The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Vegetarians Here?  (Read 59794 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »

How about all the stuff they spary on fruits and veggies to keep the bugs away.
I only eat free range eggs because the commecical ones tast like crap.
I eat an egg every couple weeks.
I love fruits and veggies. I eat 3 hunks of fruit for lunch every day and sometimes I chase it down with a bag of M&Ms.
It will all kill you eventually......
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 03:02:46 PM »

Understood Frank  Cool

Glenn, FYI- we are not apes!! speak for your self!! 

This is not an attack fest on you, I'll always try to "put one accross your bow" I dont expect you to run and hide, I full well expect you to fire one back! 

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 03:08:41 PM »

"Simply put their arteries don't clog up the way ours do.  Nor do they require fiber (cellulose) to maintain intestinal motility. We do. "

John is correct, we are not strictly carnivors.... neither are bears.....

What is the inuit ( eskimo) diet like?.... Almost all of the diet is animal based.  The Algonquin term eskimo means "eaters of raw meat"

Whale blubber is Good Eats....

These factoids are brough to you by a rained in person. Do not jostle or otherwise agitate this induhvidual.

What? Me worry?
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 03:09:39 PM »

How about all the stuff they spary on fruits and veggies to keep the bugs away.
it down with a bag of M&Ms.
It will all kill you eventually......

Yep, the stuff they spray on our veggies - good point.  Lately I've been eating from the garden, but that won't last.

Bag of M&M's... Grin Grin   Lately I've been getting into the vanilla ice cream with fudge. That's good for a few pounds.

Glenn, your paragraph about man being designed as a plant eater is very thought provoking. Probably the most interesting thing I've read this week.

Thanks for the websites, John and Glenn. Much to read now. Think I will get that Moosewood cookbook and make life more interesting.

Keep the good ideas coming!  There's no right or wrong when it comes to personal food preferences.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »

Buddly, I'm with you,
                              Good food, Good meat, Get ready. Lets eat!!

Your right Frank ! They can re-write human history all they want to "justify" their decisions to be veges.(which, by the way needs no justification. If ya wanna be a vege .... fine.) Man has been a meat eater since the dawn of time. This "we were never meant to" hogwash is a denial of all we've been !!

I'm a hunter/gatherer. Nothing better than a great steak next to a big pile of mashed potatos !!!

* Gods Creatures.jpg (59.68 KB, 668x374 - viewed 723 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »

What is the inuit ( eskimo) diet like?.... Almost all of the diet is animal based.  The Algonquin term eskimo means "eaters of raw meat"

I guess you could say the eskimos don't have a lot of Victory Gardens growing in the Arctic... Grin

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

John Holotko

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »

Merci bon monsieur...  Looks like an interesting site. I'll give it a thourough reading.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 03:56:52 PM »

Just remember that P.E.T.A. really stands for "people eating tasty animals"

they are all welcome to sit right next to my smashed potatoes. (or even a nice pile of greasy french fries!!) or take a nice warm dip; in my boiling pot of tomato sauce!!
                                                     The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2JTD

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »

Vegetarian for the past 34 years.

- W2JTD

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
kc2ifr
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »

IMO....who the hell cares who or what eats who or what!!!!!
Man has always been a meat eater......I dont give a sh$# what my teeth look like!
Eating meat to excess or eating vegies to excess will cause problems.
Where do we come up with these topics?
 Shocked
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 04:34:11 PM »

Tom,
I agree with you on the headache stuff.  My wife likes to by the cheap stuff to save money and I can't blame her.  We're both frugal but I like good things too and I tell her don't be afraid to spend the extra money.  In the long run we'll be better off health wise.  I have her convinced now that organic and natural is the way to go.  Yes, it costs more but damn we feel great.

Genes play are part in longevity too.  Proper foods are important as well.  Abuse of the body will certainly decrease lifespan.  Smoking, alcohol abuse, drugs (even perscription), stress, sniffing solder smoke, chemicals, soft drinks, processed foods and sugar you name it. It's not good for you.

