The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:28:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11 Yr Old EXTRA  (Read 18283 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »

40 years later, I still remember W2OYs words of encouragement on 75 meters.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »

Right On Ellen,
Dissing an eleven year old girl on how she came about her license
is beneath contempt.  After all, the question pool and the league
made up of aging boomers made the ? pool.  Not her concern. I wish her well
but some of us just want to have HF all for our aging, bloated, hemorrhoid,
enlarged prostrate, heart condition, cataracts, etc. selves.  Which is likely much of what your going to hear about on the air in 10 years if some kids don't join our ranks.

--45 yrs. young at heart HR toddler.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »

I regularly work new "Extra Lite" and no-code hams, particularly "down below".  Many tell me this is the first time they have tried their transceivers on AM.  Over 90% of the time, I get the impression that they found the experience positive, and it is to be hoped that a few of them will try AM again.

I know a couple of the no-code General regulars who work AM in the Ghetto (won't name names or calls) who seem as genuinely interested in AM, learning about radio, and as enthusiastic about the mode as I or anyone else ever was, in my recollection.  I think those guys are real assets to the AM community.

So we shouldn't look down our noses at the "newbies" and "codeless wonders".  Many of them were genuinely captured by the magic of radio, but had a problem, or at least a perceived problem with the code, and jumped at the chance when it was eliminated.  In any case, they had no control over the changes to the entry requirements, and could not enter ham radio the "old way" no matter if they really wanted to.  If a new ham wants to operate cw, there is nothing to keep him or her from  learning the code and doing so.  Apparently a few of the "codeless wonders" are doing just that. 

Just as in the case of  ham radio in general, the AM community will not survive if there is no new blood injected into the hobby.  We should do all we can to get the newcomers on the right track.  I do not recommend lecturing, bullying or coercing them into the "proper" procedures, but to teach by setting the example, and maybe giving a little friendly advice when needed.  If the "right way" appears compelling to newcomers, they will follow with enthusiasm.  Those who don't "get it" will quickly drop out and find other pursuits that better fit their personalities and interests.

On a related topic, one hears a lot about the "dumbing down" of ham radio these days.  I found this series of articles, that appeared in the Washington Post this past Sunday, to be of interest.  It is an indictment of attitudes in society in general, not particularly ham radio.

The Dumbing of America

Taking Pride in our Igrorance

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 03:19:55 PM »

do not recommend lecturing, bullying or coercing them into the "proper" procedures

huh-HA ! Does anyone really do that to newcomers?
WHAT proper procedures ?

I remember busting N3JUH for using Citizen's Band lingo, consciously and deliberately, but that's not the same as someone who by habit and origin slips in a "And the personal here is Frank, that's sierra alpha mike, Frank."

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »

On a related topic, one hears a lot about the "dumbing down" of ham radio these days.  I found this series of articles, that appeared in the Washington Post this past Sunday, to be of interest.  It is an indictment of attitudes in society in general, not particularly ham radio.

The Dumbing of America

Taking Pride in our Igrorance

One of the most dis-hearting things done in many schools today is the teaching of "Self Esteem".  What purpose does this serve?  With many schools this is right up there with math.  Witness the awarding of trophies to every little kid in the baseball/football game.  They spend so much time on non-related subjects the basics do not have enough emphasis, and by the time a student is near 14 they are so bored with standing in line, holding hands and tolerating inexcusable behavior, poor teaching and a non academic atmosphere and standards, that their attention turns elsewhere for they sense they don't have to put out much effort.

I taught at a technical college that had an agreement with a secondary school board to teach technical subjects to students during their senior year.  Being a college level course and taught like one, many of the students learned right away we weren't going to harass them about attendance.  We just marked them absent and it was included in their final grade.

At the end of the semester several of the students had very low grades because of attendance and lack of ability to do the math.  We reported the violations of the attendance policy to the school principal so thought things were being addressed.  When the final grades were submitted the school raised all grades below 50 to that mark as to not impact their state funding.  We protested to no avail and that incident caused us to discontinue the program.  These students, according to their grade point, were not dumb.  All had to have a B average or above to take the class.

