The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:27:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W3F not happening this year  (Read 15180 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »

I think for the most part, we're getting pickier about how we spend our time and deciding that roaming around in a pack like old dogs is more fun than sitting behind a table all day.

Yep, Todd, I could never understand how some guys could haul up a big load of absolute junk, pay the fees and sit there all day like a prisoner.  But, I think some guys do that just for the spirit of having a purpose to be there. It takes a certain amount of social skills to wander around without an anchor like that... Wink

But thank goodness guys do that or there wud be no vendors at all. Still, if there were no venders and the same amount of people showed up for HossTraders, I wud probably make it just to hang out. Like many, sometimes I buy nothing, but am always on the lookout for parts to maintain the existing rigs. Vac variables, relays, etc are always needed.

BTW, I am looking for a few used 833A's for my new 4X1 X 833's rig. I have just two and they have holes in the plates from a past audio JJ-mishap. One idles at 20ma and the other at 200ma. Anybody, somebody help me! (Little Richard) Bring them if you have them cheap to sell.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »

One of the "vendors" at a local flee market had a sign that said something like " Please dont tell me that you can buy it cheeper on epay; If you can, why dont you buy it there??  .....  He also had dealings with that guy in CT with the unbilt Greifkit.

The social aspect can be very productive. 

I once say a YL at Rockchester, so you never know what you may miss by not going.        klc

Yes, I am on narcotics.

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 11:06:18 AM »

Still, if there were no venders and the same amount of people showed up for HossTraders, I wud probably make it just to hang out.

You just reminded me of something, Tom:

This has come up in the past, and it came up again Sunday when I was talking with 'PJP via LL. He mentioned how, 'back in the day' things were much more like a convention of sorts, less like a flea market. I remembered coming across some old flyers in a box of my junk for the Burlington Amateur Radio Club conference back in the 50s. These were big events, 1-2 days, and involved a host of events. Forums, presentations, dinner, dancing, other ceremonies....the flea market aspect was only one piece of the larger picture. They didn't have a lot of them, either.

Joe says he thinks things will revert back more to this format and I tend to agree. Mainly because those of us who are truly interested will go, even if only to hang out and stuff our faces. The radio social event of the year, and bring along anything you want to get rid of. The milsurplus gang, and the AM crowd especially are a very social bunch, helping out each other with advice, parts, antenna parties, even rigs when needed. Free or very reasonable, money isn't the focus.

I don't think they will replace a Hopkinton or Dayton, but if you look at what we do at the big 'fests, it seems to track pretty well. I know there used to be a group that gathered in NH during the winter for coffee, lunch/dinner, maybe some parts swapping and the occasional talk by someone. Not sure what happened to them?

As far as selling goes for me, it's a means to an end. To get rid of stuff or finance more (or pay my ridiculous property taxes GRRRR). I certainly don't do it to make money, more to raise what is needed for a specific reason. Trading and even giving stuff away is easier and preferrable to me.

BTW, I am looking for a few used 833A's for my new 4X1 X 833's rig. I have just two and they have holes in the plates from a past audio JJ-mishap. One idles at 20ma and the other at 200ma. Anybody, somebody help me! (Little Richard) Bring them if you have them cheap to sell.

Ha! I love that commercial with Little Richard in it. "Help me! Somebody HELP me!" "Mashed Potatoes....Gravy....CRANberry sauce!!"

I might be able to help you out with the big bottles. After I return next week, I'm going to list my Raytheon RA-1000 BC transmitter for sale since I'm moving and won't have time in the foreseeable future to deal with it. It came with *20* 833s, so if it doesn't sell fast or the buyer wants to p&m about price, chances are good I can free some up. All used from what I can tell, mix of brands, willing to test them if someone has a rig we can throw them into. One of the guys said he wanted this rig but hasn't returned my call, so stay tuned....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »

I used to have a flyer from the Delmarva Radio Club's convention held in the 1930's. It included dinners, dancing, bathing beauty contests, and numerous meetings/forums. No mention of buying or selling. It was held in several hotels in Ocean City, MD. Nothing like have a fest ocean side. Cool.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 11:45:17 AM »

Todd,

Great on the possibility of acquiring some 833A's!  I'll bet the new owner of the rig will not flinch if he gets 20 or 18 tubes with it.... Cheesy

Tell ya what... if you feel like it, just pick out two of the best looking ones and bring them to HossTraders and I'll buy 'em.  I'm now in the testing mode for this rig and  building up the new WA3KLR designed solid state FET cathode driver for the 833A's.  The 4X1 final works FB and puts out plenty of RF.

As for the flea markets/fests ... what might happen is the same as when there is a saturation of supply - and the demand dries up in the economy. Take the Internet dot.com boom and bust. Or maybe the computer vendors a few years back.  When there is too much competition and fewer customers, few are making ends meet.  The little ones drop out and the big ones consolidate to take over the whole market.

I can foresee much fewer events. The big ones will remain and take up the slack like Dayton, Rochester,NY, Hosstraders, and the ARRL Boxborough Convention types.  The evidence from Gaithersburg and the smaller flea markets starting to fail is ample evidence of this. Even the big ones are hurting in various ways.

Yes, the observation of the 50's flea market being more of a social event is an excellent point. It's coming full circle. The thing for us to do is to simply have as much fun as we can and stress the social aspect of going there. This way if the vendors are sparse we will not be disappointed.

Though, for some reason, at HossTraders, I aways seem to come back with what I was looking for. I make a list of parts and magically they are there. Having a good time is never a question. This is a 100% probability. Is all a matter of attitude. (As The Apeman says)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k3zrf

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2006, 08:24:25 PM »

I used to have a flyer from the Delmarva Radio Club's convention held in the 1930's. It included dinners, dancing, bathing beauty contests, and numerous meetings/forums. No mention of buying or selling. It was held in several hotels in Ocean City, MD. Nothing like have a fest ocean side. Cool.

Dudes knew how to have a good time! Variety is the spice of life so some say. Cool Ifin's it's ocean side jtd and exi could be co-chairmen!

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015