The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM RADIO MAGAZINE, Complete run on DVD!  (Read 22487 times)
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« on: June 25, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »

This is a real bargain, the full 22 year run of H. R. Magazine @ $4.50 plus $2.68 postage, "buy it now"

I have NO CONNECTION to this EBay seller (MOJAVEBOOKS) and W3JN got in on the first offering of this deal and saved 50 cents but it is still a really good deal on this top of the line magazine from that era...

Oh, he also has a few manuals on a couple popular radios, as well...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:09:13 PM »

Yep, fast shipping and good quality.

Each magazine is a separate .pdf.  The "index" on the DVD connects to a website containing the actual index.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »

public domain??

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:44:55 PM »

good find the early ones are very good reference. The last few years sucked though.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:19:53 PM »

Not public domain, unless something's changed within the last year or so..

they can be bought here unless I mis-read:
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=HRCD

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:29 PM »

Ham Radio Magazine was bought by CQ Publications in 1990. They own all the rights and privileges. They only sell Ham Radio Magazine sets on CD-ROM. ARRL is one of a number of vendors that sell their product.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »

Ham Radio CD-ROM set
-- Ham Radio Magazine was published from March 1968 through June 1990. Now you can enjoy quick and easy access to back issues of this popular magazine! These CD-ROM sets include high quality black-and-white scanned pages, easily read on your computer screen or printed. All the articles, ads, columns and covers are included. Readers will enjoy a wealth of material that spanned the gamut of Amateur Radio technical interests: construction projects, theory, antennas, transmitters, receivers, amplifiers, HF through microwaves, test equipment, accessories, FM, SSB, CW, visual and digital modes.

The complete set covers more than 30,000 pages!

Search--Select--Browse--it's all there!

* search for articles by title and author
    * select specific year and issue
    * browse individual articles and columns

System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 95 or later.

Each set includes four CD-ROMs. © 2001, American Radio Relay League, Inc. Ham Radio Magazine © 1968-1990, CQ Communications, Inc.

Only $59.95 per set:
# Ham Radio CD-ROM 1968-1976 #8381 Add to shopping basket
# Ham Radio CD-ROM 1977-1983 #8403 Add to shopping basket
# Ham Radio CD-ROM 1984-1990 #8411 Add to shopping basket

SAVE $30! when you order the complete set:
# Ham Radio CD-ROM Set (includes all 3 CD-ROM sets) #HRCD -- $149.85

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

Ham Radio Magazine was bought by CQ Publications in 1990. They own all the rights and privileges. They only sell Ham Radio Magazine sets on CD-ROM. ARRL is one of a number of vendors that sell their product.

So if I'm following this thread correctly, the seller of the $4.50 version of this DVD is engaging in an activity that most folks would consider to be illegal ?

--- Post No Bills ---
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »

Yeah, Sam, I guess you could consider it that way but hey, it's still one hellofabuy!!!

Just DO IT!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
K1ZJH

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 08:04:36 PM »

I wonder who owns the rights?  CQ Magazine took over HR, but the ARRL did the magazine scans. (Many of them came from my set and I remember packing them off to ARRL for dissection and scanning.)  I wonder if the ARRL got the  rights for the HR scans when Communications Quarterly was sold to the ARRL to increase their QEX circulation numbers?

Pete k1zjh
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »

I wonder who owns the rights? 
Pete k1zjh

I think Pete covered that in a previous post.  If someone is copying that material and selling it illegally I ain't interested, nor am I interested in related activities such as ripping off musicians by redistributing their legitimate CD's and DVD's, etc, etc.

--- Post No Bills ---
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:04:36 AM »

Ralph,
        Many thanks for the tip on HR Mag. I don't know how he does it for the price (or do I - hi!)

There is only one copy left. The seller isn't the guy you mentioned, but someone called "wolverine-gulo-gulo"
        in Canada.

Is it a bootleg?    

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »

Yeah, Joe,

I saw that listing and I assume you purchased his last copy on that sellers site... His connection is not working right now.

For the seller I listed here you have to go to "advanced searches" and click on "items by seller"  and type in the sellers name "mojavebooks" and you will see the H.R. listing.

There are none left in this listing of 10 at $4.50 plus $2.68 postage; a bit less than the Canadian DVD's ($5.00 + $2.99 post) but apparently from the same PDF files...

To answer your question...  IMHO - YES! But you still can't beat it...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 12:11:45 AM »

Ralph,
        I got the second to last copy, so as far as I know the last one is still available. I'll let you know when I get it. It should be a treasure-trove of good information and construction atricles.

Back in the day, I always considered "HamRadio" mag to be superior to QST due to their construction articles, and various antenna projects they had. It seemed to be more of a "Hands-On" type of mag.

Like the man said: "Don't bellyache - build something" - hi!

