The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:49:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wide band grid matching techniques for a 4x1 RF deck  (Read 4184 times)
pwfallon
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:32:35 PM »

Has anyone experimented with wideband impedance transformers using torrids to match the driver to the grid of a power tetrode (4 x .4, 4x1, etc)??   In the past I have used an LC network swamped with a non-inductive resistor in my old 4-400 deck for the grid matching network.....

PW

WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:37:48 AM »

Look at the invader or ncl 2000. They did swamping. A BB step up will also work
but you will need a higher resistor value. I would load the tube side of the transformer.
k7yoo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:26:08 PM »

LDG and SGC, MFJ sell 100 watt level autotuners that work great to drive amps. Use a 300 ohm resistor to swamp the grid of the driven tube, hook the tuner output to the resistor , hook the driver to the coax and step through the bands to let the tuner memorize the settings. You can use a cheap tranceiver as a vfo. LDG sells their tuner as an unboxed module expressly for this purpose. I have done it and it works FB.
DO NOT try to use a 50 or 100 ohm resistor as you will need way too much drive.
you can calculate drive by figuring the grid voltage that needs to be developed across a given resistor to drive your particular tube and work back from there. Most tetrodes willl like this system and be very stable. The bonus is no bandswitch.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:40:43 PM »

Hi Skip,

Interesting post on the auto-tuners. Who is LDG and do you have a model number for their unboxed module???

Thanks & 73,

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
pwfallon
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 08:02:54 PM »

What type of tube did you drive with the autotuner? With regards to the swamping resistor value did you try anything higher then 300 ohms?  It looks like the spec'ed  matching range for the module goes up to 600 ohms......

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015