The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:07:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Always a Good Topic: Hunting, Firearms, etc.  (Read 12554 times)
ka3zlr
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:22:12 AM »

Good Day Everyone,

I remember a few guys on the forum that hunt and Fish, and i'm wondering how many enjoy trying the not so off the shelf weaponry. I have moved to Henry Repeating Arms and I really like these guys Very Nice Firearms...

http://www.henryrepeating.com

I dearly enjoy Squirrel hunting and i've been using this little fella it's a .17 Cal. HMR and I am impressed to say the least.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h001v_varmint.cfm

I really like these guys..give'em a try...
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:32:57 AM »

Gotta get them varmints!

Nice stuff.

* yossam.gif (8.82 KB, 350x291 - viewed 272 times.)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:43:40 AM »

I still use a Bear Kodiak Recurve when bow hunting Jack. Made in 1973 it has a 55 lb pull with 31 inch arrows. No cables or wheels or any fancy new compound stuff. Just limbs and a string.

Muzzleloading season finds me with my .50 cal Hawkins Replica shooting a 365 grain mini-ball similar to the ones used in our Civil War.

* 5024.jpg (8.37 KB, 515x96 - viewed 273 times.)

* recurve.jpg (41.28 KB, 500x500 - viewed 330 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »

Not a hunter here but I'm restocking the fishing arsenal.  Just finished placing a nice order with Cabelas.
Any fly throwers in the ranks?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »

Henry makes nice stuff. I see some of them on the racks, or at the Cowboy Action shoots. There's just something about a lever gun that speaks to me. One of them will follow me home someday I'm sure.

I have a break action NEF heavy barrel sporter in .17HRM as well. Shoots nice and flat and more accurate than I am. I haven't connected with any squirrels or woodchucks yet, but I'm sure it will do the job. Some folks around here use it on coyotes to minimize the pelt damage. Not sure it's really up to something that size from what I've read.

Squirrel hunting is one of my favorites in the fall. I like woodchucks best in the summer, long shots and good rifles. But chasing bushy tails in the fall always makes for a nice day in the woods.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W8EJO

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:45:40 PM »

I have the Browning BAR II in 30.06 with a Simmons 3x9x50 for deer, elk, bear, etc. It will handle most NA game with the right load.

For birds I use an old Ithaca 16 gauge double gun.

As to handguns, I have have a nice CZ 75B in 9mm & for bullseye shooting a Ruger MkII bullseye gun with a Red Dot scope.

The BAR, CZ & Ruger are all much more accurate than I am.

I tried black powder  but I got tired of spending all my time cleaning the damn thing.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »

I've still got the first firearm I've ever owned, a Sears & Roebuck .22 cal bolt action rifle.  I shot a lot of squirrels with that as a kid.  Funny how we could just walk down the road, into the woods and no one bothered. The only thing about it I don't like is the crappy safety, So I just pull the bolt out when traveling/stowing. 5 round magazine fed bolt action... odd but it was a gift from a friend of the family. (Dad's buddy, as I recall, my Mom was not too excited...)

Also a CZ75 9mm and a cheap moseberg nockoff (I think, its called a greenberg??) 12 guage pump for the pheasants and other fowls. (I wish I could load up the rock salt like my old neighbor used to do, though it still didn't keep us kids out of the melon patch, just made us that more carefull).  It has a long ribbed barrel and bead sight. Shoot some clay pigeons once in a while too.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »

We had a farmer neighbor who targeted kids with rock salt. Chris Henry was the only one hit...he lived next door to the buzzard. M61 on the hood of my truck would be cool
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 08:29:34 PM »

Well I'm very glad to see the interest still lives on the forum all great posts Thanks...YES Fishing is on the List...LOL especially fly fishing FBOM..

I have just really fallen in the groove with these lever action rifles and they're just wonderful fireams a little expensive but the Action and performance is just fantastic..and the service is very nice...very well done...the trigger action on the .17 was just to "hair' for me so i sent it back for lengthening and they came through for me now it's Squeeze the trigger action now... man...I am just so pleased with it...you wouldn't believe...

