The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:43:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 2.0  (Read 12559 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 03:28:45 AM »

Does version 2 still include the little search engine window that't at the top right of v1.5?  I have Google and an online dictionary in mine.  Very convenient when you want to check out a word in the text of a web page with just a click.

I notice you can download v2 in about 40 languages.  I assume that's to accomodate the spell checker.  I think earlier versions were only available in English.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
MICHAEL
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 09:39:27 AM »

This from Kim Komando this morning:
SECURE COMPUTING: STUFF TO KEEP YOU SAFE FROM HARM!

BUGGY BROWSERS
Internet Explorer 7 is designed with improved security tools. One tool is intended to help users avoid phishing sites. But it can be circumvented with a spoofed Web address.

The problem lies with the way the address bar displays addresses. It is possible that only part of a Web address is displayed. This has the potential to trick users. Scrolling within the address bar, however, will display the full URL.

Internet Explorer isn't the only browser to come under fire this week. Days after its release, supposed security flaws were discovered in Firefox 2.0.

The first flaw was one fixed in earlier versions of Firefox. Mozilla denies that it has resurfaced in 2.0. Mozilla said it wasn't provided enough information to determine the validity of a second claimed flaw.

There is a third problem, which has been confirmed. It can cause Firefox to crash. However, it is not a security flaw. It cannot be exploited by an attacker.

mike n7qmm
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »

Does version 2 still include the little search engine window that't at the top right of v1.5?   

Yes, the search engine window is still there, 2.0 will copy the settings you had set up in Firefox 1.5, along with all your search engines, shortcuts and bookmarks. There are some new settings that you will have to set up, though. For example, as you enter words in the search window, now it'll offer suggested words as you type. I didn't like that, so I turned it off. After a couple of days, I will say that 2.0 is MUCH more stable and quicker than 1.5, which wasn't bad at all. Ffox 1.5 seemed to have stability issues with Java as does IE6, 2.0 is much better. The spell checker in 2.0 is very nice.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2006, 11:29:33 AM »

Question for those who have already upgraded to v2.  Did you uninstall your existing earlier version first, or simply install v2 on top of it?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »

I just installed it without any uninstall. I also installed a build optimized for the processor in the computer. Seems to run a little smoother than the generic, fits-all-processors version.

Also note in the search window a tiny downward pointing arrow. Click on this and you can use other search engines than Google (Yahoo, Answer.com, etc).
n3lrx
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 12:17:47 PM »

No uninstall here. I just installed it and it automatically upgraded my existing version, imported all the settings and installed the plugins, and check for updated plugins. Smooth as can be no events worth noting here.
John Holotko

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »

No uninstall here either.  I just install the new version in a separate location so that I can test the new version yet still have the old version around for comparison,  in case of problems, etc. If the new version seems  to do okay  then I'll  eventually uninstall the older versions and free up a little disc space.

I also run several broswers, i.e. Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Konqueror, Lynx, etc. It's not uncommon to find two or three different browsers ipen and running on my desktop simultaneously.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
kf6pqt

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 12:45:49 PM »

I work with compoopers all day long for a living, which is why I enjoy the low-tech, WWII/1950's-ness of ham radio so much...

Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac, you name it, I mess with it all every day. Been using Firefox exclusively for personal use since the "point-oh-something" days.

Got around to downloading 2.0, its good stuff, and seems to run better than the 1.507. So its got my $0.02 stamp of approval.

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 04:59:52 PM »

I read today on one tech website the FF2.0 has received a warm welcome.  Apparently those who have installed and tried it are not impressed by it and have had some trouble with it. Anyone else run into this?  I have not installed it nor tried it.  I figure I'd wait until the bugs are worked out.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 05:11:44 PM »

I read today on one tech website the FF2.0 has received a warm welcome.  Apparently those who have installed and tried it are not impressed by it and have had some trouble with it. Anyone else run into this?  I have not installed it nor tried it.  I figure I'd wait until the bugs are worked out.

A couple days ago I managed to crash it twice. But it might have had something to do with the "Crossover" implementation that allows  me to use some Windows plug ins under WINE. As soon as I tweaked the config a bit it's run fine. I've had a rather heavily used instance of it up and running for days with no problems

Oh, and the couple of times it did crash it was able to restore itself with no problem, It's seems to be smokin here.

I haven't tried the Windows version yet so I can'tsay whats going on there.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015