The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:32:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 [24] 25 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IARU REGION 2 MF/HF BAND PLAN, effective 01 JA 2008, would limit AM operation.  (Read 421543 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #575 on: December 11, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »

Now, thanks to this ill-advised fiasco, there will be more.  Please explain to me, Pete, without sidestepping the question, how this advances amateur radio.  If you cannot explain this, then you must have to agree that the whole concept is faulty and should be discarded.

I personally believe that some form of regulation by bandwidth has a future in amateur radio as we move further into the 21th century. Back in the old days, we had CW and AM phone; then along came SSB, then came packet, AMTOR, Winlink, and new digital type modes popping all the time. Although these "new" modes individually may be presently small in number, there seems to be a gradual increase in their popularity. If we (domestic U. S.) don't start planning a way to accommodate all these new modes in the near-term, I fully believe that most HF bands populated with U. S. amateurs will turn into dens of anarchy in the long-term. Many international countries have already started to see the light for amateur radio's future, and have taken the necessary steps.

So, NO, I don't "Agree that the whole concept is faulty and should be discarded". On the contrary, unless U. S. amateurs wake up and "smell the roses", international pressures may force the FCC individually to act in ways most of us would not be in agreement with.

I would also support, that if the ARRL pursues another bandwidth regulation proposal further down the road, that their processes must be far more open then they were in the past. The issue can't be "regulation by bandwidth is "bad"; the issue should be, "how to we make regulation by bandwidth work here in the U. S." as we proceed further into the 21st century.

You keep dredging out this statement as if it is some defense of the plan.  Please explain to me how this bandplan in general and the bandwidtch restrictions in particular are beneficial to US amateurs (let's set aside for a moment the fact that some countries will virtually ban DSB AM as a result of this).

Unless I'm reading the Aruba's rules incorrectly, they only allow SSB as a phone mode. You also need to remember that the voluntary revised Region 2 band plan didn't only specify bandwidth limits, but it also identified a number Region 2 "emergency centers of activity" frequencies, which in times of regional disasters, are very important.

The "good amateur practice" does not distinquish between local regs or not; just THIS bandplan.  Please explain to me how just the practice of using DSB full carrier AM constitutes poor amateur practice when it is not interfering with anyone.

As long as you adhere to the rules and regulations of the country, or the Regional band plan, if that's the rules that the country is using, you should be in agreement with their "good amateur practice" policy.

As was this, which many rightly view as an attempt at an end-run around the FCC towards a treaty which will codify this at the next WRC.

You can believe what you want. There is no evidence to support your assumption.

If they proclaim to represent US amateurs and their interests then they should do so, membership aside.  Their website still invites comment to Division Directors on matters of interest and does not disntinguish between members and non-members.  N3LLR graciously replied to me (once) but was pretty bold in stating that he was under no obligation to do so.  I was also provided copies of other correspondence from League personnel who were very denigrating towards me for having the termerity to provide my opinion (which was very respectful).  I requested of N3LLR that, if it were the case that Division Directors need not correspond with non-members that this be clarified on the ARRL website.  It has not been.

I have never been strongly anti_ARRL.  What changed me somehwat were the appalling shennanigans perpetrated by HQ against a candidate for the Atlantic Division.  ANd the nastiness against me and fellow AMers who are bold enough to publically question this (and other) nonsense is appalling and uncalled-for.

If you were a member, the next time his position came up for renewal, you could help vote him out. In my opinion, as a non-member, he owes you nothing.

In regards to the proposed candidate in question: Under the ARRL Bylaws and Articles of Association in effect at the time the proposed candidate made his bid to be on the slate, his background and current activities violated those rules. What you wanted was for the ARRL to bend the rules, or ignore the rules, for someone you thought was qualified.