Great Schtuff man...
W2JBL

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 09:27:18 PM »

howdy Jack. didn't know you were a fellow gunner. i discovered Henry Repeating Arms at Wallmart a few years ago when i saw a nifty little .22 lever action made by them. the price was right and the quality excellent. it was calling my name so i bought it. turned out to be a super reliable and very accurate rifle, and one of the fastest smoothest working lever actions i ever shot. i can shoot it nearly as fast as my Marlin Model 60 semi auto!

this winter's gun projects include a buildup on a Car Gustav (Sweden) M1916 Mauser action, to be set with bull barrel in 6.5x55MM in a MacMillan stock with Huber trigger, and "Franken Mauser" a 1911 Spandau GEW98 in 8x57 that was previously sporterized by my grandfather. he cut the barrel to 24" but left the full length stock, and added a better front sight. i'm doing a re-blue, Timney trigger, and Lyman receiver sight, and free float the barrel. Granpa cut a nice 11 degree target crown on the muzzle, and the bore is perfect. i wanna see if it's equal or more accuarate than my Griffen and Howe 1922 Sporter 03 Springfield.

Coyote season runs October to March here with no bag limit. i'm heading for KC2RPS's place in Delhi in a few weeks to work on them with a Charles Daly .308 Mauser 98 wearing a Tassco 4x12x40 target scope. God Bless America, AM, and GUNS!
kf6pqt

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 12:11:27 AM »

M91/30 in 7.62x54R, VZ 24 8mm mauser, a couple projects in 7.62x39 that need some serious restoration, and the bog-standard Ruger 10/22.

I have what looks like an old police issue Colt .38 revolver, but unfortunately is wildly inaccurate and inconsistent for silhouettes at 100yd. I guess its only designed to be good for a coupla car-lengths, max! Thinking of replacing it with something affordable and 9mm. Any recommendations?

Very recently picked up a Gamo (made in Shpain) single-shot, high velocity pellet rifle for the next time I see a rat in the yard. (I live in the city, in the very retarded republic of CA) Adjusting the cheap scope that came with it with only one or two well-spaced shots per day (to stay below any neighbor radar) has actually been a fun challenge!

I have a buddy who's essentially a Doctor, with the salary in the same neighborhood, he's been drooling over the Henry stuff quite a bit lately. Stuffs a little too fancy for my present income!

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 08:39:26 AM »

I tried black powder  but I got tired of spending all my time cleaning the damn thing.

Terry........ some of the new powders are a dream to shoot. I switched from FFFG black powder to Triple 7 last year and man....... what a difference. Very easy to clean.
American Legends has a premium powder that shoots just as clean.

Muzzleloading has come a long way. You shuold try it again.

Other huntin' WMDs include a S&W 1500 in .30-06 shooting Sierra 110gr SP at 3400 Fps towards groundhogs, 125g Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer and antelope, 210 gr match jacketed hollow points for Elk)
Mossberg Model 500 pump in 20ga. ( the smoothbore slug barrel has 22 bambis to its credit)
Mossberg 829 bolt action 12ga w/ accuchoke for Turkey and waterfowl
Mossberg .22 autoloader with Bushnell 4X Sportview for Squirrels
W8EJO

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 10:12:32 AM »

Terry........ some of the new powders are a dream to shoot. I switched from FFFG black powder to Triple 7 last year and man....... what a difference. Very easy to clean.
American Legends has a premium powder that shoots just as clean.

Thanks for the tip Buddly. I may give it a try. Now that I have a cabin up in NW MI I can use the BAR for deer. I love that gun. Its a real nail driver so the muzzle loader has been collecting dust.   

Terry, W8EJO

wb2fof

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 11:09:54 AM »

Buddly's happy now !!  All the gun totten' AM'ers coming out of the woodwork !!

At least Chris is up front as shown on his QRZ page !!!!

Back to my glass bed project !!

Filiment heat, my A$$........lead pots throws more heat !

The FOF

Bob
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »

I have what looks like an old police issue Colt .38 revolver, but unfortunately is wildly inaccurate and inconsistent for silhouettes at 100yd. I guess its only designed to be good for a coupla car-lengths, max! Thinking of replacing it with something affordable and 9mm. Any recommendations?

Wow, silhouettes at 100 yards with a pistol is kind of out there for most folks. But many pistols will do it pretty well. Are you shooting from a rest, or free hand? How long is the barrel? Sight radius getting to be pretty important that far away. Are you shooting single or double action? I'd recommend sitting down at a bench with a rest and firing it single action to get a feel for it's basic accuracy. If it is old issue, it's possible it's shot out, but most police arms don't get fired much if at all.