I love fruits and veggies myself but I won't turn down a nice filet mignon if someone waves one in my face. Love seafood but won't touch the stuff anymore.  Balanced diet is key.  I'm physically active which is very important for the body.  The body was designed to be physically active.  I currently weigh 180lbs. I'm 10lbs over my weight when I was 18.  Was I over weight at one time?  You bet.  15 years ago I was 250lbs. A coworker snapped a picture of me at the Mohegan Sun when we were installing their Jumbotron. When he gave the picture I couldn't believe how big I looked. At some point my health started to change and I decided enough was enough. There was the point when I needed to go from a size 36 waist to a 38 then I decided it was time to make a change.  I dropped several sizes in the waist when it was time to go up 38 by getting active and changing the diet.  I'm back down to a 32 which is what I was, again when I was 18.  I've been this size now for 10 plus years and I'll tell you I feel great.

I bike ride, walk, run when I can.  I push a manual lawn mower for 2 hrs when I cut the grass. I just feel great.  I hope that I make it to 100years like my Grandfather. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006, 04:42:05 PM »

Tom;

I may go back to being a strict vegetarian vegan (no fish or dairy) but I have to be honest, I love good sushi!.. It's so delicious!!!.. I can eat large quantities at one sitting and not feel all bloated like after eating other foods. It's truly enjoyable eating! Especially with a nice bowl of miso soup!

Would you believe we found two outstanding sushi places down here? One of them the chef is actually Japanese.
 Grin Grin

Glenn, your paragraph about man being designed as a plant eater is very thought provoking. Probably the most interesting thing I've read this week.

Thanks for the websites, John and Glenn. Much to read now. Think I will get that Moosewood cookbook and make life more interesting.

Keep the good ideas coming!  There's no right or wrong when it comes to personal food preferences.

T
WA1GFZ

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 04:43:30 PM »

Tom Vu.
I celebrate a hard day of construction on the weekends with a bowl of ice cream.
My kids refey to an empty as another fallen hero. Beer puts me to sleep so don't do much if I want to get anything done. Yup M&Ms are bad ........
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2006, 04:45:22 PM »

Obviously the people who are posting in this thread Bill.

IMO....who the hell cares who or what eats who or what!!!!!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »

Bob,
I need to do the same thing but I'm already active so the only way is to starve.
I've never had a riding lawn mower. Just got a snow blower 3 years ago. fc
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »

Frank,
There are times when I do the same thing.  Though I think skipping meals isn't good either.  There are times when I don't feel like eating but know I should so rather than have full blown meal whether breakfast, lunch or dinner I will consume something from the veggie bin or fruit bowl to hold me over until I'd like to sit down and consume a balanced course. 

I got a snow blower too.  I don't have a problem slinging snow manually but time is the key. Plus I don't do cold well anymore.  I have a 2500 square ft. driveway (about 100ft long) and it would take a lot time to clear by hand.  Liz decided for me that I should have a snow blower.  I guess she was worried about me keeling over in a snow pile when she wasn't home.

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »

- W2JTD

Paul,

I've heard you mention this on the air over the years. Please tell us more. What kind of meals have you settled on as staples and where do you shop, etc?

What do you think of fish and shushi in light of your present diet?  

Any tips on this subject would be much appreciated, OM!

Bob:  Imteresting on the drop from 250 down to 180 pounds. That great. Losing weight is all about mental attitude, no doubt.

Last winter I hit an all time high of 205. No clothes fit anymore. I felt like a frickin hog. Right now I'm at about 185 and need to get back down to 170 or so. About 15 pounds over. It always drops off in the summer and is melting off now. The winter is the pits for adding.

Speaking of steak - in certain high-end resturants I have tried steak and have no problems with headaches. It's the supermarkets with their "meat extenders" and other stuff I think. Any kind of meat I buy at these stores is a problem. Then there's MSG ... sigh.

T

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2006, 05:06:44 PM »

Tom,
Liz and I when we buy meat, whether it be chicken, beef or what ever we go to a mom and pop butcher or specialty store. The cost is a little higher but the quality can't be beat.  One place we go to regularly belongs to the gun club here in town and he has a store in New Britain and his stuff is top notch. We also go to him because we get good deals because my brother in law and him are members of the club.  So I think that has something to do with the lack of headache and loogy feel.  I find chain stores like S+S are simply factories.  Getting the most for the buck whether it's good or not but "safe". 