Pleae explain to me, Pete, why I should support an organization who embarks upon crusades like this while failing to learn a thing from its recent failed petition?  Why should I *pay* someone to bend me over a barrel??? [/quote]

In membership numbers there can be strength. You can play an active part in getting a Director/Vice-Director representative on the Board that may share your issues and concerns and take them to the table for discussion or ruling.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #576 on: December 11, 2007, 02:23:49 PM »

Their vote in favor of the revisions with tight bandwidth limits, and their subsequent claims that we can ignore the plan (until they've had a chance to educate everyone as to its merits?) does not serve us well at all. 

As a member I'm very disappointed in the ARRL management on this issue.

Steve WD8DAS

It's a voluntary band plan. If you don't see any merit to it, ignore it. It's not part of any FCC rules and regulations. Life goes on.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #577 on: December 11, 2007, 02:55:14 PM »

Their vote in favor of the revisions with tight bandwidth limits, and their subsequent claims that we can ignore the plan (until they've had a chance to educate everyone as to its merits?) does not serve us well at all. 

As a member I'm very disappointed in the ARRL management on this issue.

Steve WD8DAS

It's a voluntary band plan. If you don't see any merit to it, ignore it. It's not part of any FCC rules and regulations. Life goes on.

The 3892/3889 crowd could also be informed of the new IARU Region 2 Voluntary Bandplan, voted for by the ARRL, that goes into effect January 1, which designates wideband AM operations at 3875 - 3900 KHz.

One of them talked about it last night.  They are too ignorant to understand what it means.  K9ESE basically told the others that after Jan. 1, anyone with an old AM rig that goes over 6 kcs is going to be illegal, and their rigs will have to be trashed.  Not only do these guys lie to outsiders, they will lie to their own followers to keep the fire burning.

Here is the MP3 if anyone cares to listen to this yahoo:
http://w5ami.net/3.892000MHz_12-10-2007_4_53PMCST.mp3

This is precisely my major concern, notwithstanding the spin which League staff is trying to put on the issue.  Even if ARRL is correct in their assertion (in which case they have certainly done a piss poor job of communicating this to the greater amateur community), there will be many, many amateurs, even well-meaning hams who are not part this or similar groups of retards, who will fail to understand what the IARU bandplan is, and who will INSIST that it is illegal to operate AM outside the suggested "windows" or beyond the stated bandwidths.  In every "non-compliant" QSO we can expect to hear numerous breakers and anonymous SSB comments dropped on top of our carriers, "informing" us that we are operating illegally, in violation of the "new rules".  Or else, we are "poor operators" or "lids" because we are disregarding the band plan. As we continue to legally operate our preferred modes on frequencies of our choice, there will inevitably be a certain element who will become extremely pissed off, and substantial momentum will begin gathering to petition the FCC to adopt the IARU restrictions into Part 97.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #578 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:19 PM »

It's voluntary until it's not. The ARRL has made it clear the intend to make it "not" in the future. I have yet to see a good reason put forth for "regulation by bandwidth." Sorry, the second grade excuse, "cuz other countries are doing it" doesn't cut it. If this is really such an important issue, a reasonable premise should be presented.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #579 on: December 11, 2007, 05:04:16 PM »

Think of your membership in the ARRL, not as a magazine subscription, but as a membership in the Surprise-of-the-Month Club.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #580 on: December 11, 2007, 05:58:14 PM »

Steve said:
Sorry, the second grade excuse, "cuz other countries are doing it" doesn't cut it.

I was saying precisely that a few pages back! They still haven't made any logic answer as to why they even proposed it in the first place.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
ka3zlr
« Reply #581 on: December 11, 2007, 06:20:21 PM »

Well Naturally Life goes on, that's exactly what is wanted, out of sight out of mind...

I liked the surprise of the month Club,,LOLOL...that cracks me up...LOLOL...
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #582 on: December 11, 2007, 08:49:16 PM »

I don't know how many of you caught this but I found it interesting to say the least.

Bill KA8WTK found this and brought this to my attention.

