The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:53:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Vegetarians Here?  (Read 60224 times)
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2006, 06:00:53 PM »

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of
life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

Albert Einstein

WA1GFZ

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »

Bob,
I used to run 15 miles a week before I blew a disc. I really miss it.
You can still eat a good amount but burn it off easily.
My system is too efficient. Like the pack rat I am I don't miss anything
as I process grub.
Well Glenn that is a good one from Albert.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2006, 06:26:29 PM »

well I had a good reply here, and lost it. I moderate meat now, got my cholesterol
down. weights up cuz I havn't been running - I will fix when back in tucson. nothing
beats a good prime rib or ribs and a pint good beer! vegatarians, skinny running
sticks have huge egos, like they will escape cancer and heart disease. my brother
was like that, dead of cancer 12 yrs ago.. moderate.. tom, shushi, I lost weight
on it and love it! tx for turning me on to it with chuck some years back in
berlin ma!

D

am forever!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »

5 hours into thread and 3 pages allready....  Will this turn into another T** N*****  rampage?        .... ..            klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2006, 06:52:55 PM »

That's pretty cut and dry Steve...  What's inaccurate about it?...

"The stomach acid of a carnivore is 20 times stronger than ours, "

"...29-foot intestinal tract. We share this elongated design with other herbivores so that we may enjoy a gradual absorption of our plant-based foods in the digestion process. Carnivores have a short digestive tract so that the rapidly-putrefying flesh can make a quick exit.

Why don't you show some "facts" that prove this to be false?

I did. Show me a carnivore with opposable thumbs and the ability to cut its own meat. Until you do that, you have proven nothing.

Further, the fact that humans are designed to eat meat is self evident. We've been doing it for millions of years and have not died out. In fact, we've flourished. So, there, I presented several billion facts that prove false your premise. I'll start listening when you present several billion in return, since you seem to want to keep score.  Grin

David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2006, 07:15:43 PM »

This is what I learned in my Health Sciences Biology class.  You can choose to believe it or not based on yoru own beliefs or not.  It makes no difference to me.

Humans are neither strict herbivore nor strict carnivore.  We, just like other advanced primates, are opportunistic omnivores by nature.  We evolved to and can subsist on fruit, and berries (but not well on grass or bark, as we can not digest celulose, that was left to the cud chewers like deer and cows).  But we have the ability to eat and digest meat protein to carry us through lean times as well as to feed our big brains (<http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5641/brain.wav>) with the kind of energy it needs.  This was further re-enforced and was re-enforced by our improved ability to make tools, communicate, and hunt.

David, K3TUE
John Holotko

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »

This is what I learned in my Health Sciences Biology class.  You can choose to believe it or not based on yoru own beliefs or not.  It makes no difference to me.

Humans are neither strict herbivore nor strict carnivore.  We, just like other advanced primates, are opportunistic omnivores by nature.  We evolved to and can subsist on fruit, and berries (but not well on grass or bark, as we can not digest celulose, that was left to the cud chewers like deer and cows).  But we have the ability to eat and digest meat protein to carry us through lean times as well as to feed our big brains (<http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5641/brain.wav>) with the kind of energy it needs.  This was further re-enforced and was re-enforced by our improved ability to make tools, communicate, and hunt.

This is consistant with human history. From the earliest days "man" thrived on either meat, depending on conditions, locations etc, and "man" thrived on plants. Some survived almost entirely on a vegetarian diet, others survived primarilly on a meat diet and still others survived on both.  Now which is the healthier diet in todays modern era is debatable.  There is evidence to indicate that a vegitarian diet is the healthier of the two. However this does not mean that one must be a strict vegetarian to be healthy. It is entirely possible  to incorporate meatinto the diet and still retain good  health. These days it is mostly  a personal choice, In days gone byit was often a matter of what was available.

One side note. One need not eatmeatto enjoy good tasting food. Give me some rice, red beans, some hot chiles, some tomatoes, onions, garlic and I'll do quite nicely. Throwing in a little meat into the miox does add for  a nice touch.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
kc2ifr
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »

Im trying to figure out which way my thums point...............looks like usually towards the steak knife.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2006, 08:13:40 PM »

well I had a good reply here, and lost it.  vegatarians, skinny running
sticks have huge egos, like they will escape cancer and heart disease. tom, shushi, I lost weight on it and love it! tx for turning me on to it with chuck some years back in
berlin ma!
D

Dino,

Yes, shushi will always be a joy of my life, no matter what kind of diet I have. Glad you like it. There's been quite a number of hams turned onto shushi. It's addicting.

BTW, during an active thread, sometimes when we are typing, another post goes up and we get a red letter warning. You need to hit the post button again or yours will be lost. It's happened to me a few times til I realized.

