The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:06:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 [28] 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IARU REGION 2 MF/HF BAND PLAN, effective 01 JA 2008, would limit AM operation.  (Read 421554 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #675 on: December 24, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »

The rule should probably say "good Amateur practice" rather than "good amateur practice"; "good amateur" practice being an oxymoron.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
ka3zlr
« Reply #676 on: December 24, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »

Exactly Gentlemen,

The greatest strength of this forum is the ability to discuss these ideas without prejudice and Blindly following a system that excludes the input from concerned operators.

WA3VJB
« Reply #677 on: December 26, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

Now making this post and thread Un-sticky.

To find it in the future, just do a search for IARU.

Thanks for participating.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #678 on: December 26, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »

Very effective. Beats the hell out of the old days of dead-tree newsletters and monthly rags delivered via snail mail.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #679 on: December 26, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »

And, we set some records with the thread!

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #680 on: December 27, 2007, 07:39:35 AM »

Only because it wasn't limited or KILLED after 20 pages  Angry Angry Huh

Long live Ted Nugent !!!

Backstraps baby !!
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #681 on: December 27, 2007, 08:57:38 AM »

Now making this post and thread Un-sticky.

To find it in the future, just do a search for IARU.

Thanks for participating.

Oh... giving up so soon?

Sure we could make 40 pages if we try!!

Tongue

WA3VJB
« Reply #682 on: December 27, 2007, 09:03:05 AM »

Never giving up !

Additional tactics and strategies are on the way.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #683 on: December 31, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »

Some very good points brought up in this thread...
It is always a prudent thing to cast a wary eye on dealings of the ARRL and IARU
with respect to AM.  In these times it often seems like the inmates are running the asylum.  Especially across the pond, where the Greenies have become a religion.
Just look at the ROHS debacle.  Throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
On a lighter note...
I think this thread could make 40 pages, easy.
Shirley this won't be the last post...

Grin
Happy New Year
W1IA

« Reply #684 on: December 31, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »

If nothing else it has brought focus on the mode and the increasing interest of the mode. It has become apparent that there is an increasing number of A.M. operators showing up on the band.

The interest in the old mode has created a renewed interest in building and restoring old transmitters. Many people (myself included) found that the hobby had stagnated. How many 59 slam bam's can a person take before realizing the futility and utter boredom you get from running a plastic radio.

Class-E  designs make it possible for the average joe to build a decent transmitter for relatively low money. The biggest benefit was the education and friendships the were forged from joining the wonderful fraternity of A.M. operators and builders.

Another benefit was immersing myself into antenna designs using EZNEC. Since most AM'rs are at a power disadvantage maximizing antenna designs becomes paramount to survival on 75 at night.

The supposed band crowding issue is a mute point as most AM'rs end up in small groups dotted amongst the band. I expect the real impact of the IARU's foolishness will
be the fallout of ignorant operators claiming the IARU band proposal as law. Dollars to donuts it will start tomorrow.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #685 on: December 31, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »

The supposed band crowding issue is a moot point as most AM'rs end up in small groups dotted amongst the band. I expect the real impact of the IARU's foolishness will be the fallout of ignorant operators claiming the IARU band proposal as law. Dollars to donuts it will start tomorrow.

That's why we need to make it a  special point starting at midnight to-night local time, to  show a massive AM presence OUTSIDE the IARU AM windows,  on 3625-3875, and on as many separate frequencies as possible throughout 160.  Continue this operation through the coming weekend.  Let this be an educational exercise for the benefit of the rest of the amateur radio community.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WA3VJB
« Reply #686 on: December 31, 2007, 04:32:06 PM »

The follow-through to Don's suggestion will be to make note of times, frequencies and call signs of anyone trying to "enforce" the IARU plan against us.

It may take more than just next week, because I'm skeptical there are very many people who give a szht. The known detractors probably won't take the chance since we expect it from them.

Nonetheless, keeping documentation becomes part of the basis to argue for getting rid of specific bandwidths in Region 2, precluding them in Region 3, and possibly getting rid of them in the earlier Region 1, on which the Region 2 plan is reputedly based.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #687 on: December 31, 2007, 04:39:26 PM »

It may take more than just next week, because I'm skeptical there are very many people who give a szht. The known detractors probably won't take the chance since we expect it from them.

And they know we expect it from them, because they monitor this board, as well as subscribe to the AM Reflector.  I recall Brian kicked one off a few months ago because he began posting derisive remarks about certain AM operators.

- - -
AF9J
« Reply #688 on: December 31, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »

I'm all set to go guys,

I don't go out for New Yearrs Eve anymore (unless I'm doing a gig), so I'm game for operating on the low end of 75, since I have the VFO behaving itself.