The link below is an MP3 recording of a segment of the Newsline Newscast on the ARRLs response to the CQ editorial on the IARU band plan fiasco. I find two points very interesting. 1. They mentioned AM!!  Good job guys and they said they were going to get a consensus from the Amateur radio community ( they did not say membership). I wonder how they are going to do that and I think we need hold them to this. No mis information here. Wink

(Warning recording is a little hot on the audio)

Take a listen:http://amfone.net/audio/newsline.mp3

I did not record the entire broadcast .I only recorded the ARRL section . If you wish to here the other items they reported on you can here them
here:http://www.arnewsline.org/

All credits and recordings are from ARNewslineTM and Amateur Radio NewslineTM

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNΨ54
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #583 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:03 PM »

As we continue to legally operate our preferred modes on frequencies of our choice, there will inevitably be a certain element who will become extremely pissed off, and substantial momentum will begin gathering to petition the FCC to adopt the IARU restrictions into Part 97.

Don, consider the ignorant source(s).
The guys at the FCC aren't stupid.

PS: WA3VJB did a great job in his summary published in the December issue of ER.

PPS: We just took an informal survey, there are at least 122 hams employed as managers, VPs, engineers and  IT personnel at my broadcasting employer. If it wasn't for amateur AM and other experimentation, the broadcast industry and this country would be hurting for trained individuals. This proves that the intent and purpose of the amateur service hasn't gone away, even in 2007, in spite of the League's attempts to turn us all into 2.7 KHz wide ricebox operators. (Err, I mean they were merely duplicating the Region 1 bandplan...)

I'm proud of all of you.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #584 on: December 11, 2007, 09:18:06 PM »

I don't know how many of you caught this but I found it interesting to say the least.

Bill KA8WTK found this and brought this to my attention.

The link below is an MP3 recording of a segment of the Newsline Newscast on the ARRLs response to the CQ editorial on the IARU band plan fiasco. I find two points very interesting. 1. They mentioned AM!!  Good job guys and they said they were going to get a consensus from the Amateur radio community ( they did not say membership). I wonder how they are going to do that and I think we need hold them to this. No mis information here. Wink

G

If you don't want to listen to the recording, the entire ARnewsline text for December 7, 2007 is at this URL. Two "Page Down" clicks should get you to the topic:
HAM RADIO POLITICS:  THE ARRL RESPONDS TO CQ EDITORIAL REGARDING REGION 2 BANDPLAN
http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=176940

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #585 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:38 PM »

Pure blather.

Misleading and Incorrect Rumors Surround IARU Region 2 Band Plan

Misleading and incorrect rumors are surrounding the recently revised band plan of IARU Region 2, adopted at its triennial conference in Brazil in September. The following statement was authorized by ARRL President Joel Harrison, W5ZN.
During the conference, held September 10-14 in Brasilia, representatives from IARU Region 2 societies met in committees prior to a final plenary session and adopted recommendations concerning a number of items important to Amateur Radio in the region. These included plans to improve emergency communication, enhance education and reduce interference to national emergency nets, as well as revising the Region 2 HF band plan.

The revised Region 2 band plan for 160-10 meters takes effect January 1, 2008. The band plan is based on the band plan adopted by IARU Region 1 at its conference in Davos, Switzerland in September 2005.
IARU regional band plans have been in existence for many years. They are developed, reviewed and approved at regional conferences of the IARU Member-Societies. The band plans provide voluntary guidelines and recommendations for good operating practice that are intended to assist amateurs in making the most effective use of our limited frequency allocations. They are not restrictions and carry no regulatory authority.

No matter how many times the above is said, it does not answer the question, if the band plan is so very insignificant, why then all the effort to create one and why all the effort by the ARRL to defend it?

Unlike the US, where the FCC's Part 97 rules regulate the frequencies allocated to the Amateur Radio Service by emission designator, many countries do not have government-regulated sub-bands within their amateur allocation. Because of this, the national Amateur Radio societies in these countries look to a band plan to provide guidance for the location of operating preferences. In such cases, these countries are urged to promote incorporation or recognition of a band plan into their regulations. In the United States, however, ARRL's band plans will continue to provide guidance for recommended operating preferences including the 160 meter band plan that was revised in 2001 on the basis of membership input.

