The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:40:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stinkbugs  (Read 9047 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: October 11, 2008, 06:39:59 PM »

we got a major stinkbug infestation here, wondering if anyone else has got a bunch of em in their house?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »

None in the house, but they are eating up what's left of my vegetable garden.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »

Yea they were going after the late stuff in our garden also. I saw at least 50 of them on a butternut squash before I picked everything last week.
Our cat takes care of all little invaders in the house.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 11:53:37 PM »

we have them little geckos or chameolin lizards everywhere, they eat the bugs. When there are too many lizards, the 4 feral tomcats I feed eat them for dessert after the mice snakes and rats.. Contrary to belief, to get outdoor mean kitty to hunt for you, you need to feed him well so he'll eat and lie around all day, then do his job at night for sport.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

DRB said:
we got a major stinkbug infestation here, wondering if anyone else has got a bunch of em in their house?

Funny you should mention that Tim. On Thur. I had to work overtime. Appearantly a high level RF switch hung up on one of our bio-filter tanks (~1M gal). It seemed as though the side of the tank facing west was loaded with them. I'll bet there was close to 200 of them on the side of the tank. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what they were doing there.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »

(apologies to G. Thurgood)

I saw you hangin out on the west side of the bio filter tank. You bugs didnt look like you wuz tryin to find no job!

(200 little stinkbug voices) But we's tired! We's been walking all day!

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »

I see them every once in a while. Haven't seen them here recently. 

The asian lady bugs are out though.  They get into everything. Hopefully this year won't be as bad as last year.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »

Tank must have been warm so bugs hanging for the heat.
Bob, I have not seen any lady bugs but the Bee population seems to be coming back.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »

Stink bugs?     What are those?   Like June Bugs?    Huh

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »

heres one of the little bastards. They're like little tanks that fly.

* DSCN0010.jpg (96.73 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 419 times.)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »

My wife noticed these and pointed them out to me, and I had not idea what they were.
Now I know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_bug

David, K3TUE
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 06:26:02 PM »

I've seen some around heree too. I've also seen bugs like that that have a red Y on their backs.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
ab3al
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 06:35:24 PM »

CH3–(CH2)2–CH=CH–CHO

thanks for the link dave now i know the chemical formula for poopy!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »

Actually, I never thought the smell of the stink bugs was disgusting.  It always smelt like some kind of hydrocarbon solvent to me.  Not something I would want to sniff for the pleasure of it, but it never really bothered me.  OTOH, Asian ladybirds really do have a foul smell.  Plus, they bite.  Last year I had a hard time keeping them out of the little gaps between the keys on my keyboard.

The stink bugs can be very destructive in the vegetable garden.  This spring they totally devastated my summer squash crop.  They would attack the stalk of the  plant and cause the whole thing to wilt and  die.  I started out with a dozen or so plants, and by the end of the season, only two were still surviving. I still have some late tomatoes growing, and the stink bugs like to eat little holes in the fruit.  They don't consume much, but make just enough of a hole in the skin for rot to set in and ruin the tomato before it is ready to eat.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »

I was really glad to see the Honey bees come back, a little late, but they did show up in better numbers...thank God...
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »

I was really glad to see the Honey bees come back, a little late, but they did show up in better numbers...thank God...

I had been noticing them this year.  Have they mad a comeback recently?

David, K3TUE
ka3zlr
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 09:04:52 PM »

In the Spring Planting David I seen None here on my place...I made a posting here on the forum. Then around the early middle of July somewhere there they were ... and as my growing season went on No problem.... just like nothing happened..i dunno...I know there was some kind of mite giving them a problem, from what i read else where and here so, maybe we got over that i hope... Cheesy
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »

OK, now I know what they are.  Not too many around here, though I occasionally see various types now and then.   We have mostly June Bugs in mid-summer. Look like  small Kalamata olives.  My cats love 'em.   

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:49 PM »

I'm surprised that someone here isn't predicting either extra heavy snow and extreme cold WX or a very warm Winter ahead with the appearance of the little stink bugs.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Skip
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

I used to live in Lehigh Co PA.  We had an infestation of stink bugs and kissing bugs.  They almost look alike but the kissing bug bites you in the lip while you are sleeping.  This happened to me and I had a bad infection and reaction to the toxin.
Boric acid (powdered) around doors and windows may help.  They can get in through the smallest crack.
So far, its too cold for them up here in Potter Co.

tnx 73  de Skip  K3CC
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »

Well, it's 74 degrees here.  The asian lady bugs are all over the back of the house where the sun shines like previous years.  This year they don't seem to be as bad or as many.  Had to seal up the french doors and slider with tape to keep them out.  So far so good. I had them coming up through the plumbing for the baseboard heaters in some rooms in the front of the house all throughout the winter last year. Obviously a gap somewhere in the house.   Hopefully there won't be as many as last year. 

Tank must have been warm so bugs hanging for the heat.
Bob, I have not seen any lady bugs but the Bee population seems to be coming back.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »

Wow, 74 today good solar gain the house will be warm. I should go outside more at lunch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015