Ellen - AF9J
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #689 on: December 31, 2007, 07:03:16 PM »

The follow-through to Don's suggestion will be to make note of times, frequencies and call signs of anyone trying to "enforce" the IARU plan against us.

Nonetheless, keeping documentation becomes part of the basis to argue for getting rid of specific bandwidths in Region 2, precluding them in Region 3, and possibly getting rid of them in the earlier Region 1, on which the Region 2 plan is reputedly based.

I plan to follow the Region 4 regulations.
KF1Z

« Reply #690 on: December 31, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »

And they know we expect it from them, because they monitor this board, as well as subscribe to the AM Reflector. 

Already heard one group "planning to do battle at midnight....".
I'm leaving the recorder going overnight...

It's set up for 3.703 to 3.893... It'll record all th RF my ant picks up between those freqs...
Takes only 2.7 gig of hd space per hour, so I can easily record over 100 hours at that rate, and my hard drive will only be a little over half full.

I wish I could just get on and play radio... but that won't happen tonight....

At least I'll be able to listen to some of the goings-on tomorrow....

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #691 on: December 31, 2007, 07:38:05 PM »

My xmtr is tuned up on 3705 right now.  I'll start from there.

I probably won't be on right at midnight, since we are planning a little new year's toast here at home, but I'll most likely outlast everyone else, and do some radio then.

Already, on Heavy Metal Night I was in a QSO on 3705 and could hear some slopbucket in the background (audible but wasn't bothering anyone) saying over and over something to the effect "go back to the AM window".

I like Paul's idea of documenting time, date and frequency of wannabe radio cops trying to "enforce" the band plan.  Over time, with all the data compiled, could be used in a strong argument to revise the plan, or to at least challenge the League's position that the plan doesn't affect US operation or AM operation in N. America.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #692 on: December 31, 2007, 07:41:06 PM »

Some PW type has been trying to jam the group on 3715 for the last hour. No luck. Everyone just talks over it.
KF1Z

« Reply #693 on: December 31, 2007, 07:56:43 PM »

Some PW type has been trying to jam the group on 3715 for the last hour. No luck. Everyone just talks over it.
I saw (and heard) that...
Funny... the only time it was noticeable was when no one was talking!!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #694 on: December 31, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »

well as soon as I can I'll drag my full gut and wine buzz to 75 meters and see wats shakin.
W1QWT

« Reply #695 on: December 31, 2007, 08:27:20 PM »

Funny that happened to me last night on 3610 using AM. My friend and I were on the frequency for about 20 minutes and then a group appeared smack dab on the same frequency. Maybe they didn't hear us cause we were only running about 40 watts of carrier. Interesting thing was that there were clear frequencies either side of us. My friend said he thought he heard a comment about us but we just turned our rcvr gains down till we didn't hear them.
Heard they wet themselves when we weren't phased by it. Ofcourse were weren't since my friend and I are only 2 miles apart!

Regards, Q, W1QWT
ka3zlr
« Reply #696 on: December 31, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »

Welp, I do hope the Creators of this mess are in tune with the happenings, I'm sure some little word of discontent has reached HQ, and I'm Sure it's Being Ignored....

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #697 on: December 31, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »

Welp, I do hope the Creators of this mess are in tune with the happenings, I'm sure some little word of discontent has reached HQ, and I'm Sure it's Being Ignored....

ARRL Headquarters has been closed since Friday night. And, http://www.remote.arrl.org/?artid=7892

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #698 on: December 31, 2007, 09:09:35 PM »

For "those" who keep track of these things, the summary proceedings of third & final plenary - XVI General Assembly - Region 2, Brasilia 2007, modified 12/23/07, are now on line. This includes with detail, all the Resolutions passed at the September 2007 meeting.
Click on General Assembly 2007 (top one on the list); then click the 3rd one (pdf file) down the list:
http://www.iaru-r2.org/documents/

ka3zlr
« Reply #699 on: December 31, 2007, 10:09:34 PM »

For "those" who keep track of these things, the summary proceedings of third & final plenary - XVI General Assembly - Region 2, Brasilia 2007, modified 12/23/07, are now on line. This includes with detail, all the Resolutions passed at the September 2007 meeting.
Click on General Assembly 2007 (top one on the list); then click the 3rd one (pdf file) down the list:
http://www.iaru-r2.org/documents/

Well,

That's quite the situation isn't it, Keeping track...of these things done without consideration or input from the American Amateur Operator across the spectrum.

Quite Sad actually when the concerned have to resort to contacts made to outside participants in this mess to address our opinions and aid in changes, actions chasing the dogs tail..

Summarily a closed mind(s) needn't consider time nor operating hours of service when neglect is first most prominent...obviously interest should always consider the whole of any operation and address all needs.

If the mindset is interested in the needs of the many...not the few...

Pages: 1 ... 27 [28] 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015