Please explain the need for the bandwidth limitations found in the IARU band plan in order "to provide guidance for the location of operating preferences." I see none. And, since you chose to reference the ARRL 160 Meter band plan, I see no bandwidth restrictions there too. You appear to contradict yourself!

One virtue of voluntary band plans is that they are more flexible and can be amended more easily than the FCC rules; writing them into the rules would be counterproductive.

I propose the bandwidth limitations be removed from this “flexible” band plan. While we’re at it, since it is so flexible, and completely voluntary, I recommend that all amateurs in Region 2 ignore it.

It is no secret that the ARRL wishes to do just this - write bandwidth limitations into the regulations, per RM-11306. Are you now claiming the ARRL's efforts were counterproductive? Once again, you contradict yourself.

As voluntary guidelines, the band plan cannot by definition be "more severe" than regulations; however, if the band plan did not suggest an operating pattern that is a subset of the regulations, it would serve no purpose.

This band plan does just that (does not suggest an operating pattern that is a subset of the regulations). So by your own analysis and conclusion, this band plan serves no purpose. Which brings me back to my previous question: why then all the effort to create one and why all the effort by the ARRL to defend it?

There is also a mistaken assumption that the new IARU Region 2 band plan is an ARRL initiative seeking regulation by bandwidth. It is not, nor is it in any way a vehicle to achieve regulation by bandwidth.

It happens that the ARRL's "regulation by bandwidth" petition, the now-withdrawn RM-11306, also drew on the Region 1 band plan. This is acknowledged on page 10 of the petition. The similarities between RM-11306 and the Region 2 band plan are the result of having some common roots, but the two are not otherwise related.

Yes, it just happens. Surely you could come up with something better than this. What are these common roots? And how are they not tied to the ARRL and RM11306? It is statements like these that lead to rumors. You've created more questions than you've answered.

While a number of Amateur Radio organizations and publishers support and agree with the ARRL on the concept of regulation by bandwidth as an essential element to the orderly introduction of new digital modes into the HF bands, ARRL will not be pursuing a rulemaking until some degree of consensus can be achieved in the amateur community.

Of course you fail to point out that many disagree with the concept of regulation by bandwidth, to include the FCC. Such an unbalanced presentation only serves to further weaken your case that the issue will be properly handled by the ARRL in the future.
The ARRL has produced no legitimate argument for regulation by bandwidth. Gratuitous assertions that "regulation by bandwidth as (is) an essential element to the orderly introduction of new digital modes into the HF bands" and are just as easily gratuitously denied.

ARRL has conducted an open process of soliciting input regarding matters of importance to the Amateur Radio Service. That will continue prior to the submission of any proposals for future regulatory changes to improve the Amateur Radio Service.

And this is why the IARU minutes have not yet been published.

We can argue endlessly as to whether what you call rumors were incorrect or misleading in this case. But such rumors would never have come into existence or gained the footholds they did if the process was as open as you claim. The ARRL needs to give serious consideration to hiring some communication strategy and marketing consultants. This most recent IARU episode is but one in a string of poor communications incidents at the ARRL in recent years.

As one of the 39 Member-Societies of IARU Region 2, the ARRL will, as always, continue to openly work to improve the Region 2 band planning process prior to the next conference and give its members ample opportunity to offer comments and suggestions. Members may provide input to their elected representative (identified on page 15 of QST), or to our Ad-hoc Band Plan Committee and e-mail address that was established in 2006 at bandplan@arrl.org.

Providing an email address only allows those interested to send comments. Based on this message and the handling of communications and concerns about the most recent band plan work, I am not sanguine that those comments will be heard and acted upon in a manner that is in the best interest of amateur radio.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #586 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:05 PM »

I" Sorry, the second grade excuse, "cuz other countries are doing it" doesn't cut it. If this is really such an important issue, a reasonable premise should be presented.

They probably will, if and when they decide to move forward with a new proposal to the FCC.

