The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:14:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beans, Bibles and Bullets - Better Stock Up Boys  (Read 36892 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 09:51:27 AM »

Gas prices expected to fall further

If there's one bright spot in a bad economy, it's that gasoline prices have fallen, and they're expected to drop even further.

As the global economy falters, demand for oil has dropped. And since the price of oil makes up about half of the cost of a gallon of gas, analysts see more relief ahead at the pump.

"We ought to see prices drop pretty quickly," said American Automobile Association spokesman Geoff Sundstrom. "We're well on our way to $3 gas within the next week or two."

But...

Heat costs going up this winter.

Although global oil prices have plummeted, the cost of heating your home this winter will be a lot more expensive, especially for households that depend on fuel oil, the Energy Department predicted Tuesday.

Households that use fuel oil can expect to spend an average of $2,388 - or $449 more than last year - for the October-April heating season. Users of natural gas will pay less than half that, $1,010 on average, still $155 more than last year...

Users of electricity to heat homes will see the smallest increase, about 10% on average, followed by propane, 11%; natural gas, which is used in more than half of the nation's homes, 18%; and heating oil, used widely in the Northeast, 23%.

I wish they would tell that to our local power company, that gets its electricity from TVA.  They just announced a 20% hike in electric rates starting this month.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 11:31:34 AM »

20 cans of hormel chilli (gotta talk to the wife about that one)

Hormel Huh? ouch!!!

Dente More Stew is much better, Mikey.
Just take some Bisquik pancake batter and spoon it on top.... cover till it bakes and ya got some goooood dumplings.
It's a cabin favorite!
W1UJR
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »

Hey guys, can we keep this off politics and just discuss the state of the country?  Wink
I know that's hard this time of year, but my intention was to get a dialogue going, not open up a political discussion.

Some posts have skated very close to the edge, in some cases over it, and the thread may be yanked if this continues.  Cry
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »

I think right now we have a nice trading bottom in, mkt. very oversold.
Rally could last till election time.  After that Huh
Is it THE bottom?  Time will tell...

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 12:17:03 PM »

" Hormel Huh? ouch!!! "

Well, ya can boil up pasta or some rice, and throw the stuff over it. It aint that bad...  I usda be porer back then.

Also,
       Hormel makes the miracle food "SPAM"

You can make lotsa gud stuff with it,
spam
       spam and eggs
             spam, baked beans and spam
                      spam, eggs, sausage and spam

I eat it when using the vikings.

klc

* Spam.jpg (22.91 KB, 350x208 - viewed 418 times.)

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »

I would think we are due for a good sucker rally as we say good bye to the old crooks and hello to the new crooks.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 12:18:49 PM »

dead cat bounce?

klc

What? Me worry?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »

this thread may be bailed out t anytime
W1UJR
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »

dead cat bounce?

klc

I had to look that one up...

Dead cat bounce
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A dead cat bounce is a term used by traders in the finance industry to describe a pattern wherein a spectacular decline in the price of a stock is immediately followed by a moderate and temporary rise before resuming its downward movement, with the connotation that the rise was not an indication of improving circumstances in the fundamentals of the stock. It is derived from the notion that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height".
The phrase has been used on the trading floors for many years. However the earliest recorded use of the phrase dates from 1985 when the Singaporean and Malaysian stock markets bounced back after a hard fall during the recession of that year. Journalist Christopher Sherwell of the Financial Times reported a stock broker as saying the market rise was a "dead cat bounce".

The reasons for such a bounce can be technical, as investors may have standing orders to buy shorted stocks if they fall below a certain level or to cover certain option positions. Once those limits are reached, the buy orders are activated and the sudden rise in demand causes the price of the stock to rise as well. The bounce may also be the result of speculation. Since bounces often occur, traders buy into what they hope is the bottom of the market, expecting a bounce and thereby reaping a quick profit. Thus, the very act of anticipating a bounce can create and magnify it.

