The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:59:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 2.0  (Read 12558 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: October 23, 2006, 06:48:17 PM »

Mozilla will announce and release version 2.0 of their Web browser tomorrow. But you can download it now from their FTP servers. Running it as we speak.

http://ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/
kf6pqt

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 07:02:14 PM »

Is it any faster? Any less of a memory hog?

Later,
Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:10:38 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up...Using it right now.. I like the look-n-feel so far.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »

Fellow WWW users
My past experience with Mozilla 1 1/2 yrs ago was it was much better at blocking ads and kept spyware out of your computer, and seemed a little faster BUT when you navigate around the WWW there were special plug-ins that were in Explorer that were not in Mozilla so, you were left high and dry. I deleted it out of my computer.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:44:53 AM »

Fellow WWW users
My past experience with Mozilla 1 1/2 yrs ago was it was much better at blocking ads and kept spyware out of your computer, and seemed a little faster BUT when you navigate around the WWW there were special plug-ins that were in Explorer that were not in Mozilla so, you were left high and dry. I deleted it out of my computer.

Fred

I had a similar experience.  Not only that but it didn't block pop ups or pop unders any better then IE.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 01:47:57 PM »

Wonder what sites you guys are visiting? I've never had one pop up running Firefox or Safari. Did you have the block pop ups box checked in the preferences. Were you allowing JavaScript?

What plug-ins are you talking about Fred? PDF viewer, Quicktime, Real Audio, etc. If so, those same plug-ins that work with IE, work with Firefox. Plug-ins shouldn't be a problem.

The best thing about Firefox is the ability to add extensions. These extensions add certain funtionality to the browser. The cool thing is you can add ONLY the ones you want, and not put up with stuff you don't want or need. One of the best extensions is called Ad Block. It will block nearly all the stinkin' banner ads on sites. Not only do you not have to put up with the flashing and goofy animations of these ads, many papges load WAY faster, since you are not loading all these banners.

Anyway, I'm not a Firefox shill. I don't even use it as my main browser. Just thought it would be good to let you know of the options.

Some others are

Opera
http://www.opera.com/

Good old (new) Netscape
http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/

SeaMonkey
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Avant - nice IE alternative, used IE engine and adds stuff missing in IE
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

K-Meleon
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »

When I brought up my new web site in May, I initially used my Firefox browser to do admin data queries and inputs. However, when drilling down from a particular data query down to the next level, and then using the back arrow key to drill back up, various fields would change data randomly. No problems like this existed with I.E. Several e-mails by the site administer and myself, to this day, still have not been answered by the Firefox people concerning this problem. Although I still use Firefox for browsing, any of my admin work, or any data inputs to “https” type-sites are done only in I.E.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 02:05:28 PM »

All problems with Firefox should be reported in their developer forum, not via email.

Not sure how problems with forms and https are tied together. Can you explain this?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 02:20:51 PM »

All problems with Firefox should be reported in their developer forum, not via email.

Not sure how problems with forms and https are tied together. Can you explain this?

I haven't looked recently, but there was an e-mail address on their web site if you had issues, concerns, problems, etc.

Since my admin stuff is located on a secure site, and since I was having problems using their broswer on the secure side of my site, I was getting an unsettling feeling when going to someone's else's secure site (bank, paying bills, placing secure orders, etc.). In reality, there may be no problems there, but until we understand why we're having problems with Firefox on my site, I opted to be a bit cautious.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:24:48 PM »

OK. So it's the devil you know situation.

Just read on the Ars forum that form data is retained during forward and backward navigation in FF 2.0. Haven't tried it myself though.

Most open source projects like Firefox use some sort of bug tracking database (like BuqTraq), called Bugzilla for FF. I don't think those use email as input.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 02:30:50 PM »

I use Firefox almost exclusively, but have an IE shortcut in my quicklaunch.  Some sites don't load properly in Firefox, it won't display MSN videos nor will it download Micro$oft updates.  If I run into a problem with Firefox, IE is just one click away.

I changed to Firefox the time I couldn't visit the site about the 6L6 tube.  Whenever I entered the URL for that site, it was redirected to some rubbish that offered to pay me money for taking online surveys.  I worked with a couple of people online who repair computers for a living, and we tried about a dozen things, but never could work out the problem.  So I downloaded Firefox.  It went right to the 6L6 site first try.  So I copied all my bookmarks into Firefox, and have used IE only as a backup browser ever since.

I'll wait on the upgrade and leave it to those who spend a lot of time tinkering with their computers to find major bugs, and see how much memory it gobbles, before I install it, just as I did with version 1.5.  I'd rather spend my spare time tinkering with radio than trying to work around problems with computer software.

My machine has 512 mb of memory, but once all the OS applications, antivirus and other security programs, and Firefox start up, I am lucky to have 150 mb of available physical  memory left.  Right now I am running 133 mb.  And I have turned off numerous frivolous automatic start-up's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »

OK. So it's the devil you know situation.

Just read on the Ars forum that form data is retained during forward and backward navigation in FF 2.0. Haven't tried it myself though.

Most open source projects like Firefox use some sort of bug tracking database (like BuqTraq). I don't think those use email as input.