A premise or socialization of the voluntary Region 2 plan, before the vote, with U. S. amateurs would have been prudent if it directly affected our operating on the HF bands. Since it does not, and since it doesn't preempt our existing FCC rules and regulations, I see no point to it.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #587 on: December 11, 2007, 09:54:24 PM »

Using that logic, I see no point in the ARRL participation. If it can't explain to its members why it approved any action or initiative at an IARU meeting, then it is not doing its job. Even if I disagreed with the ARRL position, I'd have far more respect for them, and the position, if they explained themselves. It's not just a smart thing to do, it's their duty.

I" Sorry, the second grade excuse, "cuz other countries are doing it" doesn't cut it. If this is really such an important issue, a reasonable premise should be presented.

They probably will, if and when they decide to move forward with a new proposal to the FCC.

A premise or socialization of the voluntary Region 2 plan, before the vote, with U. S. amateurs would have been prudent if it directly affected our operating on the HF bands. Since it does not, and since it doesn't preempt our existing FCC rules and regulations, I see no point to it.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #588 on: December 11, 2007, 10:04:49 PM »

I have been listening to the news bulletins from WA0RCR on 1860 kHz AM Saturday nights.  All of those "2 meter CB-type of bulletin programs" are played plus some wacko ham programming.  I don't know how many hours it takes for it to repeat.  The bulletin starts about 2 p.m. Saturday afternoon and runs for about 14 - 15 hours. I can hear it by 5 p.m. now.  I think I heard the ARRL story last Saturday night.
- - - - - -
I received a donation request letter from Mary Hobart, Chief Development Officer of the ARRL.  They are $52,500 short of their 2007 goal for the Development revenue they promised to raise.

What is raised so far is:
Spectrum Defense Fund $453,217
Educations & Technology Fund $114,061
The ARRL Diamond Club  $313,547
Education Grant $135.563
Unrestricted Funds (?) $103,710
W1AW Endowment $20,111
Other Endowmwnt $17,633
2007 total $1,157,842.

The second to last paragraph -
"You and I have a mutual goal of supporting a fiscally sound and responsible organization that will serve you, our members.  When you make the most generous contribution you can before December 31, the leadership staff of ARRL will manage your gift carefully and ensure that it is applied for the purpose that you designate.  We cannot and will not do otherwise."
- - - - - -
I feel like one of the guys in a PBS studio - "won't you help?"

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
ka3zlr
« Reply #589 on: December 12, 2007, 04:33:22 AM »

Hello there Tom, How are you,

I was reading your post, interesting amount of monies, i wonder the monthy interest quite a sum i would assume...

They are Short and interested in the "purpose that you designate" interesting...I have no backround in accounting although i do understand fiscal responsibility, have been audited a few times down through the years here..

Considering present actions all i can think of: "how's it feel to want"..

Ya know raisng a little boy here is wonderful and when we go down to the BaseBall field with the other boys they do have one thing on their mind.."Playing BaseBall"..

interesting...

WA3VJB
« Reply #590 on: December 12, 2007, 04:52:52 AM »

I feel like one of the guys in a PBS studio - "won't you help?"

"Or you could turn the page ..."
W3SLK

« Reply #591 on: December 12, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »

Steve said:
it can't explain to its members why it approved any action or initiative at an IARU meeting, then it is not doing its job.

In this case all US amateurs, not just members since they are representing the US contingent.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #592 on: December 12, 2007, 09:55:37 AM »

Received this in an email this morning. Looks like some others are POed too. I don't agree with their contention that AM is outlawed (at least for US amateurs), but I do agree with their point about how the ARRL is not representing us. I say, "they" since I don't know who or what group wrote this.

===
The New IARU Region 2 Bandplan:

Mortal Threat to AM and Vintage Radio Operation!

Recently, the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU), a confederation of national amateur radio societies, announced its recommended bandplan for mediumwave and HF operation in ITU Region 2 (North America, South America, and neighboring islands). This bandplan takes effect on January 1, 2008. The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) is the member society from the United States.