A market rise after a sharp fall can only really be seen to be a "dead cat bounce" with the benefit of hindsight. If the stock starts to fall again in the following days and weeks, then it is a true dead cat bounce. If the market starts to climb again after the first short bounce, then the continued rise in price action would be considered a trend reversal and not a dead cat bounce ie. a short lived bounce before a further decline. This distinction only becomes obvious in hindsight and the evaluation may vary depending upon the initial and final points of reference.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »

Your tax dollars at work.
From today's abcnews.com

-----------------
Less than a week after the federal government committed $85 billion to bail out AIG, executives of the giant AIG insurance company headed for a week-long retreat at a luxury resort and spa, the St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, California, Congressional investigators revealed today.

The St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, California, was the site of a week-long luxury retreat for executives of the AIG insurance company, who headed there less than a week after the federal government committed $85 billion to bail out the company.
"Rooms at this resort can cost over $1,000 a night," Congressman Henry Waxman (D-CA) said this morning as his committee continued its investigation of Wall Street and its CEOs.

AIG documents obtained by Waxman's investigators show the company paid more than $440,000 for the retreat, including nearly $200,000 for rooms, $150,000 for meals and $23,000 in spa charges.

"Their getting their pedicures and their manicures and the American people are paying for that," said Cong. Elijah Cummings(D-MD).

AIG CEO Robert Willumstad and former CEO Martin Sullivan are both scheduled to testify today.

Jim KF2SY

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »

Sumptin' else to ponder...

"Sell Rosh Hashanah -- Buy Yom Kippur"

http://www.thestreet.com/_kirk/university/askthestreet/10309573.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

;-)

Grin
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »

Yep, Waxman wasting your tax dollars. Those hollering the loudest are the problem, not the solution.

Your tax dollars at work.
From today's abcnews.com

-----------------
Less than a week after the federal government committed $85 billion to bail out AIG, executives of the giant AIG insurance company headed for a week-long retreat at a luxury resort and spa, the St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, California, Congressional investigators revealed today.

The St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, California, was the site of a week-long luxury retreat for executives of the AIG insurance company, who headed there less than a week after the federal government committed $85 billion to bail out the company.
"Rooms at this resort can cost over $1,000 a night," Congressman Henry Waxman (D-CA) said this morning as his committee continued its investigation of Wall Street and its CEOs.

AIG documents obtained by Waxman's investigators show the company paid more than $440,000 for the retreat, including nearly $200,000 for rooms, $150,000 for meals and $23,000 in spa charges.

"Their getting their pedicures and their manicures and the American people are paying for that," said Cong. Elijah Cummings(D-MD).

AIG CEO Robert Willumstad and former CEO Martin Sullivan are both scheduled to testify today.

John K5PRO

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »

MREs? Get Mountain House Freeze Dried food at Walmart. That stuff is good.
ka3zlr
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »

I'm for keeping Politics where it Belongs...

an my rifles where they belong....

State of the country...eh.....business as usual.....if ya don't got it...ya ain't gotta worry about it...another bill is being paid...Big Deal....
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »

What am I doing in the city?  Both of my parents were on farms during the Great Depression, one in Idaho, one in Ohio.  They bartered eggs, milk, butter, chickens, cows, whatever, to get by.  They had no money but they had food.

They're all gone now so I can't ask them how they managed for seed.  I do know they ran those farms with darned little gasoline, no big V8's, small stuff and horses.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »

What am I doing in the city?  Both of my parents were on farms during the Great Depression, one in Idaho, one in Ohio.  They bartered eggs, milk, butter, chickens, cows, whatever, to get by.  They had no money but they had food.

They're all gone now so I can't ask them how they managed for seed.  I do know they ran those farms with darned little gasoline, no big V8's, small stuff and horses.

LOL! I was pointing to our horses when an old friend recently stopped by.
I told him we were all set for eats if worse came to worse...Two nicely-muscled 900# Arabians..

I'd do laying hens, maybe geese, but fence-proofing them from the foxes and coyotes would be pricey. You got to lay heavy wire fence into 6" of concrete that they can't dig under.

My neighbor has had nothing but coyote problems and gave up with raising chickens and ducks.

There are so many rabbits, mule deer and elk around here for the taking.
Time to fire up old Betsy, my Winchester 94 30-30. And some .22 cal sabats.

Rabbit is good eating. Nothing better except elk tenderloin off the grill.. Squirrel (tree rats) and raccoon go to the dogs.

