The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 03:13:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone Discussion on E-Ham  (Read 5054 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: February 28, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

http://www.eham.net/articles/18669

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:59:05 PM »

Interesting article.

Reminds me of when I used to tape my voice, plug it into the transmitter and then grab a portable SW rc'vr while walking away from the house far enough away to get out of the near field...   or until the distortion of overdriving the shak-o-rack died down enough to hear a decent signal.  Amazing what those little radios do on good dynamic phones.  Anyway, the coloration of the recorder itself never entered my mind.

I used to hate the sound of my own taped voice.  These days I find it vaguely familiar.. heh, heh.

I've tried enough mikes to know that there are vast differences and coloration .. a lot of fiigure skating judgement if'n you ask me in a lot of reviews.  My once 'golden' ears are long gone so everything sounds either a little better or highly distorted.  Not much inbetween.  So I seem to go for a crisper, balanced across the spectrum sound.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K3ZS

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »

I listened to the demos in this article.   It's good proof that expensive mikes are a waste of money on SSB.    I have heard better sounding audio on SSB but it usually is a result of processing and not the mike.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »

I never like the sound of my voice either.   I played in bands and those who I played along with always encouraged me to provide back up vocals to do lead vocals. They said I sounded OK but I was always reluctant because I thought I always sounded dorky. And I still think I sound dorky and nasaly.

Interesting article.

Reminds me of when I used to tape my voice, plug it into the transmitter and then grab a portable SW rc'vr while walking away from the house far enough away to get out of the near field...   or until the distortion of overdriving the shak-o-rack died down enough to hear a decent signal.  Amazing what those little radios do on good dynamic phones.  Anyway, the coloration of the recorder itself never entered my mind.

I used to hate the sound of my own taped voice.  These days I find it vaguely familiar.. heh, heh.

I've tried enough mikes to know that there are vast differences and coloration .. a lot of fiigure skating judgement if'n you ask me in a lot of reviews.  My once 'golden' ears are long gone so everything sounds either a little better or highly distorted.  Not much inbetween.  So I seem to go for a crisper, balanced across the spectrum sound.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AF9J
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »

Join the club Bob.

I used to cringe whenever I heard the playbacks of me singing during gigs.

Ellen - AF9J
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »

He has a lot of percussive problems on those recordings, Powerful P's, things like that.   Some  recordings are just awful.   Some are just bad.   Only a couple are OK, like the first one, the C2 six inches away.   I wonder if the people listening are listening on good earphones or your average computer speakers.

The article he references "It's not your microphone -- it's you"   missed the big point.   It's not just how you talk.   It's what you say.   Inane conversation even beautifully reproduced is still numbing.  My advice would be find something interesting to say.  If you just can't think of anything read a newspaper.   Amazing, amusing things happen every day.   Why just today ...

WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »

Inane conversation even beautifully reproduced is still numbing.

Well said ! (well written ?)

Just the other day, and posted among threads on here, I worked an old timer who didn't sound so good on AM but he sure was interesting.

Someone coined the phrase "content is king*," and it's so true.

Maybe WIK and the other guy should spurn any QSO involving boring people and other losers, as a way to raise awareness and a higher quality of conversation, a-hehnh !

*It is essential to recognize that all content is a form of communication, and the quality of content depends not only on what is communicated and how, but also on whom it is communicated to. For example, the missile knows where it is at all times. This content forms the basis of a universally interesting QSO, situational audio quality notwithstanding.

http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/guidance.wav
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:11 PM »

audio n mike discussions bout ssb are funny. of course, I've never used anything but a D-104 in 22 years. I'm funny too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015