The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:15:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mod Monitor  (Read 3293 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: December 12, 2006, 04:06:31 PM »

I'm going to incorporate a modulation monitor in the form of a homebrewed O'scope in my 813 rig and mount this into the transmitter rack since I'll have some extra space to use in the rack.  I'm contemplating having at least 2 or 3 modes to monitor the modulation and other signals.  One mode  being able to monitor the envelope and possibly monitor the modulator audio.  The other is a trapezoid mode.  Need some input on any other monitoring modes I should consider.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »

Having the envelope and trapezoid modes is a good idea.  Maybe a spectrum analyzer mode?

For the trapezoid, don't get the audio from rectified RF output, use a sample of modulated B+ so you can see negative overmod, and the real relationship of modulated voltage to envelope amplitude.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:28:09 AM »

WHy not have the modulation transformer output be another position similar to RF envelope,...  that is a simple O'Scope mode. You might consider adding a tone generator as well, perhaps a single tone and/or two tone.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »

WHy not have the modulation transformer output be another position similar to RF envelope,...  that is a simple O'Scope mode. You might consider adding a tone generator as well, perhaps a single tone and/or two tone.

Good point.  I'd like to encapsulate any test modes one would use on a transmitter and have it all self contained in one package and then perform any test at the flick of a switch.  The more the merrier. Thanks for the idea.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015