As for skinny, weak vegetarians...  The guy below is a big advocate of vegitarism.Glenn posted the url earlier. One thing I found interesting is that he says all human required vitamins, ingredients, bulk, etc are available in plants. There is nothing in meats that plants cannot supply. It is simply a matter of personal preference to eat meat. He goes on to say that every meat/animal we eat gets ITS nutrition from plants. (beef, chickens, hogs, etc) So why not cut out the middle man?   Grin  I found that interesting. He went on to say that unlike eating plants, meats give us additional things that we don't need, like fats, cholestoral and other stuff. Here's his site: http://www.bobbyrock.com/foryourhealth.html

Here's a picture of this "skinny" vegetarian - his name Bobby Rock:  (Looks like he's ready to kick some meat-eater ass)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2006, 08:17:42 PM »

Wow! Another Fabio wanna be. Good one Tom! Grin

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »

Wow! Another Fabio wanna be. Good one Tom! Grin

Grin Grin Grin

You're right!  I didn't even realize it. HAHAHA   I'll bet if you were to Photo Shop his hair blonde, you wouldn't know if it was Fabio or real butter. 

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W2JTD

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2006, 08:44:11 PM »

Vegetarian for the past 34 years.
- W2JTD

Paul,

I've heard you mention this on the air over the years. Please tell us more. What kind of meals have you settled on as staples and where do you shop, etc?

What do you think of fish and shushi in light of your present diet? 

Any tips on this subject would be much appreciated, OM!

Hi Tom -

I eat a lot of Indian food, just because I like it. I can't claim any physical benefits as I always was a skinny geek who never worked out. I have also recently (in the last 2 years) discovered that I suffered from an intolerance to wheat gluten (apparently the reason for my skinny body. I still get laid a lot, though) so no wheat, barley, oats or rye. Gin and tonic is OK!

Why a vegetarian? Way back in time, I heard the Beatles were vegetarians and it sounded cool so I gave it a try. Grew my hair out too. Then I just stuck with it as a matter of personal choice.

Food is a funny topic, like religion or politics (look at this this long thread). Interesting how passionate some of us are about our various points of view, and how judgemental we can be of others.

Just my 3 cents. Eat, drink and enjoy. QTF?

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2006, 07:54:02 AM »

Food is a funny topic, like religion or politics (look at this this long thread). Interesting how passionate some of us are about our various points of view, and how judgemental we can be of others.

Well said Paul. What I don't understand is why some get so defensive about the vege lifestyle choice.
Oh well..... like you said; eat, drink be happy !!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2006, 08:16:32 AM »

Tom Vu,
              If Sushi is the joy of your life, you seriously need to find a woman Grin Grin

I used to love sushi untill I got food poisoning from it. After running from both ends for 3 days that was enough!  Like bill says "once bitten twice shy."

Man is definately an omnivore, but extreme eating habbits to either side are a bit wierd. I do enjoy a nice salad with my bloody rare steak!!

As far as GOOD red meat goes all that I can say is " in the mouth, down past the gums, look out stomach, here it comes!!"

The problem here is that too many hams are pissing and moaning on a bulletin board instead of getting on the air and operating!! Listen to the "AM window" on 75 these days and no one is on the air!! It's a lot more fun to piss and moan, and take pokes at each other live on the air!! Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
John Holotko

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2006, 08:19:45 AM »

Vegetarian for the past 34 years.
- W2JTD

Paul,

I've heard you mention this on the air over the years. Please tell us more. What kind of meals have you settled on as staples and where do you shop, etc?

What do you think of fish and shushi in light of your present diet? 

Any tips on this subject would be much appreciated, OM!

Hi Tom -

I eat a lot of Indian food, just because I like it. I can't claim any physical benefits as I always was a skinny geek who never worked out. I have also recently (in the last 2 years) discovered that I suffered from an intolerance to wheat gluten (apparently the reason for my skinny body. I still get laid a lot, though) so no wheat, barley, oats or rye. Gin and tonic is OK!

Why a vegetarian? Way back in time, I heard the Beatles were vegetarians and it sounded cool so I gave it a try. Grew my hair out too. Then I just stuck with it as a matter of personal choice.

Just my 3 cents. Eat, drink and enjoy. QTF?

Indian food is great.The hotter the better for me  though. Speaking of vegetables  I love  hot peppers. I am known for eating hot peppers raw with nothiong else. I also add them liberally to salads,chili, and almost everything.  I have also acqured a strong tolerance to hot pepper. I don't consider stuff like tabasco sauce or Texas Pete's to be particularly hot. Things that are intolerably hot and spicy to many are mild to me. But give mr a raw and well ripened chili and I'm happy. I could probably be a vegetarian as long as lots of hot peppers are included.  The more capsicum the better !! Yeah, one can live quite well on a plant only diet. I mostly do but I still like meat now and then.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2006, 10:26:43 AM »

My brother just turned me on to Tailand food which is very good.
Yup they eat veggie, meat, fish and fruit.

sushi gives me the feeling of poison when I eat it, so I don't.

