The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:25:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1UJR - Someone Who Truly Understands and Appreciates Old-Buzzardom!  (Read 5143 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: October 23, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »

I sent this to Bruce and I don't think he minds if I share it:

I have witnessed a lot of tongue-in-cheek lambasting of “Old Buzzards” on the amfone site.  I have even participated in some of it myself, from both sides of the discussion.  In many, or most people’s eyes, I certainly qualify as an “Old Buzzard” being over 60 and licensed for over 47 years.  The term Old Buzzard has been used as a not-too-complimentary term in this venue, perhaps mainly by the younger guys.  It has also been sometimes worn as a badge of distinction by some of the older hams to demonstrate and serve as an indicator of one’s experience and longevity in the realm of amateur radio.

After some recent participation in somewhat contentious discussions (re: an initial post that you contributed regarding Amateur Radio dying and instant gratification) and what I considered to be a basic misunderstanding of how experienced older hams really feel about the younger generations, I just wanted to take a little time to recognize what I view as an truly remarkable and outstanding effort by one of the “younger” guys to understand and appreciate what “Buzzardom” is all about.  I don’t know how old you are Bruce, but I assume you are considerably younger than me.  At least, I know you have been a ham for only 10 or 11 years.

I believe that you have one of the most encouraging and inspiring outlooks on vintage radio and vintage operators that I have observed in my experience in this niche of our hobby. You have a real appreciation for the “magic” of early radio that many of us continue to remember and cherish.  You also obviously have a real love for the history and the excitement associated with the “Golden Age” of radio and the sometimes hard-to-explain feelings of real accomplishment associated with building and operating your own radio station. 

It is absolutely true that not everyone who enjoys AM amateur radio is a vintage or nostalgia fan; however, I believe that all AM’ers can recognize the importance of the many developments and events in the past that got us to where we are today.  I believe that even the Class E aficionados understand and appreciate the old technology and, perhaps, the primitive roots that are associated with early radio.  Someday, some future hams might be describing those nifty Class E rigs as boat anchors extraordinaire.

My appreciation for your view of classic radio and the whole genre of early ham radio began with a QSO that we had on 75 meters and a subsequent exchange of QSL cards.  I was pleasantly surprised to receive your QSL with its great recreation of a classic radio magazine cover.  I then went on to check out your wonderful web site and the great material contained in it.  Quite clearly, Bruce, you have a great appreciation for your Elmer and for the history created by W2UJR and others like him during that great era.

You have managed to capture many of the things that those of us who are perhaps less talented at expressing ourselves have only just thought about.  Those great old ads and illustrations that really define the culture and the feeling of amateur radio in the 30’s to 50’s time frame are just priceless. 

I am one who was first licensed at the tail-end of that era, therefore, my experience and recollections may be somewhat limited.  However, I really enjoy being reminded of how wonderful it was to look through those old magazines, catalogs and handbooks and dream about how exciting it would be to get my own station on the air.  I remember the joy of looking through the latest Allied Radio catalog and dreaming and planning how I might use some of my paper route earnings to buy some treasures for my station.  Those memories are certainly some of the things that make it so rewarding to restore and operate those old boat anchors once again and enjoy the sweet sound of AM phone and the smell of warm vacuum tubes.

Bruce, I just wanted to thank you for your efforts and the great understanding that you have shown for what made amateur radio great and for what continues to make it a truly worthwhile endeavor. 

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and black wrinkle rule!

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:02:06 PM »

Hear, hear.  Not only all that he's a helluva swell guy in person too.

One thing though, Jack, is that there's a definite difference between just being an old buzzard (crusty or not) and being a bitter OM with nothing to say while actively discouraging new hams or new AMers.  The latter, I'm happy to say, is very rare within the AM community, but that distasteful sub genus of our ham brethren is what many of us are lamenting as really being a problem in the ranks.  There are many, many old buzzards around that are both fascinating and educational to talk to, all the while eagerly sharing their advice.  Those guys are all of what's right with ham radio.

Or so it seems to me.

73/John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »

Most of the guys who complained about the "Old Buzzards" back in the 60s are OBs now themselves!   

