The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:54:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 [22] 23 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gasoline Madness;When to Stop  (Read 354040 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #525 on: August 01, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »

I purchased gas for a 1.93/gal today. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2008, 08:29:57 PM »

Down to $3.67 here. With my added grocery-gas discount, I'll be able to get it for about $3.00 a gallon.
ka3zlr
« Reply #527 on: August 01, 2008, 08:32:35 PM »

Around our Parts Pittsburgh Pa. I've seen 3.85 3.87 3.89 3.91 just depending who and where Sheetz etc.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #528 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »

That's gasoline in the USA but not world wide demand for petroleum.

But weren't we talking about gazoline in the USA?

Gas is down to $3.74 a gallon here. Those damn speculators are driving the price down! How am I to make any money on my evil Big Oil stocks this way?

I paid about $3.70/gal to fill up this morning.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #529 on: August 01, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »

Could this be a typo???  Where do I go to get gas at $1.93 a gal?  Worth the drive, no matter how far!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #530 on: August 01, 2008, 11:21:18 PM »

Yes, but the price in the USA is determined by the world petroleum market. In case you have noticed, crude oil prices have dropped.

That's gasoline in the USA but not world wide demand for petroleum.

But weren't we talking about gazoline in the USA?

Gas is down to $3.74 a gallon here. Those damn speculators are driving the price down! How am I to make any money on my evil Big Oil stocks this way?

I paid about $3.70/gal to fill up this morning.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #531 on: August 02, 2008, 12:08:02 AM »

Its down to 4.059 here  in sorycuze

klc

What? Me worry?
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #532 on: August 02, 2008, 12:27:17 AM »

$4.79 for diesel today, YEAA!!! Maybe now I can get my lights turned back on:P

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #533 on: August 02, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »

Could this be a typo???  Where do I go to get gas at $1.93 a gal?  Worth the drive, no matter how far!

It probably comes in gaseous form.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #534 on: August 02, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »

lol, right now it's 15 cents per cubic foot of vapor (@75degF)

1G Gasoline= approx 26cf of vapor (@75degF)  Grin

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KA1ZGC
« Reply #535 on: August 02, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »

Personal attacks now? Howz come?

Spare me, Bill. If you considered any of what I wrote a personal attack, then you must spend a lot of time on the defensive. Of course, you know better, you just don't want to discuss the point I made. Hence the defensive tactics.

I don't care for diversionary tactics in place of discussing an issue. I'll attack the living bejeezus out of those. Always have, always will. Taking that personally is your prerogative, just not a particularly constructive one.

It's not me flaming anyone personally, it's you, sir, unable to discuss a contentious matter without losing it.

Now you're just making things up, Bill. Name one time in this thread I "lost it". Seriously.

I wasn't the one who threatened to pull the entire thread because someone said something I didn't like being asked to think about. That strikes me more like the inability "to discuss a contentious matter without losing it" that you seem so eager to smear me with. Notice which of the two of us is simply stating our opinion, and which is angrily levelling accusations at the other with a sarcastic "sir"?

Chill out and think about it, OK? This is only a discussion on the internet.

My point exactly. I'm only asking people to think. That does not constitute flaming, personal attacks, or anything of the kind; even though it's popular for people to use that particular exit strategy in place of thinking about or discussing something they may not agree with, the following quote being a perfect case in point:

Again, I'm sincerely sorry for being incapable of understanding your thoughts.

If you'd read what I actually wrote, you'd see that the root of my disappointment was in the fact that you are extremely capable of thinking, rationalizing, and discussing an issue; but chose instead to ridicule and threaten to take the thread down.

I am well within my rights to be disappointed in someone choosing to take the low road when I know they are capable of better, and well within my rights to express that disappointment, even here.

The fact that you are angry at me means I at least got you to think about something you didn't want to. That's progress, and probably about as much as we're going to get out of this conversation. I made my point, I don't need you to like it.

If you'd like to fly off the handle at me some more, that's okay too. I'm quite used to it.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #536 on: August 02, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »

Newsflash: Price of gas still going down.

Film at eleven.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #537 on: August 02, 2008, 02:50:30 PM »

Newsflash: Price of gas still going down.

When it gets back down to less than $2/gallon, I'll go out and buy myself a SUV to use to run to the store whenever I need a 12-pack of beer or a quart of milk.  They are almost giving them away now, so maybe I'll be able to find one before the price goes back up.