Tom,
Check out hiland market in manchester for great meat.
Our local market in Scitico is also very good.
S&S and other chain stores beef smells like crap.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2006, 11:48:07 AM »

Paul/JTD,

Interesting on the Indian food. I would imagine that most of India is vegetarian due to their religion, etc. I wonder what other countries are mostly veg, like maybe China, and parts of Asia?

Yes, I understand about the wheat gluten problem you have. I sometimes feel effects from certain wheat products too. Hard to believe, really.

I wonder what your opinion is of eating fish, healthwise?

Frank/GFZ: OK on the Highland meat market in Manchester. I think I know where that is. Yes, I must check out some new outlets. That may be the solution to my meat headaches.

Frank/AHE:  Well, maybe I should have said that shushi is ONE of the joys of life. There are so many. The women come and go in my life, feast or famine - I get bored easily. Grin Variety is my thing in all areas. That's one reason why I'm looking into new foods here.    Just like ham rigs and bands - mix it up baby!

BTW, speaking of getting on the air...  this late Fall I expect activity to be booming again! After a big layoff there will be withdrawal symptoms from many. Personally, I have a new host of antennas and three new AM rigs I want to have fun with. We will do the big break-in round tables again where everybody laughs themselves silly. The heck with the straights. You will hear the Limbo Net, and a few new shows coming soon. 75M will be back to its old AM glory days soon. Count on it.

T

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2006, 12:38:06 PM »

BTW, speaking of getting on the air...  this late Fall I expect activity to be booming again! After a big layoff there will be withdrawal symptoms from many. Personally, I have a new host of antennas and three new AM rigs I want to have fun with. We will do the big break-in round tables again where everybody laughs themsleves silly. You will hear the Limbo Net, and a few new shows coming soon. 75M will be back to its old AM glory days soon. Count on it.
T

OK, guys
              you heard it here!!

Missa Vu,
            I'm holdin you to it! be there or be square! Dont wuss out!

The Slab Bacon

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »

In the mouth, down past the gums, look out heart attack, here it comes!!

As far as GOOD red meat goes all that I can say is " in the mouth, down past the gums, look out stomach, here it comes!!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2006, 02:22:19 PM »

The quality of life is by far more important than the quantity of life!

I'm 51, I weigh about 260lb, I smoke 2 packs a day, and I ride a motorcycle!!
So whats a little red meat gonna do that the rest already hasn't.
With all of that said, my blood pressure still runs around 120 / 70!

If I could have the big one and die face down in a big plate of linguini (or something else that I cant mention here) life was good!! And, a, er, furthermore I would have a smile that the undertaker couldnt get off of my face!  Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2006, 03:39:52 PM »

I think it's sad that you would equate Eating/living healthy to lower quality of life.  Huh

The quality of life is by far more important than the quantity of life!

I'm 51, I weigh about 260lb, I smoke 2 packs a day, and I ride a motorcycle!!
So whats a little red meat gonna do that the rest already hasn't.
With all of that said, my blood pressure still runs around 120 / 70!

If I could have the big one and die face down in a big plate of linguini (or something else that I cant mention here) life was good!! And, a, er, furthermore I would have a smile that the undertaker couldnt get off of my face!  Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2006, 04:01:33 PM »

Healthwise I don't see anything wrong with it.  It's a recommended staple or substitute for meats.
I used to be a fish/seafood-aholic myself but have to stay away from the stuff.  Sad

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2006, 04:02:32 PM »

I think it's sad that you would equate Eating/living healthy to lower quality of life.  Huh

Geeeezzzeee, Some people just dont get it. Glenn, I am not condeming a healthy life style.
I am saying that one of pleasures of life is eating that which you ENJOY eating and enjoying the taste of.

What works for some doesnt work for others. A meal of rabbit food just leaves me wanting for something that satisfies. Rabbit food is fine as part of a balanced diet, but for me it doesnt satisfy the soul. To me, total vegetarianism (try to spell that fast) is like having sex and stopping short of completion!  It may fill the belly but it doesnt satisfy the hunger.

I would rather die at an earlier age and have enjoyed my life, than give up that which enhances the quality to live a few more years. If you love veggies have fun, I'll take a good
 piece of meat any day!!  And remember that not all things that we eat are fattening Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon
                                                                        (with the fat meat shakin!!)

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »

Save them fishbones for Henry Jones - I wanna eat some meat!

Smells like fish, and tastes like chicken: That's finger lickin!!!!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2006, 04:08:17 PM »

Healthwise I don't see anything wrong with it.  It's a recommended staple or substitute for meats.
I used to be a fish/seafood-aholic myself but have to stay away from the stuff.  Sad

If it smells like fish, it must be delish!!  Eat oysters and live longer, eat clams and love longer!! (or is it the other way around??)
I love good seafood of any kind!!

But remember Glenn, it's still animal flesh!!

Good seafood prepared properly is definately a delicasy! A definate treat!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015