I'm going to pull down 2.0 and install it, and see if there is any difference. We're also going to go through some major revisions over the next several weeks based on this roughly 6 month soak of the site. I'm hoping we're going to catch some obscure pointer or call that's causing Firefox to burp. Being a hardware guy for so many years, a lot of this stuff still is "learning in process".

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 03:19:15 PM »

I had similar problems with Firefox too but was able to overcome them.  It took several days to messing around with it but eventually got it to work with the various plugins common to IE.  I rarely use IE unless there is a website that doesn't recognize certain html code but other than that IE is covered in dust on this machine.

For blocking pop-ups, trojans and other hostile crap, I think the best thing that was suggested to me by Don KYV was to use an edited host file to block that junk and any other hostile stuff one can encounter.  A hosts file from this place seems to have a lot of the dangerous stuff covered.

http://www.mvps.org

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »

Indeed. Been using a hosts file since 1997. They are a thing of beauty.
John Holotko

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 01:36:11 PM »

Has anyone here downloaded the Firefox source code yet and gotten it to build on their local system ? I was thinking of giving that a try. Itmight be interesting to munge around with the source code a bit and try a few builds. There is some build information here...

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Build_Documentation#Getting_Started

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
n3lrx
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »

Wow! I just D/Led Firefox 2.0 for Linux, It's hi-hi Fine Business OM! It's quite a bit faster than 1.5.7 that I had previously! Pages load allot faster and the flash works properly now. I havent tried it on my Windows or Mac box yet.. That's next!

I just downloaded the tarball of binaries and ran it for testing.. My next test will be to download the source, tweak it and compile. I've had even better luck in the past with Mozilla products when I build it on the machine I'm running it on. That's on Linux of course, I've never used any source compilers on Windows.

Pete: I use Firefox exclusively and I've never had the problem you explained. I might suggest that it is the 'Auto form fill' option in Firefox. It stores entered data so that forms fill out themselves thus supposedly saving you typing. If you visit a site that has the same name on a form field it will fill it out for you. Even if it's the wrong data, it's looking at the saved data and the field name. Personally don't use it. I've never has a problem with secure servers either. I login to my server(S) and poke around without any problems. I use both Webmin (Local Server) and cPanel (Remote Server)  on SSL (HTTPS) without event. My servers also run Linux I have no M$ servers online at the moment to see this problem for myself.

Another thing to remember.. M$ specifically targets IE.. So any M$ site you go to will not work the same as it does with IE. They practically force you to use their browser and not that of a competitor. I personally hate IE only pages..  Or any page that forces you to use any particular browser. Your server is also running M$ IIS so that right there could be the root of the problem. Not saying that it is but it's an educated guess from knowing that is the sort of games M$ likes to play.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a fire fight these are just a few possible causes for the problems as explained.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 01:42:26 PM »

Mozilla team downplays first Firefox 2.0 bug reports

By Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service, 10/26/06

Bug trackers have had a couple false starts with the release of Firefox 2.0, a top Mozilla engineer said Thursday.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/102606-mozilla-team-downplays-first-firefox.html

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »

There is one very nice new feature with Firefox 2.0. Automatic recovery after a crash or lockup.

Yesterday I had 5 Firefox browsers open to different sites while cross-referencing different documents. I opened up a 6th browser and the site's content stalled the browser because it incompletely loaded a large document.

I opened task manager and got the dreaded Windows message, "Program is not responding, click here to close program".

A few seconds after I did that, which closed all of the browsers, a pop-up appeared asking me if I wanted to re-start Firefox exactly as it was. I answered yes, and up popped all 5 browsers again, tabbed on exactly the same sites they were on before, and on the same pages of content. Saved me a bunch of work and time! Didn't have to start at Google, re-do my searches and \try to find the sites that I had pulled up.
Excellent feature.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 03:54:10 PM »

There is one very nice new feature with Firefox 2.0. Automatic recovery after a crash or lockup.

They copied that one from Opera, but it is a nice feature.
John Holotko

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 04:07:20 PM »

One problem I notices is that my spelling check extension no longer works under Firefox 2.0, nor is there an updated version available. Guess this means I'm gonna have to take a one hour crash course in Mozilla extension development and see if I can roll my own.  OOPS!! wait a minute !! Seems Firefox2 has spell checking built in as a native function. No need to write an extension after all

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 05:12:53 PM »

How much memory does Firefox 2 gobble up?

- - -
n3lrx
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 05:20:52 PM »

Don, It shows about 50K on my Win 2K at work.. But don't let that scare you, honestly its faster than IE which itself uses 42K.

My Firefox has spelling check built in, I never installed the extension and it's there! A priceless tool for me!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 05:38:30 PM »

RAM is cheap. I don't understand the concern about memory usage, unless you run a ton of programs at the same time AND they are processor and memory intensive. Running an email client and web browser don't count.
John Holotko

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »

RAM is cheap. I don't understand the concern about memory usage, unless you run a ton of programs at the same time AND they are processor and memory intensive. Running an email client and web browser don't count.

That sounds like me. I'm infamous for running lots of intensive apps simultaneously. But on a 3.0 ghz machine with 1 gb of ram I rarely see a problem.

Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 07:11:08 PM »

Firefox is great, been using it since it came out.
just say no to IE.
love the spell check feature too.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015