The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:39:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the "Ghetto" expanded to 3705??? What's happening down there?  (Read 19514 times)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 09:42:34 PM »

The slow scan guys are not the problem. They operate higher around 3710 and are not a factor. They always are up there on Saturday's. Of course an AM QSO and a Slow scan QSO within 5 kcs of each other will no doubt cause a bit of adjacent channel interference. And two AM QSO's wiithin 5 kcs of each other will do that too.

The problem was deliberate interference.

Actually we were creating more interference than they were, just amongst ourselves. Trying to break into that mob Saturday night was a tough one!

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »

The slow scan guys are not the problem.

I disagree. I've been deliberately QRMed by them numerous times in the past few months. Saturday night was just the latest time.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »

Same situation for myself and others who operate the 80m portion regularly. If you're operating anywhere near or between 3710-3715 when they decide to come on, they will intentionally jam you. Brent has copied their pictures sent on top of our signals, after our group has been in QSO for several hours. And we know they can hear us by their comments.

Channelized mentality.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
AF9J
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »

Steve and Todd are right.  For instance woe unto you if try calling CQ on 14.320 Mhz.  I learned this the hard way back in the 80s, when I got my General.  The SSTVers will fire up on top of you, even if 14.230's not in use, when you're calling CQ.  The situation has existed on that freq. for a very long time.  As far as they're concerned, it's THEIR freq.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if they feel the same way about 3.710 MHz.  I've heard SSTVer's use the complaint that "you have all of those other freqs. you can use for phone, the least you could do, is stay off of the one freq. we use."   They get very "dead air group" oriented about "their" freqs.

Ellen - AF9J
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 10:09:13 AM »

I guess their VFOs don't work. Or they are just stupid and inconsiderate.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

...Not to diminish the role of the inbred, we still tend to be our worst enemy for the most part, or at least give them way too much help. The biggest issue is lack of AM activity in general and big signals in particular. When there was a regular presence of stout AM stations below 3800, there weren't many issues like this because everyone could quiet the receiver. This was still true a year after the band expansion. It's only started to become a real problem over the last few months, mainly due to SSB groups using the frequencies we aren't using, then laying claim to them instead of finding an open frequency when others are using the one they want...

So, bottom line: use it or lose it. And I agree entirely with Paul, Brian and others: Move around, don't play the same ownership games as the idiots. And don't publish frequencies, times, etc here on 'fone unless you enjoy inviting the 'tards to play. The less said for them to feed off, the better. And as Done say, clear-cut cases of intentional interference should be recorded and reported, but not every little piss and moan report.

I do think we should try to maintain the expectation of AM presence in the vicinity of 3705, but without trying to claim we "own" the frequency, because of the longstanding use of the frequency in Europe and the possibility of transatlantic AM operation, now that US subband restrictions have been relaxed.

I don't mind sharing any frequency with other operators or groups, but if I am on a frequency first, I expect others to respect my presence and find an alternative frequency.

But I have found that the "Is the frequency in use?" tactic to be self-defeating, because dead-air group members who are guarding their channel tend to respond "yes" even if no-one has transmitted for a half-hour or more.  I prefer to monitor for a few minutes, or make a short "test" transmission and indicate that I am listening on the frequency.  It is too easy for dead-air operators to passively reply in the affirmative to the phone equivalent of QRL?, and you are immediately on the defensive the moment you transmit.

Technically, a dead-air group has no claim to the use of a frequency if none of its members have transmitted and identified with a callsign during the preceding 10 minutes, per the FCC ID rule.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »

The intentional QRMing in the "new" part of the band was probably inevitable.  It is not what frequency you are on, it is just the fact that you are on AM that prompts this type of behavior.  We not only receive this type of harassment in the so-called AM window or "ghetto" region, we will have to deal with it anywhere in the band that we chose to operate.   The best way to deal with it is still just ignore it and strap away!  Persistence will win out over this stuff.  When they realize that we are not going to give-up or stop using our favorite mode, they will eventually lose interest. 

I do believe that we have won a number of battles, if not the war.  AM has become (once again) a widely accepted mode on the bands and seems to be gaining strength in numbers every day. 

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
ve6pg

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »

...what is happening is what all we Canadians dreaded, and feared. it used to be very quiet down there. just us.. no qwarm, carriers, jerks, it WAS nice...i guess it is true, the level of license does not dictate one's intelligence. at least we Canadians can operate phone down to 3500kc, without these idiots (for now)...  ..tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
K1MVP
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »

Same situation for myself and others who operate the 80m portion regularly. If you're operating anywhere near or between 3710-3715 when they decide to come on, they will intentionally jam you. Brent has copied their pictures sent on top of our signals, after our group has been in QSO for several hours. And we know they can hear us by their comments.

Channelized mentality.

Todd,
Had a "gut feeling" that this behavior would just "expand" after the phone expansion privileges were
ok`ed by the FCC.

The original rationale for the 3880-3885 ghetto where guys were "limited" for AM and thus were
forced to fight for a little "turf" was supposed to be "cured" by the phone expansion on 75.

Looks like it just made a "bigger yard" with a larger fence for many of these guys to "play"
and wreak havoc.
So much for 75 and its notorious reputation,--"more space", just meant "more play".

73, Rene, K1MVP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

Welcome Back, Rene.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1MVP
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »

Welcome Back, Rene.  Wink

Tnx Todd,
I do get on cw, lately and have even met a "newbie" on cw (no code general) who is doing his best
to learn cw,--now THAT IS encouraging,IMO.
So my hope is being restored after all in the future of HR.
Now if 75 meters could be "cleaned up" from the troublemakers,--THAT would really be great.

73, Rene
P.S.,
I may even finish up my 100 watt homebrew rig, and put it on AM,(if I can find a CVM-2)
or equivalent mod transformer.

AF9J
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »

Hi Rene,

Long time no see. Smiley  The Viking 2 is just about ready to rock with the SX-96.

Ellen - AF9J
K1MVP
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »

Hi Rene,

Long time no see. Smiley  The Viking 2 is just about ready to rock with the SX-96.

Ellen - AF9J

Hi Ellen,
Been catching up on home projects(and also HR projects too).
The Viking 2 should make a real nice "match" with the ol "96".

Forgot how long ago I sold it to you(time does fly) and have since acquired a couple of BC-348`s
that I have recapped and restored,--and they are fairly nice receivers once they are aligned
and running right.

They are not a "390" but then again,--ya can get one for a lot less $$$.

Hope to get back on AM sometime this spring,--hopefully 40 meters will get better.

73`s,-- nice to hear from you, Rene --K1MVP

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015