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »

Hello Mellow Voices
OLD Buzzard transmissions have a good side and a bad side. There are a lot of experiences that are nice to share with others. I have been a Ham since 1987 and got the AM bug in 1991. It's nice to talk about the AM-SSB wars from the 50's and the hetrodynes from all of the activity and the restrictions for power on 160M.
But when the round table is big and the "highway" is busy with SSB and/or a contest, it becomes a problem when there is a long transmission, especially when it's from a station running 30 watts. Someone will think that the frequency is not in use and start calling CQ. Then the conflict begins, even when someone breaks in with a polite voice advising the frequency is in use. The problem is worse when the break-in mode is used. The others in the round table start doubling with the long winded transmitter and make their comments.........the zoo effect has just begun.
Just an empty barrel making noise. Maybe I missed the point of the discussion  Undecided
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »

Hi Jack:

I agree.

I have met Bruce a few times and enjoy the effort he puts into not only refurbing the old black crackle gear, but he describes them very well on his site and here.

I was licensed in 1978 and have always enjoyed the old gear as well as the modern Class E and solid state gear. A fun past time for me is to read the old radio magazines before modulating the pillow.

I enjoy meeting an Old Buzzard, as they have experience and history I do not have. I have met a few old ham who has a negative attitude...I just do not worry about it.

There is a lot of flavor in the entire run of radio years.

Dan
W1DAN

W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 12:53:35 AM »

Ah, thanks guys!  Roll Eyes
I have that warm and fuzzy feeling.
And I mean that...

Bruce 1UJR

* ham_3adt_large.jpg (70.16 KB, 800x595 - viewed 475 times.)
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:24:53 AM »

And I mean that...
Bruce 1UJR

Ah, Bruce, you deserve that warm and fuzzy feeling.  You are just a general, all-around good Ham.  The scary thing about old buzzardom, is how quickly it hits you.  It seems like just yesterday that I was operating portable at our summer home in Angola, NY as KN2JVM at age 15 in 1955.  

Now I'm a grandfather playing with my grandson, Alex. 

73, from Herb 
K2 Vintage Ham

* Alex, Dino, and BahBah Easter 2006.jpg (162.63 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 445 times.)

* KN2JVM at Angola NY July 1955.JPG (32.01 KB, 478x340 - viewed 436 times.)

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 09:48:25 AM »

And I mean that...
Bruce 1UJR

Ah, Bruce, you deserve that warm and fuzzy feeling.  You are just a general, all-around good Ham.  The scary thing about old buzzardom, is how quickly it hits you.  It seems like just yesterday that I was operating portable at our summer home in Angola, NY as KN2JVM at age 15 in 1955.   

Now I'm a grandfather playing with my grandson, Alex. 

73, from Herb 
K2 Vintage Ham

Hey Grandpa,

Wow Herb, you were a young JN at one time!
Shirtless and with the radio shack in the bedroom, classic early ham station.
All that is missing is the QSL cards tacked onto the wall.
Is that a Halli 17 on the left side of the desk?
I esp like what looks like an antenna wire JS off the drapery rod.  Grin

Do you still have any of that gear?
And is the homebrew looking item on the right?

The onset of Old Buzzardom at 1UJR

* dad and me low res.jpg (149.82 KB, 1040x1044 - viewed 407 times.)

* a headshot 3.JPG (22.81 KB, 168x201 - viewed 405 times.)
Herb K2VH

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »

OOPS!  SEE BELOW.

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Herb K2VH

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 12:07:38 PM »

BRUCE, W1UJR ASKED:
"Is that a Halli 17 on the left side of the desk?
I esp like what looks like an antenna wire JS off the drapery rod. 
Do you still have any of that gear?
And is the homebrew looking item on the right?"

No, Bruce, on the left is my Halli S-53A rcvr.  On the right is my homebrew novice xmtr: 6AG7 driving a pair of 6L6s.  The pair of 6Ls, of course, made me a high power JN station.  The original version of that xmtr appeared in the 1954 edition of ARRL's "How to Become a Radio Amateur," and only ran a single 6L6.  The power supply was on a separate chassis.  I built it exactly as it appeared in that book.  Unfortunately I do not have any of that stuff anymore, though I do have another S-53A.  Attached are some more pics of that xmtr.  The JS wire at the curtain rod is actually the end of a Marconi (if you'll pardon the expression Cheesy) antenna that ran out into the yard to a tree.

Great pics of you, too.  One is cute, the other is debonair Grin

K2VHerb

* High power version of KN2JVM homebrew Novice xmtr with 2 6L6s.JPG (34.63 KB, 488x345 - viewed 394 times.)

* KN2JVM station Angola NY July 1955.JPG (35.55 KB, 485x337 - viewed 384 times.)

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015