The new bandplan totally eliminates conventional AM operation on all MF/HF bands except for two narrow segments on 75 meters and on a segment of the 10 meter band. SSB operators don't get off so easily, either, as the segments recommended for voice or "all modes" limit occupied bandwidth to not more than 2700 Hz. Such a limitation renders much existing radio equipment obsolete. Are you willing to plunk down $3,000 or more for a new radio?

Here is a summary of the new bandplan:

160 meters – no AM.

80 meters – AM in 3600 – 3625 and 3875 - 3900 segments only, 6 kHz. occupied bandwidth.

40 meters – no AM.

30 meters – no AM. (AM not allowed now.)

20 meters – no AM.

17 meters – no AM.

15 meters – no AM.

12 meters – no AM.

10 meters – AM allowed 29000 – 29300, 6 kHz. occupied bandwidth.

This bandplan reeks of the failed "regulation by bandwidth" petition (RM-11306) filed by the ARRL over a year ago. In the face of overwhelming opposition by the amateur radio community in the United States, the ARRL withdrew this petition, stating that they would "revisit" the issue. Could this new bandplan be their way of "revisiting" RM-11306? Read it for yourself! (Adobe .pdf file) Their next step could be to file a rulemaking petition before the FCC to require U.S. amateur radio operators to follow this bandplan. Kiss your vintage equipment good-bye!

We must voice our opposition to the various IARU representatives and we must do all we can to fight the ARRL, which seems to do a better job of representing the companies that advertise in QST than they do of representing us. If you are an ARRL member, drop your membership, making sure to tell them why you are doing so. Do not buy their publications and tell the companies that advertise in ARRL publications that you will not buy their products until they drop their advertising. Perhaps we should also petition the IARU to decertify the ARRL as the member society of the United States, perhaps substituting the venerable Radio Club of America? For the ARRL never consulted its members (about 21% of all licensed radio amateurs in the United States), nor did they consult the American amateur radio community at large for any input on this bandplan.

Here are the Region 2 officials of the IARU:

OFFICERS:

President:
Rod Stafford W6ROD
5155 Shadow Estates
San Jose, CA 95135 USA
E-mail: w6rod@iaru.org
Phone: (408) 238-4671

Vice-President:
Dario Jurado HP1DJ
P.O. Box 55-0812 Paitilla
Panama, Rep. of Panama
E-mail: hp1dj@sinfo.net
Phone: +507 221-3157
Cell Phone: +507 637-9326
Fax: +507 221-4685

Secretary:
Reinaldo Leandro YV5AMH
c/o Radio Club Venezolano
PO Box 2285
Caracas 1010-A, Venezuela
E-mail: mailto:leandror@bellsouth.net
Phone: +58 212 239-3192

Treasurer:
Noel Donawa 9Y4NED
98 Sapphire Drive
Diamond Vale, Trinidad
E-mail: 9y4ned@tstt.net.tt
Phone: (868) 637-4773
Fax: (868) 632-8255
Cell Phone: (868) 680-2004

DIRECTORS:

Area A:
Daniel Lamoureux VE2KA
2080 St. Jacques App 4
Montreal, QC H3J 2S1
Canada
E-mail: ve2ka@iaru.org
Phone: (514) 939-6456

Area B:
Rod Stafford W6ROD
5155 Shadow Estates
San Jose, CA 95135
USA
E-mail: w6rod@arrl.org
Phone/Fax: (408) 363-1360

Area C:
Pedro Rodriguez CO2RP
P.O. Box 6060
Havana 6, Cuba
E-mail: co2rp@jovenclub.cu
Phone: +53 7 730-2223

Area D:
Marco Tulio Gudiel TG9AGD
P.O. Box 115
Guatemala City, Guatemala
E-mail: gudiel@comtelsa.com
Phone: +502 2431-5914

Area E:
Noel Donawa 9Y4NED
98 Sapphire Drive
Diamond Vale, Trinidad
E-mail: 9y4ned@tstt.net.tt
Phone: (868) 637-4773