Now if only someone would come up with a CD of all of the older issues of CQ mag, and ESPECIALLY "ShortwaveCraft" mag. I have hardcopies of most, but not all issues of the later mag from the 1930's. They have some terrific transmitter+receiver construction articles more geared toward the depression era type "Ham on a budget". I particularly like the UHF long lines type of modulated oscillators like we were talking about the other night on 75M. Very kewl indeed!

As a sidenote, I have a fixed 10W 25K resistor, and 2 ea. 25W 3.5K and 8K sliders, and a couple of nifty small breadslicer tuning condensors you can use with your Hartley that I'll have out to you on Monday. I had company today and unfortunately couldn't make it to the snailmail factory to get them out to you.

If you want to mount the small breadslicer in parallel on top or side of your main tuning cap, do you need any ceramic jackbar stock? Let me know and I'll have the jackbar fairy make a donation to you.

Regards,
           Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 12:41:17 AM »

Joe,

I will more than likely mount the band spread cap on the panel and strap it to the main cap...  No need for jack bars etc...

Thanks in advance for the resistor donation.  I will put the keying/regulator assy on the power supply breadboard and run a patch cable from it to the Hartly.  Gonna put the Osc/PS units up on a shelf here in the shack where they will not be subject to any vibration As that thing is REALLY nasty with any local knocking on the desk, etc...

Okay on the magazine DVD and all.  I suspect CQ is available but more than likely at a price similar to the leagues asking for the HR CD's...Enuf said on that subject...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 03:42:52 AM »

CQ Magazine is not on CD, DVD, or floppies.
However, you can get this:
http://hamcall.net/cq

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 04:15:29 AM »

Pete,
      Many thanks!
      BTW, if you're wondering what I'm doing up at this Godforsaken hour, I'm preparing my "RAK" to listen to "SAQ" in Grimetron Sweden on 17.5KHZ. They're firing up the Alexanderson Alternator at 05:00.

Many thanks again for the dope on CQ mag!
                                                          Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 08:11:36 AM »

Pete, u da man!  Didn't know they were avaialble anywhere in digital form.

I sent 'em an email to see if they'd sell at least a partial set (up to about 1980 or so, when CQ started going to hell).  I'll post their response.

Good on Buckmaster for that - what a great resource!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 02:12:56 PM »

Pete,
      Many thanks!
      BTW, if you're wondering what I'm doing up at this Godforsaken hour, I'm preparing my "RAK" to listen to "SAQ" in Grimetron Sweden on 17.5KHZ. They're firing up the Alexanderson Alternator at 05:00.

Many thanks again for the dope on CQ mag!
                                                          Joe Cro N3IBX

I was up at that time doing Field day in a wet field. It's amazing the things that keep us up at weird hours.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »

Pete, u da man!  Didn't know they were avaialble anywhere in digital form.

I sent 'em an email to see if they'd sell at least a partial set (up to about 1980 or so, when CQ started going to hell).  I'll post their response.

Good on Buckmaster for that - what a great resource!

This stuff has been around for several years; you should get out more Grin
I don't particularly care for the format they put it in for access, but I can understand their motivation.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 08:51:40 PM »

Doesn't look like Buckmaster is interested in selling DVDs of CQ

John:

The problems associated with indexing and the sheer number of DVDs
required has led us to say that we will not be producing CQ on DVDs.

Regards,

Buckmaster Antennas

Anyway I thanked them for having the resource available.

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

Okay,  If you didn't get in on the first few offers of this item by this seller, he has another batch of 10 DVD's on his site...

That's "mojavebooks"... 

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

Not sure how to state this but... 

I've been informed that these DVD's will not be sold anymore... 

Apparently there has been some action taken by the copyright holder and while there may still be a listing for same, this will be the LAST posting for this item from "Mojavebooks"... But, hey, there are other sellers out there still peddeling them!

So, if you want to get a copy, do it NOW!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 07:02:44 AM »

Not sure how to state this but... 

I've been informed that these DVD's will not be sold anymore... 

Apparently there has been some action taken by the copyright holder and while there may still be a listing for same, this will be the LAST posting for this item...

So, if you want to get a copy, do it NOW!

Done, bought mine, saved $145, but I see there is still yet another listed!

When the blackberries are ripe, you pick 'em! Nuff said.
                                                                         Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Searcher144s
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »

I wonder who owns the rights?  CQ Magazine took over HR, but the ARRL did the magazine scans. (Many of them came from my set and I remember packing them off to ARRL for dissection and scanning.)  I wonder if the ARRL got the  rights for the HR scans when Communications Quarterly was sold to the ARRL to increase their QEX circulation numbers?

Pete k1zjh
Here is the rub. He remembers ARRL using his magazines to produce the original pdf files and they claim copyright. That copyright applies to the CD format only. Not the original material. They also claim copyright to the magazine through the CQ mag purchase yet records indicate ownership to the "name" rights only. CQ did not produce the original content. The content itself seems to be public domain. No organization or individual seems to have claimed copyright to the DVD format itself and it is being considered fair game for copying by whoever. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015