The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:35:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Telescope - Which Type/Model/Kind To Buy?  (Read 14391 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 07:33:14 AM »

W8YNG....   Bet he thought of "W8young(man) through much of his life.

Very distinguished looking gentleman, dressed appropriately for business in those days too.

We should all 'suit up,' take pictures in front of our rigs and establish an AM gallery, "all proper and gussied up like"

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1UJR
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »

I've shown pictures of the telescope my Dad built in 1938, so now it think it's appropriate to show a picture of him, Bill Maxwell, W8YNG, my Dad and Rick's Grandfather.

Walt, W2DU

Excellent photo Walt, your dad had quite the station!
And he does look most distinguished in his "Sunday Going To Meeting" clothes.
Nice looking SX-28 and RME 69 as well, a most proper station!
Are you sure its 1938 Walt, thought the SX-28 did not come out until 1940?
I see the mill on the left, what looks like a panadaptor on the right, but what is the unit below the panadaptor?
I thought it might be a direction indictor for a beam, but can't tell for certain, perhaps a modulation scope?

Big bottles in the tx, 250 or 450th?
Noted the National Velvet Verineer's on the front panel of the first two tx.

I always enjoy looking at vintage radio photos, the folks just dressed very well, and even hamfests
were treated as a formal event.

I agree with Rick, we should all dress up fancy and do a shack photo.
Perhaps that might be a good idea for a new photo gallery here on AM Fone?

W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »

Hi Bruce,

Glad you like the appearance of my Dad--he was such a great guy and I still miss him after 40 years. The pic was taken in 1956, but he passed away in 1958 at age 72. He taught Rick how to solder when he was five. He was net control of the Michigan Emergency Net on 75 fone for many years.

The big bottles are 450-TH, and the unit below the panadapter is a Miessner Signal Shifter. Bruce, the 1938 referred to the year Dad built the telescope, and had nothing to do with the SX-28. I bought the RME-69 in 1937 and Dad bought the HRO in 1938. When I moved from Michigan to NJ in 1949 I preferred the HRO, so I left the RME-69 with him. I now have both the RME and HRO, still in use, and Rick has the SX-28 and the Signal Shifter. The SX-28 is still in mint condition and works like it's brand new. I have since acquired another SX-28 that needs a lot of reconditioning.

Bruce, I think a new gallery is a great idea!!

Walt, W2DU

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
W1UJR
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »

Ah, Ok Walt, my bad, was focused on the photo, and saw the 1938.

Ok, so that was a Signal Shifter, I'm not that familiar with those.

Glad you still have the RME-69 and SX-28, classic rigs.
I have a RME-69 as well, very pretty receiver with the two glowing half-moon dials.
I've wanted one for years, found a very nice example at the AWA Conference this year.
The YL bought it for me, now when your significant other buys you an old radio, you know that is love.  Wink
Of course, the SX-28 is very fine as well, iconic in fact, it just looks like a radio should.
I've often thought if I was to have a radio in the living room, it would be an SX-28, they just look pretty.

Thanks for sharing that with the fellows.  Cheesy
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »

Seein' as how you like pics of vintage stuff, Bruce, the attached pic shows a portion of my old stuff.

Walt, W2DU

* HRO's et al.jpg (821.71 KB, 2048x1365 - viewed 381 times.)

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 04:00:22 PM »

T,
someday I'd like to look through that 22" scope of yours.  What do you use for eyepieces?

Bruce,
An equatorial mount is probably one of the most steadiest mounts but a good one can get pricey.

I have an 8" Celestron that's on a fork mount.  The mount isn't the best because the slightest vibration will set it off like a tuning fork but as long as the scope is not touched the images are sharp. Your mount or tripod to the ground will be important too.  A sturdy 'pod is necessary. 

Like others have said, avoid the department store $100 scopes. They are junk.  The optics suck. Like ham radio if you want something good expect to spend over $1000 or more on a commercial scope and accessories. 

I'm happy with my 8" SC.  I works great.  I've looked through 14"  Meade SC's and although they have more light gathering power my SC beats the pants off of them for image sharpness, brightness and color.  It's portable and many good accessories to enjoy several hours of viewing.

If you can find yourself a local astronomy club that would be a great way to expose yourself to various scopes and opinions plus get to try out what types are out there.  The  club I belong to uses a cornfield that a local farmer allows us to use.  The sky is dark with great horizons.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015