Area F:
Gustavo de Faria Franco PT2ADM
SQS 210 Bl "E" apt 501
Brasilia DF
Cep 70273 050 Brazil
E-mail: pt2adm@pobox.com
mailto:%20pt2adm@arrl.net
Phone: +55 61 443-8030
+55 61 443-1154
Work: +55 61 234-7456
Cell Phone: +55 61 7811-1121
Fax: +55 61 234-7456

Area G:
Reinaldo Szama LU2AH
Gorostiaga 2320 P.15 "A"
1426 Buenos Aires
Argentina
E-mail: lu2ah@szama.com
Phone: +54 11 4776-2503
Fax: +54 11 4613-3004

When those who claim to represent us refuse to do so, the solution is revolution!

===
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #593 on: December 12, 2007, 12:30:36 PM »

That out-dated IARU Officers list keeps circulatin' I see.

Rod Stafford is the U.S. representative but is no longer the President for Region 2.  The old Secretary Leandro has moved up as the new President, and a Mexican is the new Secretary for Region 2.

The IARU Region 2 Plan is voluntary so your radios are not obsolete, unless the FCC Part 97 Rules change.  So be on the lookout for a way for the ARRL to get Part 97 changed under the radar; by some lawsuit, it that possible?

I wrote Leandro just after the September 2007 Brazil Conference and I requested the updates/resolutions (if any) that were passed, and I am still waiting for them to be posted. 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #594 on: December 12, 2007, 12:55:01 PM »

Received this in an email this morning. Looks like some others are POed too. I don't agree with their contention that AM is outlawed (at least for US amateurs), but I do agree with their point about how the ARRL is not representing us. I say, "they" since I don't know who or what group wrote this.
===
The New IARU Region 2 Bandplan:

Mortal Threat to AM and Vintage Radio Operation!

Here is a summary of the new bandplan:

160 meters – no AM.

80 meters – AM in 3600 – 3625 and 3875 - 3900 segments only, 6 kHz. occupied bandwidth.

40 meters – no AM.

30 meters – no AM. (AM not allowed now.)

20 meters – no AM.

17 meters – no AM.

15 meters – no AM.

12 meters – no AM.

10 meters – AM allowed 29000 – 29300, 6 kHz. occupied bandwidth.

When those who claim to represent us refuse to do so, the solution is revolution!
===

The band plan chart in the e-mail is incorrect, and as Tom pointed out, so is the officers list.

The band plan does include an AM mention for 40 and 20 meters:
1/1/08 Region 2 Chart:
40M 7100-7300 KHz - Bandwidth box has (*) - (*) allows DSB AM 6KHz (page 4, at top of page)
20M 14285-14300 KHz - Bandwidth box also has (*) - same rule

People have too much time on their hands.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #595 on: December 12, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »

I recognize the text now, overall it is not my writing, but some of it was pulled from my original pass-along e-mail letter on the IARU Region 2 band plan, mailed out in early October.  The plan listing was correct for the time, the IARU revised the proposed band plan 2 weeks later.  That later version received 10/25 (dated 10/16) has the 40 and 20 meter changes.

I pulled the IARU officers list from the web or from someone else’s post and we did not know that the officers were changed at the September conference at the time either.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #596 on: December 12, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »

As ZGC, myself, and others have pointed out over the last two months, there is lots and lots of wrong info, misquoted info, misinterpreted info, half-quoted snippets of info, etc. etc.

The U. S. amateur band arena will be no different come 1/1/08.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #597 on: December 12, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »

As ZGC, myself, and others have pointed out over the last two months, there is lots and lots of wrong info, misquoted info, misinterpreted info, half-quoted snippets of info, etc. etc.

For sure, with most of it coming from the ARRL.
WA3VJB
« Reply #598 on: December 12, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »

Except Rinaldo.
W3SLK

« Reply #599 on: December 12, 2007, 06:09:33 PM »

Then make sure on  1/1/08 you face Newington and bow...... or maybe bend over Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Pages: 1 ... 23 [24] 25 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015