The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:57:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the "Ghetto" expanded to 3705??? What's happening down there?  (Read 19534 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: February 23, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »

I was on or about 3705 with a bunch of other folks last night (Friday), and WOW, it was worse there than in the "Ghetto" up on 3885.  INTERFERENCE, INTERFERENCE, INTERFERENCE - and MALICIOUS interference.  Slop buckets going 3kHz up and causing problems, on-frequency jamming, CW, noise generators....

Is this new or have I been missing all the "fun"?  That's a nice part of the band in which to operate, but the "ghetto elements" appear to have moved in.

Tongue

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »

Hi Steve,

In spite of my broadcast intermod problems with my receivers, I can still occasionally hear stuff around 3705 kHz. Yes, it's happend before.  I've heard it at least once or twice before.  I think one time, it was Brent, W1IA being interfered with.  The other time, Don K4KYV, may have been subjected to it.  Unfortunately, a higher class license doesn't necessarily mean the individual is a better ham.   Also, as has been commented on, it seems that some of the troublemakers that cause so much grief on 3885, have followed us down to 3705, and even 3710, now that they know more of us are operating down there.

Ellen - AF9J
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »

Steve I hope you took advantage of the resource we set up to make recordings and send them to Brian WA5AM or myself.

This was announced a few months ago, please review and help us document.

The offer is open to all who are complaining. Take action and don't provide them with jolly on here.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:45:46 AM »

You can't fix stupid Steve.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »

Listened to the activity last night, Sounded like 3.710 was a battle ground. Still the stations were heard throught the pathetic attempts at jamming. Meanwhile the ghetto was deserted, except for some weak carriers Called CQ from time to time, and did get a few QSO's on 3885 or so. No Big Guns like down on 3710/05.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:34:29 AM »

It's sad that this stuff happens, as I have been a part of great QSO's with stations all over the U.S. without the intentional nastiness. Must have caught the jammers off guard. This is why I hesitate moving the RA250 to 75M. 3705 was so nice for a few months.
Phred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »

There is a dead-air group, an offshoot from the 3892 crew, that has been trying to squat on the frequency ever since they discovered the attempts at transatlantic AM.

I have run into similar hassles from those and other dead-air groups on 3725, 3710, 3690, 3685 and elsewhere.  If the frequency is not in use when you start, just ignore them and turn up the wick if you have the capability. 

Most of the time there is very little QRM "down below".  I usually operate with my receiver in 8 kHz selectivity position.  I have had many great QSO's on AM with stations I had never contacted before, and get frequent replies from SSB ops who are trying for the first time to operate their transceivers in AM mode.  Most of the time, they end the QSO with a positive impression of AM, and a few have indicated interest in returning to AM more regularly.

"Ain't a slopbucket in North America can bother me" - W8VYZ

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »

trying to squat on the frequency

Is someone crystal controlled?

Just like 3890 or wherever, it could become the same bad habit NOT to move around down low.

Clear spot, it's yours.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »

There is only one way to deal with this, strap and ignore. Sending recordings crying to the FCC a waste of time. They have better things to do than play mommy to a bunch of WAAAAAA. And I bet the losers monitor here hoping to get press and send just as many recordings to the FCC with their version of WAAAA.. Watching them on the spectrum display I see they park themselves 2.3 to 3 KHz away. So what will the FCC really do beside limit our bandwidth. I think these losers are parking next to us just to raise the BW issue.
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 04:39:09 PM »

There is only one way to deal with this, strap and ignore. Sending recordings crying to the FCC a waste of time. They have better things to do than play mommy to a bunch of WAAAAAA. And I bet the losers monitor here hoping to get press and send just as many recordings to the FCC with their version of WAAAA.. Watching them on the spectrum display I see they park themselves 2.3 to 3 KHz away. So what will the FCC really do beside limit our bandwidth. I think these losers are parking next to us just to raise the BW issue.

I disagree with the idea that the FCC (Hollingsworth) will not do anything...  And crying to the FCC is NOT what we are doing either, so where did that come from?  So far, we have not submitted anything, as no one has contributed anything to speak of TO submit. 

It's all in the way it's presented to Riley that makes the difference, and recordings are one thing he favors most, and I know that for a fact, and have proof of it.  He will take action, but not on frivolous notions, and kluged up complaints with nothing to back them.

I do agree that we don't need to vent these complaints on a public forum.  It is counter productive to say the least, and all it serves is to give the culprits time to prepare for a defense ...if there is any.

BTW, I have had many communications with Riley Hollingsworth since he obtained his current position with the FCC, and he does have a lot of interest in stopping crap like this.  He is an attorney, and attorneys do have to have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to present, or pursue a case.

