The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:48:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM RADIO MAGAZINE, Complete run on DVD!  (Read 22486 times)
W1UJR
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »

Here is the reply from the seller.

"Dear w1ujr,

Bruce,
Sorry to go into this again but it really bugs me. I've done more research again. Like I said, ARRL produced the original pdf files on a set of CDs from loaned magazine issues from their membership. This does not make a copyright! The DVD seems to have been first produced by that Canadian eBayer who erected a website for cross reference which is still up. He first copied from the CD set to 2 DVDs and later used compression to reduce to 1 DVD. That is the source for all the rest and it is not copyrighted either. The original Magazine articles themselves are where the copyright lies and since the original organization has disbanded there is nobody to hold a copyright. They may have sold the rights to the Magazine name but they cannot transfer their implied copyright to those issues to someone who never produced them in the first place. That is why the files are public domain and fair game to all who care to copy them in any format. Tom.
"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 07:59:37 PM »

CQ Magazine took over HR, but the ARRL did the magazine scans. (Many of them came from my set and I remember packing them off to ARRL for dissection and scanning.) 

Did they re-bind the magazines and return them to you after scanning?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WQ9E

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »

Too bad the QST scans are not anywhere close to the quality of what was done with Ham Radio magazine.  I bought the QST CD-Roms to have a complete set but the quality of the scans are truly horrible for a lot of the issues.   I understand that ARRL is putting the old QST's up on their site but are they using new scans or are they just going to transfer the same low quality stuff that is on many of the CD's?

Rodger WQ9E
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 08:59:53 PM »

Just out of curiosity, I decided to open some of the PDFs on the ARRL web's QST Archive.   I opend a couple files from 2004, and they were crystal clear, even when expanded full width of a 21 inch monitor.  Very sharp text and graphics.

I then tried some files from 2000, 1995, 1990, 1985, etc.  Seems that all of these are very poor scans.  They are not even clear at low magnification.  When expanding to actual size on screen, the text is very coarse and pixelized.  Very hard on the eyes, not a pleasure to read or view at all.  I am disappointed.  Guess I keep all the heavy and space consuming hardcopy.

Here's the link:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/09/09/10322/?nc=1

Related thread:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=17026.msg117823#msg117823

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WQ9E

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 10:06:54 PM »

Rick,

Thanks, it looks like they took the easy way out by using the existing scans.  It would indicate that the individual who was in charge of this project doesn't think there is much value in the information contained in the early QST's (only fair since it matches my opinion of the value of the recent QST's and ARRL publications).

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »

Rodger, I found this disclaimer in the search window for the QST archive:

"Need a higher quality reprint or scan? Some of the scans contained within the periodical archive were produced with older imaging technology. If you require a higher quality reprint or scan, please contact the ARRL Technical Information Service for assistance. Photocopies are $3 for ARRL members, $5 for nonmembers. For members, TIS can send the photocopies immediately and include an invoice. Nonmembers must prepay. The availability of past articles from QST is a great membership benefit that will save a nonmember $5 just by joining ARRL. Details are available on the ARRL TIS page or email photocopy@arrl.org."

It appears to me they took the easy way out and just placed the content of their inferior scans online.  But if you need something usable, you can still PAY for their scan or copy service.  They do what makes the most profit for them, not what serves the membership.  Truly a non-profit organization???

I found one article on modulator design that delves into using cathode followers for drivers of AB2 modders, and wanted to study it as I design the modifications for my Valiant.  It is entitled "A 40 Watt Modulator with Cathode-Coupled Driver" by William J. Lattin, W4JRW in the April 1947 issue.  Good technical data, but to be useful I had to drag out the original issue.

Another thing I found with their search tool is the keyword search is very poor, if the word is not in the title, it will probably not find it.  The old issues are still the best way to find your information!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »

It appears to me they took the easy way out and just placed the content of their inferior scans online.  But if you need something usable, you can still PAY for their scan or copy service.  They do what makes the most profit for them, not what serves the membership.  Truly a non-profit organization???

I found one article on modulator design that delves into using cathode followers for drivers of AB2 modders, and wanted to study it as I design the modifications for my Valiant.  It is entitled "A 40 Watt Modulator with Cathode-Coupled Driver" by William J. Lattin, W4JRW in the April 1947 issue.  Good technical data, but to be useful I had to drag out the original issue.

I just downloaded the Lattin article and the text was perfectly readable, the entire schematic and parts list were clear, and the charts in the various Figures were also completely readable. The pictures are typical, fair to poor quality, since the sheets were scanned in a fairly low resolution. Remember, had to fit on a CD. DVD's didn't come on the scene until around 1995.

Another thing I found with their search tool is the keyword search is very poor, if the word is not in the title, it will probably not find it.  The old issues are still the best way to find your information!
From the ARRL Index Search Help area:
"Note that this page searches an index of articles, not the text of the articles. There is no full-text search of these articles available.

The most commonly used search is one by title words and/or keywords. To search by title/keyword, simply enter the word(s) you want to search for into the Title words/keywords field. Those articles that contain all of the words you entered (in any order) in the article title or the article's keywords field will be listed. (Note: The keywords field is not displayed in the listing.) The words you enter are converted to their root words, if any, and the index is searched for words with the same root."

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1ZJH

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

CQ Magazine took over HR, but the ARRL did the magazine scans. (Many of them came from my set and I remember packing them off to ARRL for dissection and scanning.) 

Did they re-bind the magazines and return them to you after scanning?

Naw, they were discarded.  We (the folks who donated the magazines) received free CDs. I
was out of room to store the magazines anyway.

Pete
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015