The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More odd propagation  (Read 2931 times)
WQ9E

« on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »

WSM out of Nashville is pounding in at a solid S-5 at high noon here in central IL.  I flipped on the Yaesu FT-1 while I was doing some much needed bench cleaning and spun down the broadcast band to avoid whiny talk radio and landed on WSM.  Although I am not a big country fan it is certainly better than talk and it was "classic country" so it is now coming through my RCA AR-88 which sounds really nice.  Too bad my Christmas wish of having both talk radio and rap go away hasn't come true.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »

During this past weekend's 160m CW QRMtest, just for the hell of it I worked a few stations between 11AM and noon.  This included Ontario, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia.  Not bad for high noon from middle TN.

Unfortunately, most of the ops were giving everybody 599 signal reports, so the QRMtest wasn't very useful for finding anything about your signal coverage.  The one time I seriously worked a 160m CW contest back in the early 60's, it was assumed that everyone was giving honest signal reports, and the  reports you received gave you some idea of how well you were getting out all over the country.  That way, contests actually served a useful purpose.

I gave everyone I worked this weekend an honest signal report.  I monitored for a while and noticed that a  few others also were apparently doing the same, giving signal reports that were not 599.

I listened the other night to the German longwave border blaster on 183 kHz.  They run 2 megawatts directional to the southwest to transmit programs into France.  They came in here for over an hour, from about 0530 to 0630 GMT, at or near entertainment quality.

I suspect that due to the current extended lull in sunspots that we may be experiencing once-in-a-lifetime band condx on the lower frequencies.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »

Yea Don,
I get tired of the 599 reports too.
What if we started giving SINPO reports.

I can hear the keyboards clicking on GOOOGLE now.

The present lull is really great for the low-bands and VLF

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 03:18:35 PM »

Heard a QSO yesterday around 4 PM on 1885 AM between a ham near Lancaster, PA and Nashville TN.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »

Some theories content that 160 meter propagation changes little if any when the SSN is between 0 and 50. The D-layer leve remains the same because the ionizing source is not related to the SSN.

From KN4LF

Popular Myth- We don't understand medium frequency (300-529 kc long wave aviation and marine navigation beacon band, 530-1700 kc AM broadcast band, 160 meter amateur band and 120 meter shortwave tropical broadcast band) radio wave propagation conditions and therefore it can't be forecasted.

Fact- Yes it can and is on a regular basis at KN4LF Daily LF/MF/HF/6M Frequency Radiowave Propagation Forecast http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf6.htm .

a.) Medium frequencies encompass 300 to 3000 kc. The simplest way to look at medium frequencies with respect to propagation issues from a layman's point of view, is to accept the fact that propagation is poor the majority of the time (See definition #6. Electron Gyro Frequency Absorption), especially past approximately 1250 miles (one refraction off of the E layer), with occasional short-lived good periods as far as 3200 miles.

Medium frequency radio waves possess elliptical polarization, with the signal splitting into ordinary and extra-ordinary rays. These rays can propagate in or out of phase, more often out of phase. The out of phase extra-ordinary ray represents a 50% power loss on the receive end of a path.

b.) Why is medium frequency propagation poor the majority of the time? D layer absorption! At daytime the D layer which is at an approximate height of 30-60 miles in the mesosphere, totally absorbs medium frequency RF signals the majority of the time. I say the majority of the time because at higher latitudes, during the winter season and especially at the low part of a sunspot cycle, daytime penetration of RF signals through the weakened D layer and then refraction via the E layer and/or Sporadic E (Es) clouds does occur. Another issue is the fact that the D layer does not totally disappear at night. Many books that deal with wave propagation erroneously state that the D and E layer's disappear after sunset, totally incorrect thanks to Galactic X-Rays, Cosmic Rays and Lightning.

c.) Background electromagnetic radiation in the 1 to 10 Angstrom range (Hard X-Rays) is a major source of ionization of the day time D layer, with our Sun as the source of Cosmic Rays, also playing a role.

The following paragraph was contributed by Carl Luetzelschwab K9LA, a scientist with a very good understanding of radiowave propagation.

.....A couple years ago I was playing with Proplab Pro on a one-hop 936km path on 160m during daylight. I plotted absorption versus sunspot number. I expected a nice monotonic increase as the sunspot number increased. But the plot showed that absorption started at about 60dB at zero sunspots and was constant out to a sunspot number of about 50. Then it started climbing, reaching 100dB at a sunspot number of 150. This suggested that there was something other than hard X-rays and cosmic rays as the source of daytime D region absorption. So I dug into Davies 1990 (page 61), Hunsucker and Hargreaves (page 31), and Brekke (page 233). They all seem to point to the Lyman-alpha line of the solar spectrum at 1215 Angstroms ionizing NO as the main source of the quiet daytime D region. So in terms of my absorption versus sunspot number plot, the flat portion up to a sunspot number of 50 is probably due to the Lyman-alpha line ionizing NO. Then above a sunspot number of 50 the hard X-rays start contributing as the Sun becomes more active.....

Carl has produced two really good .pdf files on 160 meter propagation in 2003 and 2004. Read them here: 160 Meter Propagation & Disturbances To Propagation . He also has a propagation website with allot of good information on it at K9LA's Amateur Radio Propagation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015