Thanks,

Brian / wa5am

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »

There is only one way to deal with this, strap and ignore.

By the way; "strap and ignore" depends on the circumstances.  If you are there first, go ahead, but if THEY are there first, I would not advise anyone to do that, I don't care what mode you operate.  We don't want to send the wrong message.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:59:30 PM »

About the only thing I would recommend sending to the FCC, and which WILL bring action, is if you happen to get them on tape or MP3, clearly identified and openly admitting to deliberately interfering with other amateurs, or if you catch them on another frequency conspiring to interfere with an ongoing contact.  Just sending in one lone recording of a frequency dispute isn't likely to do anything but get the FCC people annoyed at everyone involved - both victim and perpetrator, and could encourage the rulemakers to look more seriously at the next bandwidth petition. But if multiple recordings of specific miscreants are archived and multiple sound clips are sent in one batch at the appropriate time, this just might result in enforcement action.

"Strap and ignore" should be the primary strategy.  Above all, avoid crying, or pissing 'n moaning about the QRM, over the air.  Of utmost importance, I would advise carefully listening to make sure that the frequency is not in use, before making an initial transmission.  My mode of operation is to monitor what sounds like a clear frequency for several minutes, and if no activity is heard, then make a call or test transmission.  Asking "is the frequency in use?" is an invitation for members of any dead-air group lurking about on the frequency to reply that yes, it is.  Just having the receiver on, monitoring a frequency while doing something else in the shack but not actively engaged in a contact, is NOT using a frequency.  I make it clear up front that I do not recognise dead-air groups' claims of ownership of any "channel".

OTOH, I consider a frequency up for immediate grabs if members of an ongoing QSO all sign off and make clear their intention of closing down or QSY'ing.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1IA

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »

Hi Steve,

In spite of my broadcast intermod problems with my receivers, I can still occasionally hear stuff around 3705 kHz. Yes, it's happend before.  I've heard it at least once or twice before.  I think one time, it was Brent, W1IA being interfered with.  The other time, Don K4KYV, may have been subjected to it.  Unfortunately, a higher class license doesn't necessarily mean the individual is a better ham.   Also, as has been commented on, it seems that some of the troublemakers that cause so much grief on 3885, have followed us down to 3705, and even 3710, now that they know more of us are operating down there.

Ellen - AF9J

Oddly was working the European AM stations on 3705 kHz's and there was an adjacent peanut gallery; but I had the array pointed out NE and they weren't doing any harm.
I am looking forward to more stateside stations joining in. Steve WB3HUZ, Ken W2DTC and others have joined in the past.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »

Steve!

Ofcourse you are all wellcome on 3705.
We using many years these freq. for AM in Europa.
Yesterday evening again good qso with Brent on 3705.

Hope to meet you soon in qso on 3705,

Henk
PE1MPH Wink
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 08:02:22 AM »

I was listening to you guys first on 3717. I noticed a bunch of dimwits had zero-beat your signals and was working USB to boot. I turned on the rice box which has a nice panadapter to see the trash. I scooted up to 40 to see if there were any prospects up there but to no avail. So I came back down and only heard 'Donny & Dimwit' on 3717 and found the AM QSO had shifted to 3710. "Excellent!" I thought to myself. I have a rock for the MK-214D and can easily tune up there. I got everything in line when I realized 1) there were a bunch of stations already on freq., 2) those that were talking were P&Ming about both the QRMfest on 160 and the 'Donny & Dimwit' show, 3) about 2 other stations were trying to break-in, (VJB,HUZ), but were covered 4) the break-ins were so fast that you had about 5 stations talking at the same time. A cacophony of hetrodynes ensued. Now, let me throw this disclaimer out there, I'm not a break-in type of guy, even though the MK-214 is equipped with it, (hence why I wanted to use it), also, I like roundtables but when they get over 4, I'm usually the first one to bail. But, I guarantee you that the previously aforemention people lacking brain cells, were probably laughing at the chaos provided by our own group. This is not intended to be a drive-by nor sour grapes on my part but as a little reminder that there are others listening.
(Sorry for the old buzzard)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »

Unfortunately, AM qsos are always fair game if you are a knuckle dragging ssb operator. It doesnt matter where you are, we are gonna get qwermed. It is an unfortunate fact of life if you are an AMer. Unfortunately this is made worse by the bottom of the cycle operating condx we are all stuck with and everyone trying to find a little "piece of heaven" on 75/80. If you were there first,  quietly QRO and totally ignore their presence. If they cant get their jollies jamming you, they will eventually go away.  STRAP AND IGNORE!!! That is all the more incentive to be able to put out as big of a signal as you can! Its nice to have the horsepower when you need it.

