The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:37:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Vortex?  (Read 12582 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: October 29, 2006, 12:22:22 PM »

Anyone heard from Joe lately? I dropped him an email with no repsonse and he hasn't been on the board since the 22nd. Hope he OKFINE

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »

Carl said:
Anyone heard from Joe lately? I dropped him an email with no repsonse and he hasn't been on the board since the 22nd. Hope he OKFINE

I talked with him on the twisted pair last night for about an hour. He was getting water in his basement from the deluge of yesterday. He said he may be on the aether tonight on 160.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »

so, he's at the center of the cellar vortex??

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »

Talking to him right now on 160 meters. He sends his regards to everyone on the board. He hasn't had much time for the radio or computer lately.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:02:17 PM »

Bummer, I spent the afternoon cutting up a tree with a bow saw and heading to crap out land.
strap on
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:03:34 PM »

You should sleep well!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 10:47:02 AM »

Hello Everyone,
                     Many thanks for the inquiry! I've been busy with the health issues concerning my wife and myself, and have only been able to make it down into the basement "Hamshack" a few times during the past week or so due to the situation with my knees. They're getting worse. My wife's situation has been steadily improving up until last night. We have to call the hospital again today to find out more information.

My wife has been weened off of oxygen for the time being, and has been slowly regaining her strength. All she can really do for the time being is watch television or sit in front of the computer.

Carl, WA1KPD,- I sent you a seperate email concerning your recent receiver acquisition. I may have something for it!

Very Best Regards to everyone and many thanks again for the inquiry. Hope to work you'ins on the band(s) soon.

Mod-U-Later,
                Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 11:33:01 AM »

"may be on the aether tonight on 160."

Isn't ether for 160M mandatory?   Cheesy

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

160 is for sissies and wusses Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 09:30:12 AM »

160 is for sissies and wusses Grin Grin

Nonsense, 160 is the "Gentleman's Band", were old buzzard transmissions are de rigeur.

So grab your smoking jack, pipe, glass of 30 year malted scotch, sit back in the large leather wing back chair and join us as in simpler times.

* 57520195.jpg (20.39 KB, 300x240 - viewed 414 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 10:14:52 AM »

So thats why the "old buzzard" transmissions are so long. By the time that it comes back around to you, you are half in the bag and just ramble on Grin Grin

by the second time around you are totally smashed and just fall out of the chair and pass out! Grin Grin

Oh, well I never cared too much for scotch. But I used to be a sucker for a good bourbon.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »

It's not like there aren't plenty of old buzzard transmissions made on 75 meters. Roll Eyes
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »

It's not like there aren't plenty of old buzzard transmissions made on 75 meters. Roll Eyes

This is true Grin

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 01:57:09 PM »

So thats why the "old buzzard" transmissions are so long. By the time that it comes back around to you, you are half in the bag and just ramble on Grin Grin

by the second time around you are totally smashed and just fall out of the chair and pass out! Grin Grin

Oh, well I never cared too much for scotch. But I used to be a sucker for a good bourbon.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB3JOK

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 02:49:05 PM »

I'm a beer man, myself  Grin

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 03:30:25 PM »

Joe,
Glad to hear you and  Mrs. IBX are on the mend.  Hope Mrs IBX up and running 100% soon and yourself too.

I know what you mean about the knees.  I have good days and bad days and the bad days get worse each time.  I'm looking at surgery in the not to distant future but I'm holding off as long as possible.  Good luck with the knees and glad things are looking better for the two of you.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »

Hello Friends
The concerns and postings on this Forum seem to be working for the extra long transmissions. I have had very nice QSO's with several regulars from 9 and 8 land and the roundtable just keeps spinning around about every 15 minutes.
I'm not dead set against break-in. It just seems at times that you are only going to hear the more powerful stations and the little weak stations get squeezed out.
I might try 75 and I think there is a break-in QSO on 1930. You have to be quick with the PTT and a quick mind....(not me....hi)
At least final amplifier tubes last longer on break-in mode.  Grin
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 04:51:37 PM »

That isn't beer, that's Budweiser. Yuk!

I'm a beer man, myself  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 08:36:27 AM »

Datz rite!! Beer makes you smart!!

After all, it made Bud Wiser!! Grin Grin

kc2ifr
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 08:48:40 AM »

It just seems at times that you are only going to hear the more powerful stations and the little weak stations get squeezed out.
How true....how true. Ever notice its always the gazillion kw stations that want to "go to break in". That way they can be the boss and piss on the little guy!  Grin Roll Eyes
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 09:27:23 AM »

How come whenever the topic of 160 Meters comes around, people seem to gravitate toward "OldBuzzardisms"? Sure, the people on 160M do there share of OB ops, but it happens on other bands as well.

To me, there's little that beats the sound of a well modulated AM signal in the 160M band. With the natural selective fading on the band, I like to watch the S-Meter of my receiver take slow dips whilst the received audio goes into a faint distortion, then recovers and reverts back to it's former full signal strength and audio fidelity. There's kind of a romance to it that isn't quite achieved on any other Amateur band.
It's a combination of both ear and eye candy!

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »

It just seems at times that you are only going to hear the more powerful stations and the little weak stations get squeezed out.
How true....how true. Ever notice its always the gazillion kw stations that want to "go to break in". That way they can be the boss and piss on the little guy!  Grin Roll Eyes

Wah, Wah, wah! You just have to be fast on the trigger and / or an annoying pest. I have gotten into break-in qsos with a 20w piss weaker and a valiant with a 60' antenna. You just have to be persistant. And dont give up easily. You'll get heard.

The Slab Bacon

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »

It's a well known fact pissweakers don't have anything intelligent to say anyway (otherwise they wouldn't be so pissweak). So why let them talk?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 11:42:33 AM »

It's a well known fact pissweakers don't have anything intelligent to say anyway (otherwise they wouldn't be so pissweak). So why let them talk?

Bang!! now lookie here!! "Squashed like a bug!!" the first rule of the pissweaker
always comes to play: "The weaker they are, tha longer they talk"

that alone should be enough incentive to get a real signal. Why strain your ears to pull a pissweaker out of the mud when you can relax and enjoy a big strapping signal. its kinda like saying why eat hamburgers when you can have steak!!

the Slab Bacon

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 12:02:47 PM »

OK CAWMAWN Steve,
Stir the pot!!!!    Grin
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: