The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:55:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to Buy a Pick-Up Truck - need opinions  (Read 33145 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2006, 04:00:40 PM »

Empty 2WD pickups are EVIL handling in snow and ice.

I can attest to this.  The only fix might be weight int the back, but that can make it just a bigger swinging pendulum.

David, K3TUE
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2006, 04:02:28 PM »

Yes, it's unfortunately true. Your mileage will go way down on ethanol. Ethanol has an outrageously high octane rating of around 120. Won't detonate  And its combustion temperatures are lower. You can get some serious power out of it, but you have to jet the carb richer like flushing a toilet.
That's the main reason they use it in racing cars. It also pollutes less than gasoline, but I don't think that matters on the track ;-)

Another downside to ethanol that no one seems to want to talk about it its bad effects on the carbs of older vehicles not designed for it. Alcohol can be highly corrosive, in part because of its affinity for water. They've been selling 10% gasohol around the Denver area for several years. I've had to rebuild the carbs on all of the small gasoline engines I own. Rototiller, generator and lawn mower. Symptoms are always the same, they start flooding out because the needle valve attached to the carb float won't close. Open the carb up and there's this nasty white corrosion and goo all over any dissimilar metal in contact, like a steel needle valve on a brass valve seat.

That's not gonna be an issue with vehicles designed for E85, but ethanol is nasty, nasty stuff in older fuel systems that sit unused for a while.
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2006, 04:07:06 PM »

What I'm trying to decide now is whether to consider a MANUAL transmission or not. There are many out there and cheaper. In this day and age with modern auto transmissions, is there any advantage to using a manual or is it just for preference, for fun? I would like to get some opinions on this.

What the automatic has over a manual transmission in a truck is a torque converter.  So many think of an automatic in terms of just no clutch and no shifting, but the added torque you get on takeoff from an automatic makes them the choice for hauling, towing, and plowing.  If that is what you need.

David, K3TUE
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2006, 04:11:20 PM »

Most of the vehicles you see rolled or in the ditch around here in the winter aren't cars, or 2WD pickups.  It's 4x4 SUVs.

No doubt.  So many SUV drivers who do not know better are sold on the 4wd and it gives them insane levels of bravado on roads where caution should be considered.

David, K3TUE
2ZE
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2006, 04:14:45 PM »

Yes, Bill, there are certain disadvantages to E85. However, anything that kicks our dependancy of foreign oil is a plus in my book. USA currently produces about 31% of the oil that it uses, that means we import the rest. In a post 9/11 world, that doesn't make us any safer if we have to depend on oil from nations like Iran, Nigeria and Venezuela. Anytime the leaders of these nations, especially Venezuela ( Hugo Chavez ), see's the price of crude dropping, all he has to do is rattle his saber and say something like " the US is going to invade us" or whatever, crude oil futures skyrocket.
Also, companies other than ADM which produce Ethanol are looking at other ways to produce it ( switchgrass, potatoes, etc...). A long way off in the future, but sooner or later oil is just going to run out, and then what?
Just my $.02, and climbing down from my soapbox...

Mike, 2ZE
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2006, 04:15:59 PM »

Yes, Bill, there are certain disadvantages to E85. However, anything that kicks our dependancy of foreign oil is a plus in my book. USA currently produces about 31% of the oil that it uses, that means we import the rest. In a post 9/11 world, that doesn't make us any safer if we have to depend on oil from nations like Iran, Nigeria and Venezuela. Anytime the leaders of these nations, especially Venezuela ( Hugo Chavez ), see's the price of crude dropping, all he has to do is rattle his saber and say something like " the US is going to invade us" or whatever, crude oil futures skyrocket.
Also, companies other than ADM which produce Ethanol are looking at other ways to produce it ( switchgrass, potatoes, etc...). A long way off in the future, but sooner or later oil is just going to run out, and then what?
Just my $.02, and climbing down from my soapbox...

Mike, 2ZE

Mike, I agree with you 1000%. But will the rest of the driving public?
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2006, 04:18:30 PM »

The reason that you can't find a diesel in 1/2 ton, is that they put out so much torque that they break the lighter duty parts. I do get great gas milage though.

I have seen them in 1/2 trucks, but not in a while.  Most I saw were conversions (one was an old Ford Bronco with an Olds car diesel engine in it and an Olds hydraulic power brake assist system as well).  I did see what looked like a factory job Chevy Blazer that also, I believe, had an Olds diesel in it.  The guy said he got 40 miles/gal on the hwy (probably an exageration).  But it can be done, it's just that they do not think there is a call for it to justify the cost I suppose.

David, K3TUE
2ZE
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2006, 04:23:03 PM »

Mike, I agree with you 1000%. But will the rest of the driving public?

At this time, obviously not. You can preach from the highest mountain, it isn't going to a lick of good if it cost people more money.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »

But if it can be produced to meet demand and then some the cost should be palateable if not cheaper.  Then there's the issue of either converting plants that process oil to ethanol or building new plants to produce ethanol.  I'm sure the environmentalists will weigh in on that in some form and create another firestorm.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2006, 05:44:29 PM »

Tom,
Contact W1NZR.  He has a 1973 Chevy 1/2 ton fullsizer for sale.  It was owned by an old town buzzard, Ed.
Here is the honest description of the Edmobile. Ed says this truck is a real chick magnet.
Goods: classic pickup, 3 speed floor shift with a hurst shifter and Genuine Hurst Shifter T handle knob. 350ci replacement motor with 30k miles.  You can put a full sheet of plywood in the bed, RI inspection sticker through '07. New bed sometime in the last decade, new paint sometime in the past decade. Chicks really dig it.
Bads: rust never sleeps.  It hasn't slept in 33 years.

All the other classic car words apply: rare, limited, immaculate, must see, tight, future classic, perfectly maintained.

$600 bucks means you could have the pickup of your dreams, get girls, buy a case of beer and some beef jerkey and still pocket over $14k.

Hope this helps,
Tom
wa2zdy
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »

I had a 90 Ranger, 2wd, until I stopped driving last year.  I LOVED that truck.  I'd bought it used and had a couple minor issues.  The shop I bought it from took care of them.   But it made a great mobile hamshack (http://www.wa2zdy.com/ranger.html) and if I were still driving, I'd ber driving that Ranger.

There's a reason so many fleets use them.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2006, 07:18:09 PM »

Tom,
Contact W1NZR.  He has a 1973 Chevy 1/2 ton fullsizer for sale.  It was owned by an old town buzzard, Ed.

$Bads: rust never sleeps.  It hasn't slept in 33 yearsTom

Grin Grin Grin

Yep, it would be a truck you could park anywhere and not worry about dings or theft.

I've found that trying to go past 20 years of service is limited by rust. About 5 years ago I had the exhaust system replaced in my S-10 '86 Blazer. The mechanic said just about everything underneath needed replacement due to rust. The brake lines, gas lines, emergency brake cable, gas tank, etc. I was on the second gas tank too.

At the same time I cut out four big body panels that had rusted through and brazed in new metal. Had the whole truck painted. The Blazer ran and looked new.  I put about $3K into this whole operation and it was good for another five years. Today there are new areas rusting out.

Bottom line is with the darn salt put on CT roads, it's a losing battle past 20 years. I've been told to buy a used vehicle from PA where salt is illegal. Smart people in PA.

BTW, I'm still looking, reading and thinking of what truck to buy.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AG4YO
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2006, 10:56:17 PM »

Just bought a NEW Ford F-150 for $15.5k.   Big 6 cyl and regular cab (has the mini suicide doors).  Pretty truck with A/C, disc player, etc.  Has regular roll-up windows.  Lots of room inside. 

Whatever you decide, good luck!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2006, 11:04:22 PM »

Just bought a NEW Ford F-150 for $15.5k.   Big 6 cyl and regular cab (has the mini suicide doors).  Pretty truck with A/C, disc player, etc.  Has regular roll-up windows.  Lots of room inside. 

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Wow, Chuck, that's a heck of a deal.  Tell me more. Why so cheap?  Do you have a listing of the exact specs/options you could cut,  paste and post so that I could show a CT dealership to try to duplicate the price?  Sometimes they will go to great lengths to match a deal. You being in Miss might have some bearing though, but for that price, I might fly down there and drive back!

I just haven't seen trucks that cheap, but then again, I haven't stopped by the dealerships yet and stepped on their toes.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2006, 01:06:26 AM »

I've found that trying to go past 20 years of service is limited by rust. About 5 years ago I had the exhaust system replaced in my S-10 '86 Blazer. The mechanic said just about everything underneath needed replacement due to rust. The brake lines, gas lines, emergency brake cable, gas tank, etc. I was on the second gas tank too.

Forget about a pickup, what you need is a stainless steel Delorean!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2006, 06:41:04 AM »

Bill said:

Complete with a 'Flux Capacitor' Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
LURD
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »

Hello All,
     I remember the chevy trucks. A diode in the alternater would go bad, and still charge the battery. The only thing was that the radiator would also go bad from the electrolite action. At least that is what I was told by a radiator shop!.

Best Regards,

LURD
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »

whatever you decide on, good luck tom.  as to radiator rot, stick  a meter probe in the radiator fluid, then other side to ground. if you start seeing substantial voltage,
change the fluid

am forever!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2006, 12:15:50 PM »

Bill said:

Complete with a 'Flux Capacitor'

But watch that re-entry.... it's a little bumpy.
Don't forget to take underware. They don't use cotton in the future !!!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »

Tom,
I was quoted 23 K for my truck in CT. Then the guy made the mistake of letting me see that it was at Dana in Northampton Ma. on the print out. It was the same week as Mt. Tom flea so stopped by on the way home.  A week or so of hostrading and I bought it for 19.7K.
Ct dealers are rip offs. The add all kinds of stupid feas including $280 to register it for you. I heard $14K and change for a Silverado on the radio Saturday so deals are out there. This is real late for left overs so good buyers market.
I rebuilt a '72 1 toner it was a lot of work.
I found used trucks are usually high priced. Who the heck gets rid of a good truck
after 1 or 2 years unless it has a problem or you happen to find a person with lots of money.
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2006, 09:10:20 AM »

Tom,
Do you still have the '86 S-10?  My '89 S-10 Blazer now has 245k miles and is going strong but as you say..rust is the challenge.  I just found a pair of doors on the www that had been in Calif.  Installed them this spring.  Its amazing how clean they were.  Also found patch panels for the typical rust-out areas in front and behind the rear wheels.  As you say, now other parts are rusting but I'm on the 20 year plan so every spring I'll break out the welder and fix something.
If you find a minty california tailgate, let me know.  Thats the next junkyard acquisition I am seeking.
If you need lower door skins, I have repros here that I wont use.  Was originally going to fix the original doors but when I found the super clean doors the re-skin plan was cancelled.

Have fun.
Tom
WA1GFZ

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2006, 09:21:52 AM »

Don't waste your time welding skins. They make some super epoxy and you just glue them on. It works great and no warpage. Welding causes metal to rust so the disease just moves with the heat. Think it is crazy. I've been in Aircraft factories where they glue wing skins on to eliminate a lot of the rivets. It makes for a stronger structure. One glued wing had fuel in it.
W1JS

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2006, 12:09:19 PM »

Article in the paper today says truck sales are off for the second year in a row.  You might be able to "wheel and deal" yourself into a new one.  Also, my office mate says the end of the month is a good time to make deals at the dealers, because they are looking to make sales quotas. 

Good luck. 

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »

....Also, my office mate says the end of the month is a good time to make deals at the dealers, because they are looking to make sales quotas. 

Good luck. 

Tis true.  My youngest brother was a salesman for a Saab/Volvo dealership several years ago.  When I was looking to buy a new car he advised that end of the month is the best time to purchase. Also it pays to have a salesman go up against another salesman.  I watched my brother negotiate a good deal for my car. It was fun to watch two like minds go up against each other.  And my brother is a stubborn SOB to boot too.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2006, 04:22:50 PM »

Yup I bought my truck at the end of the month. Sales guy told me he was all done dropping the price this month and I needed a ride.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015