Buddly, swing by and take your pick! Mulie or bunny prepared Greek-style. Poached with oregano, lemon butter and steamed spinach. (Drool!)

If not, how about some grilled Buffalo.. Just enough grease to make the grill sing. On warm toasted buttered buns..
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 11:12:02 PM »

Don't forget the possum.. mmm

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka3zlr
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 06:43:03 AM »

Plenty of squirrel around, I picked up a Henry Repeating .17 Cal HMR I found i liked it so much i bought their 44 mag. very nice well made rifles.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/
K3ZS

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 08:42:55 AM »

Groundhog is not too bad.

NE4AM

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »

If/when it comes to that point, too many of our urban brethren will be cultivating a taste for  'Long Pig'.  This is why I prefer to be called an 'Amateur Radio Operator' instead of a 'Ham'.

73 - Dave

73 - Dave
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »

With all the gloom and doom being expressed, I wonder if there are any positive thoughts about how we can weather the storm and come out the other side of this bad spell?  We might see such things as more bartering and exchange of goods and services as well as more attempts at self-sufficiency by fixing things ourselves and doing more for ourselves.  We might be seeing the end or at least a slowdown of the "throw away society".  It might also become a necessity to become proficient at basic skills of survival.  However,  we are certainly not the same...largely agricultural society that we were earlier in the last century.  A very large percentage of our population is very dependent on a very small percentage, such as producers of basic needs such as food and energy.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W8EJO

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »

I bought this beauty a few years ago, Its a Browning BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle). It's a tack driver up to 200 yds. The beauty of the 06' is you can load it for almost any N.A game & the ubiquitous 30.06 cartridge is available anywhere & everywhere ammo is sold. The BAR rivals many bolt actions for accuracy.

As to the current economic mess, it began with political correctness run amok. It may end with another worldwide depression. PC will eventually kill us all unless we kill it first.

* _MG_2889_fs.jpg (58.85 KB, 640x427 - viewed 422 times.)

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
N2udf
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »

Maybe Irb was right not depending on the gov't for anything.
   I'm going to sell aluminum beaks so people can pick crap with the chickens.I will have a cheap source of aluminum when all the airlines go bankrupt.
Why would anyone want Meals Rejected by Etheopians?....................Lee 
WA1GFZ

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »

A chicken will eat its own crap....now that is a closed loop system.
Aluminum beak may be a problem for key hole birds.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »

The problem simply boils down to spending more money than one has to spend, and paying for the rest on credit.  Just about everyone is in the same boat, particularly the federal government and the American consumer. 

Damn, I hate that word.  I find it offensive to be called a "consumer".

The crooks involved in the present scandal simply took advantage of the opportunity at hand.  Their bad decisions may have exacerbated the immediate situation, but the fundamental problem was inevitable.

I read somewhere recently that the average US resident owes something like $10,000 in credit card debt alone.

And that's on top of monthly mortgage, medical and car payments, not to mention living expenses.

This is a fairly low property-value area, but the cost of a typical mortgage, car payment, real estate taxes and utilities takes about 100% of most people's monthly take-home pay round here (a low-wage largely blue collar area).  God forbid unexpected medical expenses. The only way the average Joe Blowe could live, let alone afford the big-screen TV, is on credit.

I am glad my property is paid for in full, although we do owe a few thousand that my wife insisted that we borrow for some renovations to the house, but otherwise I do almost all my own house repair and maintenance, pretty much my full time job since I retired from school-teaching. 

I had to re-roof the house last year due to storm damage.  The insurance company paid the cost of replacing the original asphalt shingle roof, but I opted instead to replace it with a metal roof, and paid the difference (it was about twice as expensive) out of my own pocket - not on credit.  The roof is guaranteed for 50 years, for whatever that's worth.

Hopefully my pension fund and SS won't go bankrupt before I take the big dirt nap, and hopefully the dollarette will retain at least enough of its value to live on.

I hold some stock in a supermarket chain out in  L.A., along with a mutual fund in an old 401K.  Surprisingly, the stock has held its value (reckon people have to eat), but the mutual fund has lost about 20% since the faeces first came in contact with the fan blades.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015