The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:13:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping via DHL  (Read 5463 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: February 19, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »

I have heard many of the horror stories about UPS and Fedex, but has anyone had any experience with a company called DHL?

I recently ordered some stuff from Amazon.com.  Usually, they ship via UPS or USPS, and so far I have lucked out and never had any problems with missing or crushed merchandise.

I just checked on the status of my order, and they said it was shipped via DHL on the 16th, the departure date was the 17th (on a Sunday?), and that delivery was attempted yesterday.  I never left the place all day, and no-one ever came to the house to attempt to deliver anything, and there was no note left on the door if they did come by and not get my attention.

I have never heard of DHL before, so I did a Google search, and what I found was a company that ships merchandise internationally, but the item I order was sent from a town in Ohio.

WTF?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »

Attempted delivery may well mean... "they tried to find your house, but couldn't..."

Actually have had better prices from DHL than UPS or FedEx....
Depending on location ....

Bigger items have been a bit cheaper....

Usually good service, but once they left a $500 item sitting by the front door...25' from a main road..... no one home....
I was a bit miffed at that....but at least it was still here !

DHL has been around for a while.... gaining popularity all the time..

FWIW

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »

The company I work for uses it exclusively and my experience with them has been good too.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
N1ESE
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:12:08 PM »

Airborne Express is another of the lesser used like DHL.  DHL specializes in International but they have a fairly good domestic service as well, just naturally not as refined as UPS or FedEx.

- JT
W2FAL
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »

I've used DHL several times and have been pleased.  Their prices are, generally, better than UPS/Fedex, as KF1Z pointed out.  I did have a damage claim with them on a large, bulky, heavy item that I shipped to my daughter in CA  They settled it incredibly fairly and incredibly quickly.

On the down side, I stay out of the way of their trucks on the road as, here in Atlanta, they drive like maniacs.  Mmmm...maybe that's why my package was damaged??

Frank, W2FAL
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »

Don,

I believe that DHL also has an agreement with the postal service for "last mile" delivery in some areas.  I use a post office box in the village since I got tired of the township snow plow "interacting" with my mail box and I often see the DHL van dropping off stuff there early in the morning.

I have received several packages via DHL and have had no problems.  My last order from Amazon came via USPS and on the delivery tracker I watched it bounce between the sorting stations in Missouri and Tennessee (Memphis) a total of 4 times before it finally made it out of the loop and to my address; fortunately it wasn't anything fragile!

Rodger

Rodger WQ9E
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »

Don, I have switched to DHL exclusively because none of the others will pick up at my rural location.  The others also frequently  won't deliver here because driver's won't spend the time to locate us.

DHL's prices are better than either of the two major competitors if you open an account with them.  I have a dedicated customer rep who takes care of any problems.  They and Airborne Express are together and have a much longer history of overseas delivery than either of their competitors.

Another thing is that if the delivery person doesn't know the address and it isn't in their data base, they call for directions.  Customer service is much better as is claims settlement.  The down side with DHL is the billing.  If you open an account, watch the billing.  For claims, they are not argumentative and treat packages much gentler than than the competitors .
KL7OF

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »

DHL is partly owned by the (Dutch?) post office...
Dewey,Huey, and Louie
Drugs, Handguns, and Liquor
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 05:50:45 AM »

Jim, I thought Oklahoma was the boonies of Texas..No wonder no other carrier wants to go there...hehehehe
N2udf
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 07:29:36 AM »

I have had good luck with DHL receiving packages in good condition.When my brother was in Afganistan DHL was the only carrier that reliably delivered packages there........Lee,N2UDF.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:00:20 AM »

Jim, I thought Oklahoma was the boonies of Texas..No wonder no other carrier wants to go there...hehehehe

Jerry, Oklahoma is the piece of land that keeps Texas from falling into the Gulf of Mexico.
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 09:35:58 AM »

Don, I have switched to DHL exclusively because none of the others will pick up at my rural location.  The others also frequently  won't deliver here because driver's won't spend the time to locate us.

DHL's prices are better than either of the two major competitors if you open an account with them.  I have a dedicated customer rep who takes care of any problems.  They and Airborne Express are together and have a much longer history of overseas delivery than either of their competitors.

Another thing is that if the delivery person doesn't know the address and it isn't in their data base, they call for directions.  Customer service is much better as is claims settlement.  The down side with DHL is the billing.  If you open an account, watch the billing.  For claims, they are not argumentative and treat packages much gentler than than the competitors .

I recently ordered something from amazon and they said is was shipped via DHL.  Ended up coming by USPS, and since it wouldn't fit in my rural box, they just took it back to the PO.  It was not DHL's fault.  I've had good luck with DHL in the past.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »

The stuff came to-day, intact.  I discovered it sitting on the front porch when I woke up this morning, just like a UPS delivery.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »

About a year ago found  a DHL van wandering around on the dirt roads near my very remote hammie QTH.   This guy was about 1.5 miles off the county road, and none of the roads are named or signed,  yet this driver was actually trying to find the addressee,  a neighbor.   Gave him the directions,  and he was on his way.  This was impressive.   Have never seen any of the other delivery company drivers making any real effort to find any thing.    Vic
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 03:13:08 AM »

They damaged the one package I've ever had delivered to home via DHL, but they made good on the insurance claim.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015