Losing the weight was hard at first.  Like you said, attitude.  But what I found was the physical activity was addicting.  I couldn't stop.  The more I did the more I wanted to do. And the more I wanted to do the easier it was to shed the weight.  Eventually things began to level off weight wise and it became harder to acheive the goal weight but leveling off where I did  was easy to maintain and I'm convinced given where I stopped I'm well better off for it. 

One thing I'd like to add.  A buddy of mine is a marathon runner.  When I told him I'd like to get into shape and shed the weight he was so supportive and gave me pointers, advice and encouragement I couldn't back down.  When we ran together he put up with my having to stop to rest.  It was his encouragement that go me to keep going and not give up.  Mental part of it is having a support part too. That's an important part IMO.

If I can find the picture I'll post it along with present day. 

- W2JTD

Paul,

I've heard you mention this on the air over the years. Please tell us more. What kind of meals have you settled on as staples and where do you shop, etc?

What do you think of fish and shushi in light of your present diet? 

Any tips on this subject would be much appreciated, OM!

Bob:  Imteresting on the drop from 250 down to 180 pounds. That great. Losing weight is all about mental attitude, no doubt.

Last winter I hit an all time high of 205. No clothes fit anymore. I felt like a frickin hog. Right now I'm at about 185 and need to get back down to 170 or so. About 15 pounds over. It always drops off in the summer and is melting off now. The winter is the pits for adding.

Speaking of steak - in certain high-end resturants I have tried steak and have no problems with headaches. It's the supermarkets with their "meat extenders" and other stuff I think. Any kind of meat I buy at these stores is a problem. Then there's MSG ... sigh.

T

Bob
W1RKW
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »

Not only do we lack the large mouths and sharp ripping teeth commonly found in virtually all carnivores but the chemical makeup of our digestive systems resembles the herbivore rather than the carnivore.

That's a silly argument. Show me a carnivore that has opposable thumbs and can use a knife to cut its meat. Quoting from inaccurate sources makes an illegitimate argument. Surely you can do better than this.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2006, 05:19:05 PM »

Steve, I drool over Guiness.  A man after my heart.

Bob
W1RKW
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2006, 05:23:49 PM »

Indeed. And I think it's vegetarian too.

Steve, I drool over Guiness. A man after my heart.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »

That's pretty cut and dry Steve...  What's inaccurate about it?...

"The stomach acid of a carnivore is 20 times stronger than ours, "

"...29-foot intestinal tract. We share this elongated design with other herbivores so that we may enjoy a gradual absorption of our plant-based foods in the digestion process. Carnivores have a short digestive tract so that the rapidly-putrefying flesh can make a quick exit.

Why don't you show some "facts" that prove this to be false?

Not only do we lack the large mouths and sharp ripping teeth commonly found in virtually all carnivores but the chemical makeup of our digestive systems resembles the herbivore rather than the carnivore.

That's a silly argument. Show me a carnivore that has opposable thumbs and can use a knife to cut its meat. Quoting from inaccurate sources makes an illegitimate argument. Surely you can do better than this.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2006, 05:51:50 PM »

It all starts at the mouth and it may be because of the design of humans.  If it isn't chewed well and pre-digested then something needs to compensate hence the long digestive tract......

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-6b.shtml

That's pretty cut and dry Steve...  What's inaccurate about it?...

"The stomach acid of a carnivore is 20 times stronger than ours, "

"...29-foot intestinal tract. We share this elongated design with other herbivores so that we may enjoy a gradual absorption of our plant-based foods in the digestion process. Carnivores have a short digestive tract so that the rapidly-putrefying flesh can make a quick exit.

Why don't you show some "facts" that prove this to be false?

Bob
W1RKW
kc2ifr
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2006, 05:53:14 PM »

Obviously the people who are posting in this thread Bill.

Well I guess I better check with the board before I order dinner. Roll Eyes
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »

Well I guess I better check with the board before I order dinner. Roll Eyes

Don't worry Bill.  Order up then we'll criticize.  Grin

Bob
W1RKW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015