Last night things pretty much settled down after the path to Europe closed dowm and the French SSB cornholetesters faded away. They are even more arrogant than the American inbred SSB qwermers!!

After the French qwermtesters faded away the band settled down into a great night of radio!! Big signals, great people, and great fun!! It was wild and wooly super fast break-in,
stopping just short of human sacrifice!! The AMers were definately in rare form last night!
Definately not for the weak at heart!  My sides are still sore from laughing. All in all it was a great session of late night radio last night on 3.710!

IIRC, it was Myself, WB3HUZ, WA3VJB, W3JN, W2JBL, W1IA, N3JUH, KA1KAQ, WA1QIX, WD8BIL, WA2PJP, KD3CN, AB3AL, WB2LTO, WB2GCR, and prolly a few others that my fuzzy head is forgetting. 

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k3zrf

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

'Donny & Dimwit' 

My father used the same term for some family members and oddly behaved the same Grin

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2JBL

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »

that was a good show on 3708 or wherever we were last night('cause you cotton pickin' AMer's can never get on the same frequency). Darwin awards to the guys on 3705 USB with the slow scan, and the total moron Frenchie contester who after Steve told him to hit the road offered this reply: "thank you very much for your consideration. CQ contest CQ contest CQ contest". and thanks to all for putting up with my FMemmy ARC-5 and 811 linyar. sure was fun! so the Ghetto moves down the band and us Po' Am'ers are still the NI%%$RS relegated to the back of the ham radio bus. same crap, different frequency...Damn i love ham radio!
WA3VJB
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:21 AM »

AMer's can never get on the same frequenc

Your rig did a pretty good job of averaging out a zero beat with all of us, from time to time.

I wish my rig had a DFO option like yours.  That was very effective.

"Running WM here, that's Wobbulation Modulation, caw maw"

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07:15 AM »

Give the guys with slow scan TV credit. They are the ones that usually sit at 3710~3711. At least they demonstrated some bit of courtesy by moving instead of sitting right on top of you.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »

The HP3325 would make a perfect SBE source. Set it up as a slow sweep...a KHz or so wide.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »

Just a few quick things:

- We were there first, 'HUZ, 'JN and others having found a clear frequency sometime in the late afternoon and activity continued into the evening (I joined in sometime around 5:30 PM)

- Frequency ownership issues combined with dislike of AM are behind it (lack of viable brain cells playing the largest role)

- Acknowledging it on the air does no good and in fact, gives the idiots what they desire: attention, and verification that they are somehow bothering us.

We moved down to 3710 not because we couldn't hear each other, more to have a clean frequency without the annoyance of the TV fools. We were followed. They have zero regard for anyone who operates on or near a frequency they claim as their own, and have no problem with jamming and other childish crap. 4 and 8 Land's best and brightest at work. Nevermind that the frequency was in use and had been for hours.

Not to diminish the role of the inbred, we still tend to be our worst enemy for the most part, or at least give them way too much help. The biggest issue is lack of AM activity in general and big signals in particular. When there was a regular presence of stout AM stations below 3800, there weren't many issues like this because everyone could quiet the receiver. This was still true a year after the band expansion. It's only started to become a real problem over the last few months, mainly due to SSB groups using the frequencies we aren't using, then laying claim to them instead of finding an open frequency when others are using the one they want. Some SSB ops are quite cordial and move to another frequency after calling on sked or such. Many others, not so. And we all know what corntesters are like.  Roll Eyes

So, bottom line: use it or lose it. And I agree entirely with Paul, Brian and others: Move around, don't play the same ownership games as the idiots. And don't publish frequencies, times, etc here on 'fone unless you enjoy inviting the 'tards to play. The less said for them to feed off, the better. And as Done say, clear-cut cases of intentional interference should be recorded and reported, but not every little piss and moan report. I think that's the gist of what Paul and Brian put together for the sound files.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 03:23:58 PM »

Only if you consider 1 kHz below and on USB not right on top.

Give the guys with slow scan TV credit. They are the ones that usually sit at 3710~3711. At least they demonstrated some bit of courtesy by moving instead of sitting right on top of you.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »

I'm sure these losers monitor here
W2JBL

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »

Gary was right a few posts back "you can't fix stupid". happy you liked the ARC-5 Paul. i have a max SBE option available for that rig not wired in just yet too- switch the VFO to from regulated 250 to 300 unregulated and hit then also hit baseline a bit. in testing it would swing like a BC-375 on Crack when i did that. i have also confirmed in testing that most ricebox auto notch filters are too slow to keep up with that setup. and who can touch me doing that? after all it's a gennie WW-II "legacy" transmitter!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015