The biggest problem might be a short barrel and crude sights. I used to have a model 36, 2 inch snubby, that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. OTOH, with a colt king cobra, I used to ring the gong at 100 yards about 7 shots out of ten from the bench. Are you familiar with Elmer Keith's method of holding the front sight up higher in the notch of the rear to get the appropriate hold over while maintaining a usable sight picture?

As far as recommendations, Glocks are nice reliable pieces, but don't really have a target trigger. I'd look around for something built on the 1911 pattern in 9mm. 

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 02:25:16 PM »

I'd look around for something built on the 1911 pattern in 9mm.

That's a good suggestion. A good deal of competition shooters use the 1911 9mm.

Bianchi Cup 2007

LOL especially fly fishing FBOM..

Here ya go Jack. Red popper on a number 8 Rod, #6 weight forward line, 2 lb test leader.

At least Chris is up front as shown on his QRZ page !!!!

Ain't been to my webpage in a while.... eh FOF ??

WD8BIL in Wyoming

* Flyrod bass2.jpg (421.73 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 325 times.)
W8EJO

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »

The CZ 75B is an excellent affordable 9mm. Read reviews here:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/cz75B_pistol.htm

Your .38 should shoot better.  I have an oldie (photo attached) that's good to 25 yards. 

I don't shoot at 100 yds but I do shoot at @ 50 yards which is one of the required distances for bullseye shooting. Its amazing what can be done with a good pistol & scope at 50 yards. Come to Camp Perry some time for the national matches & you'll see guys that will blow you away.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nm_campperry.asp

* Picture 001.jpg (60.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 303 times.)

Terry, W8EJO

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »

LOL especially fly fishing FBOM..

Here ya go Jack. Red popper on a number 8 Rod, #6 weight forward line, 2 lb test leader.

Number 7 rod with 7wt line floating/wt. forward line with a foam popper.  Stripers are fun to snag but it gets crazy with a bluefish.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ka3zlr
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 05:50:37 PM »

Hi Guys,

I Takes the boys out, my son and his friend...I baits the hooks and dad finds a tree,..my extent at Fishing and I enjoy it....the boys reek havoc on the poor worms fish end up in the trees or where ever they land because of the hard yanking...I remake the hook sets bait em up and send em back in the game...lol...it's a blast fishing with them....got a coupla ugly sticks a some no name spin casters...nothing real fancy but the boys love it and that's all that matters to me.....I can't believe the cost of the fishing license..Man...it's expensive here in Pa....

But keep it going thanks for all the posts... wonderful
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 07:15:08 PM »

Buddly, you should be ashamed to post such a small fish. Wink

Got these in my back yard this summer.

* BigBass13June07.jpg (144.1 KB, 800x637 - viewed 342 times.)

* HelloBass9June07.jpg (156.9 KB, 800x708 - viewed 333 times.)

* TheCatch13June07.jpg (182.71 KB, 514x800 - viewed 288 times.)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »

Nice hogs there HUZ !!

Ashamed Huh?? Naahh...........

Those 3 ponders are a blast to catch on a flyrod with a 2 lb test leader.
Lotsa touch involved when using a single action non-geared reel.
But you're on dude. Next spring.. let the games begin !!!!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »

Just yanking your chain Bud. Two different kinds of fishing. And those large mouths I caught are not all that big for this area. I caught some larger ones this summer (in the 5-6 pound range) but didn't have the camera with me (yea, that's what they all say)!

If you ever get out this way, you can fish off my dock.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 11:24:34 AM »

May be taking you up on that sooner than later Steve. The XYL wants a return to Virginia Beach this coming summer. A whole week this time.(not just a weekend)
I'll be sure to look ya up !

Just yanking your chain Bud

I knew that Steve, nolo problemo. ( a li'l spanish lingo there Grin)
KL7OF

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »

Go to w7jhs.com click on Tube shoot 2007...
Pac NW AM hams having fun......
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »

Si senior! Mi casa es su casa!

May be taking you up on that sooner than later Steve. The XYL wants a return to Virginia Beach this coming summer. A whole week this time.(not just a weekend)
I'll be sure to look ya up !

Just yanking your chain Bud

I knew that Steve, nolo problemo. ( a li'l spanish lingo there Grin)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015