up and a 1KC and up audio signal is used to modulate it.   

One thing I'm not happy with however is the frequency response.  Low end response does roll off plus the envelopes shape becomes more rounded.  I don't believe it is a result of the modulator but more the audio amp and transformer. So I have some investigating to do.

The arcing issue is solved. That had more to do with tuning of the rig. Sort of a learning curve I had to overcome.

Also, I would like to investigate what Frank suggested, that being tank Q being too high. So I'd like to try a different tank coil arrangement if I can shoe horn one in.  I haven't used your dimensions yet.  Just haven't had the time to construct a tank coil yet. 

Aside from the possible Qtank issue and getting a nice audio response the rig maybe ready for an on air test.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »

Throw it on so we can tell you how nice it sounds.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »

Yes, during the new-rig-honeymoon period, everyone has to give out nice reports, so don't worry.

After a few weeks, you'll start hearing the truth. By then, you've had plenty of time to clean it up anyway... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »

OK guys.  I'll be there this weekend. Will put the fire to the wire.

Be there or be square  Wink

The acid test will be getting it by HenryLR.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015