- - -
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #538 on: August 02, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »

I may be imagining it, but I swear traffic on I-79's speeded back up again.  Few, other than trucks are going much less than 65 now.  Seemed like only a couple of weeks ago that everyone was going slower.

After merging at my usual '08 crippled speed, I was just about blown off the road. Sort of chased up to 80 and was still passed by others so I know it wasn't 'personal.'  So I lowered back to 65 and had a really comfortable (everybody else does the work) drive.

Just a small drop in price seems to be significant psychologically.
Here we go again....

RICK  *W3RSW*
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #539 on: August 02, 2008, 05:30:38 PM »

And...Some politicos are pushing for the return of the nationwide 55 MPH speed limit to save fuel..Break out the CB rig and the detector..Those days were murder in the West...Doing !-80 across Nebraska at 55 was insanity. Took nine hours then, it takes about six to seven hours now.

Now that I think about it, that could be a political bargaining chip. "Either we open up more areas to drilling, or we're gonna bring back the double-nickels.."

"Lead-Foot"

ka3zlr
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2008, 06:28:20 PM »

Oh i don't Imagine that, but if more is paid towards the contact areas that meet the road some gain will also be seen. Even recharging the tires with nitrogen is a plus.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #541 on: August 02, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »

Yeah, I can see how the West hates mandated, federal speeds. I used to drive 100+ in Nevada (NTS to Vegas) before they had speed limits in the '60's.  Birdwell (Div. of SSC/Raytheon) pleaded with us to slow down to 85 or so in the co. pickups to save tires, gas 'n stuff.  Yeah, we almost did.  um hmmm.

- Where did I recently read that 65 mph was the new 55 as far as fuel / milage efficiency for conservation goes.?  Jeeze this thread's so long it might have been here.  Huh

The reasoning was that modern cars (since the 70's) are more streamlined, lighter weight and most now equipped with fuel injection.

Given that power consumed approaches a cubic function of impact into the wind for a given 'frontal' area, and of course, vehicle weight during the acceleration phase, bearing friction, etc. and that personal transport has gravitated towards giant SUV's and pick-em-ups, I have my doubts but if I find the reference I'll pass it along.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »

I nearly got into a heated argument with someone today, when I said that as long as gas prices keep going up...  They replied, 'oh they are going down now'   I said that a 15cent drop after a 80cent increase is still going up in my book.  She was adamant that gas was getting cheaper, so what problem... 

I gave up.  Of course, I was in Vermont at the time...   Roll Eyes

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »

Like the old Stalinist strategy of two steps forwards and one step backwards.

Tighten the clamps on the old BA's until you feel excruciating agony, then loosen them until it is merely uncomfortable, and you will swear that it is pure ecstasy.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #544 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »

The reasoning was that modern cars (since the 70's) are more streamlined, lighter weight and most now equipped with fuel injection.

Not to mention current day cars have vastly superior suspensions, steering, brakes and tires compared to years ago - much safer at higher speeds.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »

don't worry H.P. Carley is on the job
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2008, 11:29:14 PM »

chevy silverado 1500 4-door pickup gets 20MPG at 60 and 16MPG at 80. It's governed at 99MPH. I'd lke to see the left lane have a minimum speed limit of 70MPH and stiff fines for offenders.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka3zlr
« Reply #547 on: August 09, 2008, 06:09:08 AM »

And if we printed our own currency, Published with real tangible ballast, alot of these matters would seem trivial and disperse.

And the cycle will continue over and over as the pursers will.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #548 on: August 09, 2008, 09:24:03 PM »

Politicians and campaigners seem keen to paint the motorist as evil, when all we really want to do is get around.

We can be our own worst enemies though. Obsessed with using our cars as mobile status symbols, falsely believing that driving fast equates to virility, lavishing precious time and money on pointlessly extravagant - the world of motoring is full of potentially sinful behaviour. So where should we look for guidance?

The seven deadly sins of motoring

- - -
WA1GFZ

« Reply #549 on: August 11, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »

please spalin this to a dumb guy. Exon Mobile drills a well and hits oil. This oil is pumped to be refined in their cracking plant. How is that price fixed to the opig price? Does the opig price just get passed on as an excuse? I'm trying to understand how 20% of our inported oil drives the profit margin to big oil.
Pages: 1 ... 21 [22] 23 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015