For Amateur radio is really doesn't matter what the age of the newcomer is, be they 50 or 15.  We should be inclusive to all who pass the test.  If by chance you think the Extra is easier, then find an old ARRL License Manual and look at the Extra test.  You will find the Advanced is much harder than the Extra.  The code is now incidental to our operation but can be a source of fascination to younger people.

We operate based on with who we choose to associate, and to me someone who is crude or rude is not operating in the best interest of Amateur radio.  I do not talk to them for very long if they join in a conversation I am participating in, I just sign off and go elsewhere.  There are many nice people on the radio, I don't have to associate or be bothered by those who use poor etiquette.

I do hope the young lady is treated with respect and dignity, for I will should I find her on the bands.  After all she is one of us and I most welcome her.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »

This is a perfect opportunity for the AM community to make a shining star and steer this young new Amateur Extra in a way that she'll always be interested in radio.  Hopefully, she'll cross 75m AM and other AM areas and be turned off by 2mCB and HF slopbucket. But she may not come across the AM community.  She needs to be recruited into the AM ranks and we should step up to the plate instead of just discussing it. This will obviously depend on her interest.  Just a thought...

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »

I hope this girl never hears anything like that. There are way too many out there who had to walk to school 10 miles in the snow, barefoot uphill both ways and make sure everyone hears about it. Tongue

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »

I hope this girl never hears anything like that. There are way too many out there who had to walk to school 10 miles in the snow, barefoot uphill both ways and make sure everyone hears about it. Tongue

Ya know, I was a 15 yr old General class op at that time and I heard that famous CQ routine of W2OY's:  "CQ CQ..... No kids, no lids, no K- calls, no space cadets" and I was offended and hurt in a way by such crude remarks toward every group that I was a member of (except space cadets) hi hi.  I didn't take it personally, but I certainly thought it was in poor taste!!  There are some, however, that say that he was doing it all in fun and that he was really a great guy.  OH well...it didn't discourage me, I just filed it appropriately and moved on.  I hope, however, that I never sound that way to new youngsters starting out on the air.  And....in spite of the CB lingo thing...which gives me a headache, I am capable of showing respect and enthusiasm toward newbies.  Perhaps, we all should think about the negative example set by OY's tirades and try to put ourselves in the place of those young kids starting out.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 06:26:30 PM »

Sorry no apology from me, the odds are she can't do the math but maybe has a picture memory....

My God, what's wrong with you guys?

My nine-year-old fourth-grader attends an enriched math and science program after school. She is solving grade 10 algebra equations with ease.  Don't underestimate today's young people.  They are the only hope we have.

You'd better be nice to your kids, because they will get to choose your nursing home....

Here's an 11 year-old who has accomplished something pretty outstanding in my opinion and all you some of you can do is "poo-poo and criticize her accomplishment. 

So what if there's no code test and you can learn to recognize the correct answer?  The fact that she even wanted to do it is pretty amazing.  She still did it and I am very impressed.

I wonder how many of us could pass the tests we took so many years ago.

Geez!

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
N1ESE
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »

Here's an 11 year-old who has accomplished something pretty outstanding in my opinion and all you some of you can do is "poo-poo and criticize her accomplishment. 

Good, then I won't feel guilty anymore for memorizing a couple of the answers I had to to pass my Extra.  Smiley

- JT
ka3zlr
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »

This is a perfect opportunity for the AM community to make a shining star and steer this young new Amateur Extra in a way that she'll always be interested in radio.  Hopefully, she'll cross 75m AM and other AM areas and be turned off by 2mCB and HF slopbucket. But she may not come across the AM community.  She needs to be recruited into the AM ranks and we should step up to the plate instead of just discussing it. This will obviously depend on her interest.  Just a thought...

It's a Great thought Bob, boy wouldn't it be fun to get a coupla kidz going on Yaam..LOL..Man think of the questions and the looks on their faces..LOL..

it'd be fun..

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »

All extra class licensees wishing to prove their superior nature should immediately throw all microphones in the trash, never touch a PC and only inhabit the CW portions of all bands, using only straight keys and bugs, always sending & receiving at 20wpm+ speeds. Using only HB tube gear for RX/TX and only designs of pre 1940 vintage. 

You forgot, they have to make their own vacuum tubes.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015